Fuel cap 743B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wbecker

Just wondering, why is there a negative pressure in the fuel tank? I hear air rush in as I remove the fuel cap. I thought there was something wrong with the vent in the cap, so I washed it in soapy water, took the valve apart. It looks to be working just as it was designed. So why would they want to have a negative pressure in the fuel tank? No operational problem, except that the tank is slightly sucked in from all these years of a vacuum in the tank. Ideas? Bill B

2003rubiblue

I have two thoughts real quick: Is there a breather off the tank somewhere else that is clogged up? The other is it can't be too bad unless you have fuel starvation issues.

reaperman

I've noticed this on several different bobcats and always wondered why also. My diesel pickup truck is the same way. So I figure it is what it is everything seems to run properly.

jerry

I've noticed this on several different bobcats and always wondered why also. My diesel pickup truck is the same way. So I figure it is what it is everything seems to run properly.
Pretty sure you need a new cap if you are getting a vacuum in the tank. New cap wouldn't cost all that much. I have never found a vacuum either on the skidsteer tank or the pickup. On a gas powered car if the cap isn't sealed you get a check engine light but that's a different system. New Dodge trucks don't have a fuel cap I guess.

OP
OP
W

wbecker

Pretty sure you need a new cap if you are getting a vacuum in the tank. New cap wouldn't cost all that much. I have never found a vacuum either on the skidsteer tank or the pickup. On a gas powered car if the cap isn't sealed you get a check engine light but that's a different system. New Dodge trucks don't have a fuel cap I guess.
There is a little spring loaded poppet valve in the cap that lets air in when the vacuum gets to a certain point. I took it all apart and it's all clean and working. I never have a fuel starvation problem, just curious as to why it works that way. Maybe an OSHA thing so there are no fuel fumes? Bill B

Latest posts