Stolen machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dalooch

Want to discuss what you guys if anything are doing to secure your equipment? About 2 months back I had a case 1838 ripped off a job site. The machine was not insured and 22 years old even though I did get it for a great deal on it and used it for 4 years just pissed off some people don't give a dam I work hard for everything I have. It's replacement and now with a case 420 and now all 3 machines have kill switches installed. This is now the 2nd machine I lost in 10 years.

Tazza

Staff member
Sadly, if someone wants your machine more than you do, they will find a way to take it.
A kill switch will slow them down, but any older machine can be jumped, the newer ones are harder with their electronic controls.
Sorry to hear you lost another machine, insurance isn't a bad idea, but with the premiums over a long time without a claim, it may pay to take the risk.

SkidRoe

Sadly, if someone wants your machine more than you do, they will find a way to take it.
A kill switch will slow them down, but any older machine can be jumped, the newer ones are harder with their electronic controls.
Sorry to hear you lost another machine, insurance isn't a bad idea, but with the premiums over a long time without a claim, it may pay to take the risk.
Tazza's right, locks only stop honest thieves. About the only thing you can do is make it inconvenient to steal your machine so that they will move on and steal someone else's.
I do recall seeing a device that was the skidsteer equivalent of The Club. It locked into the steering levers and engaged with the mesh in the cage. Not right for every machine, but looked interesting. Can't remember where I saw it...
Sucks that they got your machine.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
D

Dalooch

Tazza's right, locks only stop honest thieves. About the only thing you can do is make it inconvenient to steal your machine so that they will move on and steal someone else's.
I do recall seeing a device that was the skidsteer equivalent of The Club. It locked into the steering levers and engaged with the mesh in the cage. Not right for every machine, but looked interesting. Can't remember where I saw it...
Sucks that they got your machine.
Cheers - SR
The worst part is a year prior to it being stolen I was operating it and it just died. When I got it home what got it running again was a hot wire from the battery to the ignition and alls well. When I park it that day I removed the wire reached up to the key and it fired up. It should have not started but it did. Dam the bad luck.

SkidRoe

mmsllc

Here is the lock that I was mentioning:
http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/accessories/anti-theft-devices-locks/skid-steer-lock/
I've been thinking of adding a master kill switch (that disconnects battery power) inside of the engine compartment, then installing a very heavy duty hasp like you see used with a "puck" style lock to secure the rear door closed when not in use. I planned on welding all pieces to the frame & rear door, eliminating the need to use their very failure prone rear door latch. I figure that way it would be electrically dead & there would be no way to reach the parts (such as, starter, battery, main electrical harness, etc.) that you would need to get to in order to jump it off / steal it. I am more than certain that there are other machinery out there that is set up in a similar manner already. If I think about it long enough, I am certain that there is a way to outfit every machine for around $200, or less & still have less to carry around / maintain / not lose versus adding a locking bar to the cage area. All of this will probably sound too hardcore to prevent what seems unlikely, but just one machine lost due to theft is a major dent. Where I live, nobody leaves them sitting around anyway. They usually baby sit them during lunch & take them home (or back to the yard) at the end of everyday. The only companies that I see leave them out are the larger construction companies or rental companies; I'm guessing that they both have amazing insurance on them, though. Feel free to give me some feed back as to what you think about my plan.

OP
OP
D

Dalooch

I've been thinking of adding a master kill switch (that disconnects battery power) inside of the engine compartment, then installing a very heavy duty hasp like you see used with a "puck" style lock to secure the rear door closed when not in use. I planned on welding all pieces to the frame & rear door, eliminating the need to use their very failure prone rear door latch. I figure that way it would be electrically dead & there would be no way to reach the parts (such as, starter, battery, main electrical harness, etc.) that you would need to get to in order to jump it off / steal it. I am more than certain that there are other machinery out there that is set up in a similar manner already. If I think about it long enough, I am certain that there is a way to outfit every machine for around $200, or less & still have less to carry around / maintain / not lose versus adding a locking bar to the cage area. All of this will probably sound too hardcore to prevent what seems unlikely, but just one machine lost due to theft is a major dent. Where I live, nobody leaves them sitting around anyway. They usually baby sit them during lunch & take them home (or back to the yard) at the end of everyday. The only companies that I see leave them out are the larger construction companies or rental companies; I'm guessing that they both have amazing insurance on them, though. Feel free to give me some feed back as to what you think about my plan.
What I ended up doing is putting a on off switch going to the power feeding the fuel pump. It's simple but effective. I Useually never leave the equipment on the job but since it was a long hike to the job and we'd be back I left it. Good news what I didn't mention before is pryor to it being stolen it devolved a leak at the heat plug on the block For weeks I added straight water knowing it needed to be fixed before winter. So I'm hoping with weather in the 20s that what he now owns a skid with a cracked block.that will teach him a 6000 lbs paper weight.

SkidRoe

What I ended up doing is putting a on off switch going to the power feeding the fuel pump. It's simple but effective. I Useually never leave the equipment on the job but since it was a long hike to the job and we'd be back I left it. Good news what I didn't mention before is pryor to it being stolen it devolved a leak at the heat plug on the block For weeks I added straight water knowing it needed to be fixed before winter. So I'm hoping with weather in the 20s that what he now owns a skid with a cracked block.that will teach him a 6000 lbs paper weight.
Karma's a b*tch, isn't it!?! LOL!!