Bobcat Gray DIY via Rustoleum oil based enamels

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wateka

My head was spinning with all the helpful gray color suggestions and no store near me had any of the suggestions/base paints in stock, so I punted. I'm looking for protection, not beauty so I found Rustoleum Smoke Gray at TSC and said to heck with it. Well, at least until I put a sample on a cover plate. Protection? Yes. Anywhere close to Bobcat Gray? Nope. Luckily I had extra Rustoleum gloss black hanging around, so I just started adding black to the gray, while mixing, until it got close. It took about 1/2 quart of black to add to the 2 quarts of gray I had. Make enough to have leftover for touch up's.
1424D9A5-24D0-4028-B337-931D03838408.jpeg

293BB35F-8883-4246-A73E-899EA6A1F26D.jpeg

OP
OP
wateka

wateka

I had to make more gray so this is more of a note to myself to have the formula somewhere accessible and in case someone want to replicate it. I also had to use a different Rustoleum Gloss Black so not sure if that made a difference but it took a whole lot more black this time.The last art class I took was in middle school and I'm going for protection, not perfection, so this is by no means 100% accurate, but it'll get you in the ballpark.

The Smoke Gray to Gloss Black ratio I used is 1 to 0.7061

If you're using a measuring cup, dump a quart (32 oz) of Smoke Gray in a mixing bucket and add 22.6 oz of Gloss Black.

If you're using a kitchen scale, see the picture below - there is approximately 849 grams of paint in a quart of Rustoleum oil based enamel.

2D43CD50-0B64-4F3F-A9C9-FAF80A637FCB.jpeg

Latest posts