Seeking Advice on Brand and Size of Machine.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MS1987

Hi Guys,

We work on rural properties in Northern NSW clearing, fencing, running driveways and cutting pads. We currently use a 5.5 tonne excavator to do all our final trim, loading and spreading work but know a skid steer can do some jobs better and faster.

I'm currently in the process of getting quotes from every company in Aus for machines in the 74hp range.

First question: is that enough power for the jobs I've described?

Second question: what machines are you using and consider the best in 2023 (power, speed, ride comfort, reliability, visibility, price etc)?

Appreciate your insights.

foton

74 hp is a good size from the lack of emmission controls that are not rerquired for it. And I would base a lot of the decision on the quality of dealers in the area. cause when you need it worked on who wants to be hung out by people who do not know what they are doing.

cdmccul

74 hp is a good size from the lack of emmission controls that are not rerquired for it. And I would base a lot of the decision on the quality of dealers in the area. cause when you need it worked on who wants to be hung out by people who do not know what they are doing.
Yes! Dealer support is huge. You may have a preferred brand due to history, hometown memories, or its what you dad used... But local vendor for everything from parts to service to warranty, go local.

Even if you find two "local-ish" shops selling the same brand of something (like zero turn lawn mowers... You generally don'tnt find this in heavy equipment)... One shop farther away may have a sale, but you then try to get it serviced at the closer dealer... Yes, they'll service it... But you won't be their top priority.

OP
OP
M

MS1987

Great point. We have had that issue with aftermarket service for our New Holland (NH) tractor which is why we changed brands and bought our excavator from a dealer in Brisbane (2.5hrs away) Thankfully we've since found a better company to use one town over.

If we stick local our options are Deere, Kubota or NH. Any feedback on these machines in particular Kubota's new -3?

haymaker

I have a friend with a large hog operation near me. He is a Deere guy but was not happy with their loaders after a couple of trys. He next had a Gehl and had nothing but trouble. His last 2 machines have been Kubota. He has nothing but good things to say.
All were reputable dealers it was just the machine reliability that he says was lacking with the Deere and Gehl machines. Someone else may have the opposite experience I'm just relaying his experience.

foton

I do not have one but the people that own takeuchi machines really like them, the ones that I have talked to anyway.

Latest posts