T190 went thru water

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Octaneforce

I dunked my 2011 t190 into a pretty deep puddle. It was alot deeper than i realized and by the time i was attempting to get myself back out, it quit on me. The puddle is about 2 feet deep (more like a pond). We put a trash pump in there and got it down to about 8 inches. The water was enough to cover the battery. Heres whats happening; the skid starts and runs, but i have very little power to the bucket and tracks. It will make small nudges but it wont go anywhere. The battery light comes on and under active warnings it says "alternator voltage too low". I have a new alternator that I'll put in tomorrow but its pitch black out there right now so i gave up. My question is, why wouldnt this thing go anywhere just because of a bad alternator? I mean it makes sense that the alternator got wet and went bad, but why would that stop the hydraulics? Its showing 11.8 volts on the guage when its running. I put a jumper box on it and it behaves the same. Im worried im going to do the alternator and be in the same boat. All help is appreciated. Its still sitting in that pond and im pretty stressed about it. We tried to yank it out and it didnt even budge.

Tazza

Staff member
The newer machines have electronic lock outs that will lock the lift/tilt, i wonder if that's why you are just getting little movements from it, if it's not unlocking. Do you get all the lights on the dash for it to unlock? I'd like to think it could be as simple as a sensor not thinking the sear bar is down or someone is in the seat.
Low voltage can make the computer not let the machine unlock or run properly.
That much water diesn't seem like it should have caused any real issues. Even an alternator under water should be fine when dried out. All the connectors ideally should be water proof.

OP
OP
O

Octaneforce

The newer machines have electronic lock outs that will lock the lift/tilt, i wonder if that's why you are just getting little movements from it, if it's not unlocking. Do you get all the lights on the dash for it to unlock? I'd like to think it could be as simple as a sensor not thinking the sear bar is down or someone is in the seat.
Low voltage can make the computer not let the machine unlock or run properly.
That much water diesn't seem like it should have caused any real issues. Even an alternator under water should be fine when dried out. All the connectors ideally should be water proof.
thanks for the input! I did the alternator where it sat in the pond. After that it gave me proper voltage and the controls responded somewhat, but it was still not enough to move it. I had a towing company winch it out with a monster tow truck and once it was on dry land it fired up and operated perfectly. I see a big belt in front of the battery. Maybe that got wet and was slipping? I dont know a ton about these.

farmshop

thanks for the input! I did the alternator where it sat in the pond. After that it gave me proper voltage and the controls responded somewhat, but it was still not enough to move it. I had a towing company winch it out with a monster tow truck and once it was on dry land it fired up and operated perfectly. I see a big belt in front of the battery. Maybe that got wet and was slipping? I dont know a ton about these.
That big belt is the main drive belt for all the hydraulics. I would look at the belt for damage if it was slipping. I would also closely check oils for water if not change it. Also keep an eye for water contamination in the fuel as the tank sits in the bottom of the machine. The main fuse panel is in the cab between your feet if that area got wet I'd open that and dry it good and grease the connections