743 fuel capacity

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

I forgot I was on E and moved a couple more loads and ran out yesterday.
Took two 5 gal cans and put about 4.5g in ea.
Emptied one in and about half way through the second it overflowed!
But when I turned on the key to look at the gauge it was barely 1/4

One site said 13 gal capacity another said 26
Either way how did it overflow on maybe 6 -7 gal and why the meter show 1/4?

one buddy said diesel builds up sludge that could be filling up the bottom of the tank and one way to clear it out is add some gasoline LOL, not sure I want to create a fire bomb ha

I haven't tried to start it yet but I've heard it's bad to let a diesel run dry so I don't know if I have to do anything special?

brdgbldr

Your fuel tank is 13 gal. That is from the manual. I had a 742B and that is what my tank was.

As for the fuel gage….do not trust it. It works with a foam "float" that deteriorates over time and does not float as well anymore. Look in the tank with a flashlight to give yourself a better idea as to where the fuel level actually is.

You may have run out of fuel because your fuel pickup line has either cracked or broken off in the tank. Not hard to replace.

I will attach a photo of the pertinent page for what to do after running out of fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_0418.png
    IMG_0418.png
    741.8 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
M

marko13

Your fuel tank is 13 gal. That is from the manual. I had a 742B and that is what my tank was.

As for the fuel gage….do not trust it. It works with a foam "float" that deteriorates over time and does not float as well anymore. Look in the tank with a flashlight to give yourself a better idea as to where the fuel level actually is.

You may have run out of fuel because your fuel pickup line has either cracked or broken off in the tank. Not hard to replace.

I will attach a photo of the pertinent page for what to do after running out of fuel.
I got the vent open (1a) but the bulb is so stiff or I am so weak I can't compress the bulb.😞... sucks getting old lol

brdgbldr

I got the vent open (1a) but the bulb is so stiff or I am so weak I can't compress the bulb.😞... sucks getting old lol
Your fuel intake may be clogged.
If the bulb needs to be replaced, or not, remove the fuel line on the tank side of the bulb and blow low air pressure down it. This may unclog it. There may be a check valve connected to the end of the fuel intake so do not use high pressure.
You should also pump some of the fuel out of the bottom of the tank from the fill hole to see if you need to clean out your tank.

OP
OP
M

marko13

okay I followed the instructions to the best of my ability and it's running sounds smooth I'll see if it can do some work. thanks so much

OP
OP
M

marko13

Well dang, I thought I had it working. Ran short time the past couple days was working fine, then just now dug up a good bucket of dirt and while driving to where I wanted to dump it slowly petered out and died, like it had run out of fuel again. Will have to lift the cage and check out that tank/sender/fuel pickup lines i guess

brdgbldr

Well dang, I thought I had it working. Ran short time the past couple days was working fine, then just now dug up a good bucket of dirt and while driving to where I wanted to dump it slowly petered out and died, like it had run out of fuel again. Will have to lift the cage and check out that tank/sender/fuel pickup lines i guess
It sounds like your fuel pickup is clogging.

Try to pump or siphon some of the fuel out from the bottom of the tank to check it. You can get a cheep pump to hook up to a drill or also electric pumps.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to clean out the tank.

OP
OP
M

marko13

so here's the top on my tank. there are two hoses going into brass fittings that go into rubber grommets. I assume one is the take up tube and maybe the other is a vent? And in either case can I just pull that rubber grommet out or pull the brass fitting out of the rubber grommet? I don't want to break something.

OP
OP
M

marko13

so yes the grommets just pop right out with a pry bar or whatever but it's not a brass fitting it's a rusty steel fitting. that was a good idea of some bobcat engineer using rust prone steel inside the fuel system lol.

as to the location of the prime bulb mine is way at the back of the engine compartment where I can barely reach it. I've seen pictures of some that were right up front by the battery very accessible. any reason I couldn't just put an extension on that hose and make mine to where I could get to it?
there's about 3 in of hose from the fuel filter or pump? to the hose then a few feet to the tank... would adding to those links make any difference? I wouldn't think so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

marko13

well that's weird! I assumed the bulb was connected to the intake side of the tank not the return line. but it appears that the bulb goes to a butterfly valve that goes to what I thought was the return line to the tank because on YouTube it showed the intake line closest to the front of the machine.

OP
OP
M

marko13

On my 743 '88? the return line was in front of the pickup line fwiw.
Does the return line not need a tube going into tank?
I know I should drain, remove, clean and replace the tank but I'm trying to get some work done lol.

laurencen

on my two machines the bulb is between tank and the fuel pump inlet side, it is suppose to pump fuel to the pump and in turn to the fuel shutoff/fuel injection pump

OP
OP
M

marko13

is the fuel pump the same as the fuel filter? where you open the vent screw to bleed air?
I don't know if mine has a pump built in or is just an in line filter
From there it goes around in front of the engine and up to a fuel pump on the side of the engine block, then up to the injectors

and those grommets on the fuel pickup and return lines were hard to get out but near impossible to get back in. Got one in but tore the other and still not fully seated

brdgbldr

is the fuel pump the same as the fuel filter? where you open the vent screw to bleed air?
I don't know if mine has a pump built in or is just an in line filter
From there it goes around in front of the engine and up to a fuel pump on the side of the engine block, then up to the injectors

and those grommets on the fuel pickup and return lines were hard to get out but near impossible to get back in. Got one in but tore the other and still not fully seated
Take a look at the parts catalog for your machines serial number. Search "fuel" and then look at the "main frame" page. It will show you all of the tank, filter and pump.