short to ground and short to battery on a S150

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chatterbox

Hi first of off I would like to say hi I'm a newbie. I have a s150 and I'm getting fault codes 16-06 (traction lock short to ground) and 17-05 (hydraulic lock valve solenoid short to battery) my question is were do I go from here? Guess today I will roll back the cab and take a look for some loose wires. I checked to battery conections and the negative was loose so I fixed that but still same codes. This did happen right after I hit a hard bump and I was able to shake it enough the codes went away then five minutes later it came back but this time I can't shake it as much. Any help would be great.

bremery

I don't know how similar the S150 is to my 1998 763, but I had a similar problem with the traction lock. I was getting a short to ground on the pull coil for the brake. It turned out to be a wire that lost its insulation by rubbing on a clamp. My "break" happened right before the wire harness went under the engine going towards the rear of the machine. The ground and power wire were both cut. Once fix all my problems went away. If you have a manual you should be able to trace the wire for that circuit. I think mine was pink with a white tracer.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know how similar the S150 is to my 1998 763, but I had a similar problem with the traction lock. I was getting a short to ground on the pull coil for the brake. It turned out to be a wire that lost its insulation by rubbing on a clamp. My "break" happened right before the wire harness went under the engine going towards the rear of the machine. The ground and power wire were both cut. Once fix all my problems went away. If you have a manual you should be able to trace the wire for that circuit. I think mine was pink with a white tracer.
Short to ground could be a bad wire of the solenoid has failed and is shorting out. The short to battery does sound like the wiring harness has a worn spot shorting the solenoid wire to +ve. Check where the harness touches the frame, it could have worn anywhere along there. As stated, clamps are a good point to check too.

bremery

Short to ground could be a bad wire of the solenoid has failed and is shorting out. The short to battery does sound like the wiring harness has a worn spot shorting the solenoid wire to +ve. Check where the harness touches the frame, it could have worn anywhere along there. As stated, clamps are a good point to check too.
I forgot to mention that you should check all the wires that are not in the wire loom first. When I fixed my machine I pulled all the wire out of the loom, only to find the break right before a connector where it came out of the wire loom. It is also possible that the wire loom can wear away where it runs along the engine or the frame.

Miker67

I forgot to mention that you should check all the wires that are not in the wire loom first. When I fixed my machine I pulled all the wire out of the loom, only to find the break right before a connector where it came out of the wire loom. It is also possible that the wire loom can wear away where it runs along the engine or the frame.
When dealing with electrical mysteries, I find it always helps to start with the simple stuff. Clean pull the battery terminals, clean them, then clean the various eyes that bolt to the terminals, then clean and re-do all the ground connections between motor / frame, etc. Many an electrical nightmare has been resolved my simply cleaning a ground. If that doesn't do anything, the others have posted great places to follow up with.