what size bucket for 853 with OTT?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Muddin_Mavric

hey guys im having a heck of a time deciding what to do. i bought my 853 with a 72" (vring bucket i think the sticker says) bucket that has a bolt on cutting edge. the "main" purpose i have is to build and maintain motocross tracks. my own plus some friends. after i bought it last fall i had it out on my own track once for an afternoon but i was still learing to drive the thing so i didnt have a real good feel for it at the time. plus the sticks were hitting the front door so i only had about 1/3 forward speed. so far this year its been to wet for me to get out there. i would leave such bad ruts in the jumps i would have to go back and fix it onces it drys out.

anyways getting to my point. with that 72" bucket and no teeth i could not even dig in the hard ground where there was grass growing and no one had ever dug there before. it also had about 250 lbs. of "counter weight" bolted to the back door that i have since removed.

anyways im looking to get a bucket with teeth hoping that the teeth will guid the bucket into the vergin ground instead of just slidding along it. im mostly digging in dirt/clay but im not sure what to do. the options i came up with are get another 72" with teeth. or get a 84" smoth and put teeth on the one i have now or get a 72" 4 in 1 bucket. or would i be better off to get a 66" bucket with teeth? or could it handle more than 72" with teeth? right now with the tracks on my 853 its about 72-74" wide depending on who helps me measure. someday i would like to maybe upgrade to a s300 but i cant justify spending $20,000 to built my personal mx track. you guys got any ideas what i should do???

Skiddy

go to your bobcat dealer and ask to look at what they call a bucket bite system it bolts into your bucket and is exactly what your looking for. They work great I have used the heck outta one mounted in a 742 bucket.

OP
OP
M

Muddin_Mavric

go to your bobcat dealer and ask to look at what they call a bucket bite system it bolts into your bucket and is exactly what your looking for. They work great I have used the heck outta one mounted in a 742 bucket.
is that just those teeth that bolt on? i have looked at those but they dont work with a bolt on cutting edge because its to thick. if i take the cutting edge of is that welded on edge of the bucket hard enough it wont wear out right away?

skidsteer.ca

is that just those teeth that bolt on? i have looked at those but they dont work with a bolt on cutting edge because its to thick. if i take the cutting edge of is that welded on edge of the bucket hard enough it wont wear out right away?
For personal use you will be a long time wearing out the welded bucket edge, especially with bite bar helping protect it. Like 2000 to 3000 hours long.
A 72" is about all the bucket a 853 can handle if your lifting gravel, but for grading dirt a wider smooth bucket may be just the ticket.
Ken

farmboy55

For personal use you will be a long time wearing out the welded bucket edge, especially with bite bar helping protect it. Like 2000 to 3000 hours long.
A 72" is about all the bucket a 853 can handle if your lifting gravel, but for grading dirt a wider smooth bucket may be just the ticket.
Ken
Depending on what your current bucket cutting edge. What kind of wear it has. Get a set of weld on shanks (7) on a 72" bucket and you should be in good shape.

OP
OP
M

Muddin_Mavric

Depending on what your current bucket cutting edge. What kind of wear it has. Get a set of weld on shanks (7) on a 72" bucket and you should be in good shape.
how hard is it to weld the teeth on. can i do it with a wire feed or do i need a stick welder? its hard to find a bucket with teeth, i have a feeling i will be adding teeth to a bucket one way or the other. i would like to have 2 buckets though. one with teeth and one without.

Tazza

Staff member
how hard is it to weld the teeth on. can i do it with a wire feed or do i need a stick welder? its hard to find a bucket with teeth, i have a feeling i will be adding teeth to a bucket one way or the other. i would like to have 2 buckets though. one with teeth and one without.
You can weld them on with a MIG welder, but clean the area first, MIG welders don't like rust or crud. You will want something with a bit of power too, you need enough heat to give a nice strong weld.

OP
OP
M

Muddin_Mavric

You can weld them on with a MIG welder, but clean the area first, MIG welders don't like rust or crud. You will want something with a bit of power too, you need enough heat to give a nice strong weld.
my dads gota miller 210. it can weld i think 1/2 or maybe 3/8 in one pass. i would think that would be enough. like with my bucket do they get welded to the bolt on edge or take off the bolt on edge and weld them to the weld on edge and bucket its self?

farmboy55

my dads gota miller 210. it can weld i think 1/2 or maybe 3/8 in one pass. i would think that would be enough. like with my bucket do they get welded to the bolt on edge or take off the bolt on edge and weld them to the weld on edge and bucket its self?
they need to be welded to the edge that is welded to the bucket. But if it is worn to bad that may be the bucket you keep for you smooth edge bucket. The shanks need to fit tight to the cutting edge weater bolted or welded on. If they don't you'll more than likely have a problem with them breaking. 2 buckets is the way to go. 1 without teeth that you can clean/scape with & your digging bucket with teeth. Also you have a few options as far as the caps/teeth you put on your shanks.

OP
OP
M

Muddin_Mavric

they need to be welded to the edge that is welded to the bucket. But if it is worn to bad that may be the bucket you keep for you smooth edge bucket. The shanks need to fit tight to the cutting edge weater bolted or welded on. If they don't you'll more than likely have a problem with them breaking. 2 buckets is the way to go. 1 without teeth that you can clean/scape with & your digging bucket with teeth. Also you have a few options as far as the caps/teeth you put on your shanks.
well thanks for all the help. i guess i will look for a 72" bucket to weld teeth on. today i finally got a chance to try it out on my friends track. i think a 72" bucket is all it can really handle. there was a few times that i had a heaping bucket of black wet dirt and had to catch my self when i lifted it up to dump it because it was starting to tip. maybe if i had teeth then i could put the counter weights back on and still dig ok.