why do backhoe attachments have such a bad rap?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

I just recently upgraded my old 907 backhoe to a newer 709. huge difference in power, reach, and smoothness of controls. it's great. I do not understand why skid steer backhoes have such a bad rap. you'd have to be an idiot to compare it to a mini excavator. that's not even a fair comparison. ours will sit for 6 months then get used for 2 weeks and then sit again. it's perfect for what i need it for. i think when someone uses it and expects more than what it obviously is- the fault is on that person. they are an under-appreciated piece of equipment IMO

farmshop

Like so many things people buy something expecting it to be a one size fits everything attachment. As long as it does what you need that's all that matters. The more doubters the fewer people who will want to borrow it

Tazza

Staff member
Like so many things people buy something expecting it to be a one size fits everything attachment. As long as it does what you need that's all that matters. The more doubters the fewer people who will want to borrow it
I have no bad words for a backhoe attachment, i did some serious damage with one that i bought years ago. I'm sure a dedicated mini would have done better, but this was $1,500 and did all the digging i asked of it.

7LBSSMALLIE

I have no bad words for a backhoe attachment, i did some serious damage with one that i bought years ago. I'm sure a dedicated mini would have done better, but this was $1,500 and did all the digging i asked of it.
don't know they were an aswome attachment. when 763 were new they all got steel tracks @ a 709 I acutally had this conversation with sales 2 days ago it appears that they have been priced out when you get a mini ex for 25 why pay 17 for an attachement. now that's not exact pricing but also inludes rear stabs. rear aux etc. pardon the cleshay but back in day a 763 rear stabs 709 steel tracks, was bad ass. now its t870 with a forestry cutter. but pricing has gone up a smidge. the one thing no one talks about. THE JOB AINT CHANGED. still moving dirt. albeit more efficiently and more comfortable. but its still moving dirt guys.

Flip57

don't know they were an aswome attachment. when 763 were new they all got steel tracks @ a 709 I acutally had this conversation with sales 2 days ago it appears that they have been priced out when you get a mini ex for 25 why pay 17 for an attachement. now that's not exact pricing but also inludes rear stabs. rear aux etc. pardon the cleshay but back in day a 763 rear stabs 709 steel tracks, was bad ass. now its t870 with a forestry cutter. but pricing has gone up a smidge. the one thing no one talks about. THE JOB AINT CHANGED. still moving dirt. albeit more efficiently and more comfortable. but its still moving dirt guys.
My wife spent two days digging up one scrub oak bush in our yard in Arizona and then suggested I buy a backhoe attachment for my bobcat that she saw on craigslist. I was floored because a year previously, she hit the roof when I came home with the 863. Once I adapted it to fit the 863, I spent 10 minutes digging up the same size bush. It does not have the power of an excavator but as stated above, they are great for occasional use. I think the bad rap comes from someone buying one expecting the performance of a excavator or full sized backhoe. I have found that when you hang up on a root or rock it pulls the bobcat foreword instead of ripping the root or rock. More of a weight to power ratio where the bobcat has the power just not enough weight.

Arik434

I recently picked up an old 905 backhoe attachment for my Bobcat 463. It had been sitting outside for a while and probably was not used in several years. I am currently in the process of restoring it. Some of the cylinders seem almost cheaper to replace with aftermarket ones rather than rebuild. I've got it completely disassembled for cleaning and painting. Most of the hoses need to be replaced and the control valves need some new o-rings, but otherwise, I think this little thing is super cool. A bobcat 418 excavator would dig circles around this, but the 905 seems surprisingly strong for what it is. It's got a new 12" bucket, which seems great for residential/around the house jobs and/or digging trenches.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I recently picked up an old 905 backhoe attachment for my Bobcat 463. It had been sitting outside for a while and probably was not used in several years. I am currently in the process of restoring it. Some of the cylinders seem almost cheaper to replace with aftermarket ones rather than rebuild. I've got it completely disassembled for cleaning and painting. Most of the hoses need to be replaced and the control valves need some new o-rings, but otherwise, I think this little thing is super cool. A bobcat 418 excavator would dig circles around this, but the 905 seems surprisingly strong for what it is. It's got a new 12" bucket, which seems great for residential/around the house jobs and/or digging trenches.
thats great. i can;t imagine it being cheaper to buy new than to rebuild. i bought the seal kit for a cylinder on my old bobcat backhoe forlike 20 bucks or 30 bucks and rebuilt in under and hour.

Arik434

thats great. i can;t imagine it being cheaper to buy new than to rebuild. i bought the seal kit for a cylinder on my old bobcat backhoe forlike 20 bucks or 30 bucks and rebuilt in under and hour.
The chrome shaft on my bucket cylinder was fairly pitted, so it didn't seem to make sense to have it re-plated. It turns out that bobcat could not even locate a seal rebuild kit for the cylinder anyway. They all seem like pretty standard sizes though, so I bought a replacement Magister Hydraulic cylinder for $120 shipped. The chrome on the other ones seem fine, so it may make sense to rebuild those ones--assuming that I can get new seals for them. I had the valves all apart last night expecting some major problems due to a sizable oil leak when I tested it out the one time. It appears that one of the inlet fittings was completely missing the O-ring and should be an easy fix. I've already got some projects lined up, so I need to get this thing painted and back together asap!

Tazza

Staff member
The chrome shaft on my bucket cylinder was fairly pitted, so it didn't seem to make sense to have it re-plated. It turns out that bobcat could not even locate a seal rebuild kit for the cylinder anyway. They all seem like pretty standard sizes though, so I bought a replacement Magister Hydraulic cylinder for $120 shipped. The chrome on the other ones seem fine, so it may make sense to rebuild those ones--assuming that I can get new seals for them. I had the valves all apart last night expecting some major problems due to a sizable oil leak when I tested it out the one time. It appears that one of the inlet fittings was completely missing the O-ring and should be an easy fix. I've already got some projects lined up, so I need to get this thing painted and back together asap!
If the rods are bad,m then yeah, i can see it being cheaper to replace the cylinder or make a new rod. $120 for a cylinder is crazy cheap. It may not last as long as an OEM one, but if its just home use, it will be fine.