The Mitsubishi 4G32 and you. A comprehensive guide to surviving poor financial decisions and overhauling a terrible engine.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

My carb lacks the glass window to verify correct float/fuel height, and I could not find specs for setting the float with shims as you show. Do you have float height setting details you could share? thank you. This is a really great asset for all of us, whether we have to tackle it all at once, or one piece at a time.
Interesting that it doesn't have the window, is it an original carb or did it come from a car? Does the needle look like mine or like the one from the kit that didn't fit my carb?

Mine was the correct height with 4 shims under the seat, but there's not really a lot to go on with that as the float can be bent or the seat/needle could be machined a little differently.

brdgbldr

Interesting that it doesn't have the window, is it an original carb or did it come from a car? Does the needle look like mine or like the one from the kit that didn't fit my carb?

Mine was the correct height with 4 shims under the seat, but there's not really a lot to go on with that as the float can be bent or the seat/needle could be machined a little differently.
In my later model 742B (with the two piece axles) the carb did not have the window either. Also, I had a brand new carb bought in 2015 that did not have the window.

I think that maybe that window was removed on the later carbs. I remember that my manual showed the window despite the carb not having one. Never had to dive into it though.

Dave1234

Out of order but worth mentioning, here is a Bobcat waterpump beside the Dodge Colt one:
View attachment 6162
View attachment 6163

Could you make it work? Yes, but it's not anything close to bolt on. The pulley mount bolt pattern is wrong, and the overall height is wrong, so you would have to make an adapter on the lathe/mill, which certainly is doable. The outlet is wrong, you could cut it off and thread a hose barb into it, or weld one on. You also may have to clearance the housing to make it work with the timing belt/tensioner, I don't know because I didn't try. The point is that the advice of "just buy Dodge Colt parts" is not going to work all the time. Bobcat wants a fortune for these waterpumps, and there was no knock off or aftermarket ones when I was looking, so I reused it. As of writing this there is listings for knock offs, and I ordered one for science.
After a lot of picture research for various Dodge colt water pumps, I bought a water pump for a 1978 dodge Colt--an Aisin WPM 006. It was an exact replacement for the one I took off my 742B with the 4G32 engine, and which appeared to be the OEM water pump. For research, I also ordered a 2nd one, also for a 1978 Dodge Colt made by GMB Lazorlite L 31-1049 ($18, the cheapest I could find). The casting appeared to be identical to my original, the impeller was different, but I assume it would work. I got both from Ebay. Rock Auto might have been slightly cheaper for Aisin, but their shipping is pretty high. I recommend the Aisin. There seem to be many available from $40-$70, but I suspect everyone is clearing out their old stock so they may not last long. I also later noted that the overflow tank for the radiator is below the radiator, meaning that if the water pump shaft seal begins to fail, the radiator will preferentially suck in air past the shaft seal rather than the heavier antifreeze mix in the overflow tank, and on the next warm-up cycle spit out a similar amount of water from the engine through the water pump shaft seal. Since no one is going to unbolt the outside cover frequently to expose the radiator cap to check the level, making sure the water pump is in good shape (i.e. not horribly old with failing seals) is really important. Your beautiful like-new engine deserves a new pump.

Last edited:

Dave1234

This all took me months to do because we were waiting on parts and machining for so long.

So, while that was going on I "rebuilt" the carb. This carb is total hammered dogpoo. I think I should have just ordered one of the Chinese carbs and not tried to save it, but it is still on my engine right now and is working okay. The carb the machine comes with is a Mikuni Solex item that does not seem to be at all available, I found some listings for similar ones, but they all were from sketchy sources and had big shipping charges or absurd lead times.

Carb and intake:
View attachment 6135

Not really a 2 BBL, she's got a plug in the one side:
View attachment 6136

Intake will take a 2BBL carb, this pattern was used by Toyota and Suzuki, so there is stuff out there:
View attachment 6137

Carb split:
View attachment 6138

View attachment 6139

This float/needle/seat setup is unique to the Bobcat. My kit did not have the parts to fix this. I wound up lapping the needle and seat with valve grinding compound and a drill. It never wound up being perfect but it worked. The red gaskets under the seat are the shims to set float/fuel height:
View attachment 6140

Cleaned up:
View attachment 6141

Rebuild kit:
View attachment 6142

Accelerator pump housing is badly corroded from water contamination/ethanol gas. I was never able to make the accelerator pump work, the machine does run okay despite it but you can not go from idle to "full throttle" quickly or it will stumble:
View attachment 6143

Difference between the needle valve and seat in this kit. You can't use the one it comes with, they don't work with the float. There was some floats available, and some other kits are rumoured to have the right valve and seat, but I didn't try buying a ton of parts to see because the carb is realistically junk even though I got it to run decent:
View attachment 6144

This all took me months to do because we were waiting on parts and machining for so long.

So, while that was going on I "rebuilt" the carb. This carb is total hammered dogpoo. I think I should have just ordered one of the Chinese carbs and not tried to save it, but it is still on my engine right now and is working okay. The carb the machine comes with is a Mikuni Solex item that does not seem to be at all available, I found some listings for similar ones, but they all were from sketchy sources and had big shipping charges or absurd lead times.

Carb and intake:
View attachment 6135

Not really a 2 BBL, she's got a plug in the one side:
View attachment 6136

Intake will take a 2BBL carb, this pattern was used by Toyota and Suzuki, so there is stuff out there:
View attachment 6137

Carb split:
View attachment 6138

View attachment 6139

This float/needle/seat setup is unique to the Bobcat. My kit did not have the parts to fix this. I wound up lapping the needle and seat with valve grinding compound and a drill. It never wound up being perfect but it worked. The red gaskets under the seat are the shims to set float/fuel height:
View attachment 6140

Cleaned up:
View attachment 6141

Rebuild kit:
View attachment 6142

Accelerator pump housing is badly corroded from water contamination/ethanol gas. I was never able to make the accelerator pump work, the machine does run okay despite it but you can not go from idle to "full throttle" quickly or it will stumble:
View attachment 6143

Difference between the needle valve and seat in this kit. You can't use the one it comes with, they don't work with the float. There was some floats available, and some other kits are rumoured to have the right valve and seat, but I didn't try buying a ton of parts to see because the carb is realistically junk even though I got it to run decent:
View attachment 6144
One thought on swapping carbs--Bobcat went to a lot of trouble to de-tune this engine--definitely low compression pistons (~7.5:1 vs 9:1), blocked carb secondary when a straight off the shelf 2 bbl version would probably have been cheaper, and the less than optimal vacuum advance. And the cam--who knows. The ultimate result was an engine rated at ~ 100 hp (albeit at a higher rpm) now putting out 36. I suspect somewhere in the hyd system is a pump shaft that is designed for a max of ~ 40 hp, and giving it more will only be likely to break it. A carb designed to actually serve fuel and air to a ~1600 cc automobile engine @ ~5000 rpm would probably increase the Hp of this engine, possibly to catastrophic levels for the parts it drives. Be cautious.

Dave1234

In my later model 742B (with the two piece axles) the carb did not have the window either. Also, I had a brand new carb bought in 2015 that did not have the window.

I think that maybe that window was removed on the later carbs. I remember that my manual showed the window despite the carb not having one. Never had to dive into it though.
I'm pretty sure mine is OEM. Also 2 piece axles. The end that connects to the float is like your original one. I didn't have any shims in mine. It seemed to be running rich, so I bent the float tab a little, eyeballing the float to sit more or less level when held upside down and in place, although it was pretty close to begin with. But I would like to be able to do better and know I had it right. I also didn't get what I would call proper adjustment out of the idle mixture needle--it didn't seem to make much difference, which along with smelling rich was what got me into the carb. I didn't find anything there to fix other than a minor change in float level. I also couldn't find any info on the off-idle adjusting screw that is part of the idle circuit.

rustywalrus41

How long did it take to remove engine? I have a 742 with Mitsubishi engine #1 cylinder issues engine spins about 180 trying to figure out if buying the repower Briggs Stratton kit is worth it

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

How long did it take to remove engine? I have a 742 with Mitsubishi engine #1 cylinder issues engine spins about 180 trying to figure out if buying the repower Briggs Stratton kit is worth it
To get it out doesn't take too long, I think it took me a week of evenings working on it and cleaning stuff as I went. You can have it out in about 4 hours if you know what you're doing. You can pull the head off with it in the machine, there is plenty of space. Also, you can take the valve cover off super easily (it's two hoses, 2 bolts, and you have to pop the cap off the distributor to get the wires out of the way), and that might tell you right away if one of the valves has dropped out. It's not an interference engine, so it would only be if a valve has lost its keeper and dropped completely. You also should be able to see that by looking in the #1 spark plug hole.

I don't know if the repower kit is worth it or not. Certainly it makes it easy, since they include what you need. I would personally look at a Kubota or other small diesel now that I have the experience of hindsight. However, dropping in one of the air cooler small engines would make the machine a lot easier to work on and would get rid of a bunch of the other hard to find parts. I think the answer to this question would be based more on what you want the machine to do and how much you plan to use it.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

After a lot of picture research for various Dodge colt water pumps, I bought a water pump for a 1978 dodge Colt--an Aisin WPM 006. It was an exact replacement for the one I took off my 742B with the 4G32 engine, and which appeared to be the OEM water pump. For research, I also ordered a 2nd one, also for a 1978 Dodge Colt made by GMB Lazorlite L 31-1049 ($18, the cheapest I could find). The casting appeared to be identical to my original, the impeller was different, but I assume it would work. I got both from Ebay. Rock Auto might have been slightly cheaper for Aisin, but their shipping is pretty high. I recommend the Aisin. There seem to be many available from $40-$70, but I suspect everyone is clearing out their old stock so they may not last long. I also later noted that the overflow tank for the radiator is below the radiator, meaning that if the water pump shaft seal begins to fail, the radiator will preferentially suck in air past the shaft seal rather than the heavier antifreeze mix in the overflow tank, and on the next warm-up cycle spit out a similar amount of water from the engine through the water pump shaft seal. Since no one is going to unbolt the outside cover frequently to expose the radiator cap to check the level, making sure the water pump is in good shape (i.e. not horribly old with failing seals) is really important. Your beautiful like-new engine deserves a new pump.
I wish I knew that before. Everyone just said mid-80s Colt, and all of the ones I looked at were like the one I purchased that is wrong. The Asin part is on eBay, but huge shipping for me, there does not appear to be stock anywhere else. I was able to get a Dayco P/N DP1182 for $21 CAD ($15 USD~) off Rockauto, and I threw an extra timing belt in the order. They had a couple other ones that looked right too.

I also ordered one from the Chicom scumbags, which I only found a few days ago when compiling the list for this post. It was a newly added part to their inventory, so it probably will be available for a while. It was $200 with shipping in. Not great, but I would have paid that originally. Anyway, it will go on the shelf.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Ah, that happens. They simplify the part to save costs, and in so doing make it very hard to work with.

If the boss is still cast into it for the window, one could possibly drill and tap it to take a NPT sight glass. They're cheap and available from the usual places.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

One thought on swapping carbs--Bobcat went to a lot of trouble to de-tune this engine--definitely low compression pistons (~7.5:1 vs 9:1), blocked carb secondary when a straight off the shelf 2 bbl version would probably have been cheaper, and the less than optimal vacuum advance. And the cam--who knows. The ultimate result was an engine rated at ~ 100 hp (albeit at a higher rpm) now putting out 36. I suspect somewhere in the hyd system is a pump shaft that is designed for a max of ~ 40 hp, and giving it more will only be likely to break it. A carb designed to actually serve fuel and air to a ~1600 cc automobile engine @ ~5000 rpm would probably increase the Hp of this engine, possibly to catastrophic levels for the parts it drives. Be cautious.
I thought about it a lot, but didn't really hash out my thoughts here. Their detuning of the vacuum advance likely is contributing to engine failure. They dropped the compression enough by using the turbo pistons that they reasonably could have run a lot more timing without any risk of detonation, and the lack of timing along with low compression was definitely leading to incomplete combustion. Incomplete combustion isn't great for valves, rings, the cylinder bores, etc. Changing the vacuum advance how I did will just lead to better combustion and running at part throttle and idle, effectively meaning that it makes more power with less throttle, but will limit full throttle power to about the same as before (it's a bit of a wash, throwing more base timing at it will definitely increase power a bit for sure though, and I did that). The correct factory solution to decrease power would have been a restrictor plate (Nascar does this) or a throttle stop, along with the complete lack of the secondary circuit in the carb.

I planned to just lock the secondary out on the carb if I used it. This would be the easiest approximation of what the factory did. I'd have to look at how the carb I bought is working exactly to tell what is best.

I suspect the pump would not outright fail from having a bit more power, but likely it would decrease its life. I did not check to see what else they used this pump in, it may be in higher power applications as it is. Their concern may not have been the pump, but rather something in the drive system, or this model was simply detuned a ton as it was intended to be their entry level/cheapskate model.

Last edited:

Dave1234

Ah, that happens. They simplify the part to save costs, and in so doing make it very hard to work with.

If the boss is still cast into it for the window, one could possibly drill and tap it to take a NPT sight glass. They're cheap and available from the usual places.
Yes, a good suggestion but scary in that the zinc is thin and brittle. Going to have to give that some thought anyway.

dfb

Scott thanks for this very comprehensive thread.

I would like to add that when I did my water pump I used a NAPA # 41143 that my counter guy tells me is going to be re-released soon.

That number crossed to an Aisin WPM-006 that i got off Amazon as a spare and appears to be correct. Currently listed there for $44.14. The listing says "Aisin WPM-006 New OEM Water Pump Kit".

HTH.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Here's the waterpump I got from Jeenda Controls Co on the left, which sells under the Bobcat P/N 6632822, left, and the Dayco DP1182 on the right.

Both appear to be completely correct. I'm guessing that somebody in China has fired up production of them and they will be sold under a bunch of different P/Ns and brands if NAPA is planning to carry them again. Likely this Jeenda company got them boxed and listed first because they wouldn't do the same QC checks or have the same packaging requirements. Either way it's good news for the longevity of these engines.
20240330_202801.jpg

20240330_202805.jpg
20240330_202826.jpg

Dave1234

Here's the waterpump I got from Jeenda Controls Co on the left, which sells under the Bobcat P/N 6632822, left, and the Dayco DP1182 on the right.

Both appear to be completely correct. I'm guessing that somebody in China has fired up production of them and they will be sold under a bunch of different P/Ns and brands if NAPA is planning to carry them again. Likely this Jeenda company got them boxed and listed first because they wouldn't do the same QC checks or have the same packaging requirements. Either way it's good news for the longevity of these engines.View attachment 6449
View attachment 6450View attachment 6451
The water pump I replaced had the impeller facing the opposite way, as did the replacement. I didn't look at the engine for how the coolant came in and went out since both were identical. A 2nd water pump of a different brand that was otherwise identical looked like these. So no idea if it matters.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

The water pump I replaced had the impeller facing the opposite way, as did the replacement. I didn't look at the engine for how the coolant came in and went out since both were identical. A 2nd water pump of a different brand that was otherwise identical looked like these. So no idea if it matters.
The impellers on these ones match what is in my machine. I'm guessing it doesn't matter much either way.

mechwarrior07

Hello and thank you for making this post. Very convenient and helpful having this out as my bobcat Mitsubishi 4g32 spun a bearing last month and had to get it machined, did the rebuild myself as well.

Couple questions , do the MBMD000727 Piston rings have two different compression rings for the #1 and #2, and can they go upside down? They looked the same to me, and I did not notice if one was chrome, or had a tapered edge. They looked straight cut and identical with no dot designating up/ down.

I've also misplaced my coolant overflow nipple that connects to the back of the head, is there any part number or something that matches alike so I may buy one from an automotive parts store such as Oreillys or Autozone? I would even go to a specialty store if need be. This is the sole thing holding back my rebuild from being complete and need to get it before Saturday so I can have this done for the weekend, as i have over 100 cu. yards of fill to move before rain season hits where im at.

Thank you

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 18

Dave1234

Hello and thank you for making this post. Very convenient and helpful having this out as my bobcat Mitsubishi 4g32 spun a bearing last month and had to get it machined, did the rebuild myself as well.

Couple questions , do the MBMD000727 Piston rings have two different compression rings for the #1 and #2, and can they go upside down? They looked the same to me, and I did not notice if one was chrome, or had a tapered edge. They looked straight cut and identical with no dot designating up/ down.

I've also misplaced my coolant overflow nipple that connects to the back of the head, is there any part number or something that matches alike so I may buy one from an automotive parts store such as Oreillys or Autozone? I would even go to a specialty store if need be. This is the sole thing holding back my rebuild from being complete and need to get it before Saturday so I can have this done for the weekend, as i have over 100 cu. yards of fill to move before rain season hits where im at.

Thank you
I would try the parts stores for something generic and metric that would fit a 1978 Dodge Colt. Failing that, I would consider buying a pipe tap and a short hopefully brass nipple and re-tap the hole to an American thread and just use a pipe nipple. Or maybe McMaster Carr has metric pipe nipples.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Thank you
For the rings I used, one was tapered, so it was the upper ring and the taper faces up, the other was straight and did not have any markings, so it's the lower ring and can go either way. Hold them against a piece of white paper or similar to look at the edges to make sure. I did not use the rings you purchased, as I purchased ones for a turbocharged car, so they may be different. All of the forklift parts I purchased turned out to be incorrect.

The coolant nipple probably can be replaced with a generic NPT hose barb, I say probably because we didn't even try to get it out of my head. I would purchase one in brass, they're available pretty much anywhere including the likes of Homedepot. There really is no such thing as metric pipe thread, they just use NPT but on the tight side of the spec, so worst case you will need to use the correct NPT tap to slightly open the thread up so your fitting will engage with adequate thread, or you may not need to if the fitting is also cut towards the undersize.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Latest posts