New machine choice.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jhmeg2

As recommend, I'm going to start a new thread. I am at the point that my toes hurt too much to continue plowing my driveway for the next 20 years with my 642b bobcat. I need something with an enclosed cab and heat. I've been wanting a bigger machine with more power for some time, and the price of new tires and some maintenance and frostbite I'm looking at just biting the bullet and picking up a newer machine. Here's what I'm thinking. I'd like a tracked unit like a T190, but the cost of the additional maintenance on the undercarriage is a concern, and I do a lot of pivots, so, might stay with tires, but could avoid it if I had to. Looking at some cat units. Can anyone give me input on these...
2016 Caterpillar 232D
2011 Caterpillar 226B

Is there anything I should stay away from or look out for? Should I maybe be ok with the T190? I can park it in the shop in the winter, but should I put a block heater on it?

brdgbldr

Tracks spread out the weight of the machine which can be hazardous on snow covered hills. The tracks act like sleds. The last guy I bought a skid steer from had just gotten rid of his tracked machine because he slid out of control down a hill and took out several hundred feet of fencing. He had no problems with his wheeled machine.

I recommend a block heater on all diesel machines. A warm diesel block wears less upon starting the engine. You can even use it when it is not freezing out. You'll notice a lot shorter glow plug countdown which means less wear on the glow plugs or air intake heater.

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Also found a Cat 247. What's the difference between the 247, the 247b, and the 247b2?

mrbb

OK can we maybe start here
what all do you need a machine for,??
JUST snow plowing?
small jobs about your home?

is ground it will be used on level or hilly? is ground soft and muddy?

as in will you be plowing hills or working on slopes, all the more so if side hilling!
as things things really matter when picking a machine IMO

I fully agree ,tracked machines do Not do as well on snowy hills with basic tracks
BUT just like tires, they sell and make tracks that work better in snow
and BOTH tires and tracks can be studded
BUT adding stud's can also mean damage to pavement and or concrete
and , I find it easier to swap tires than tracks, but that's me!
but pure snow tracks do work well in snow on level ground, and even on soft snow hills
hard pack, well, there better than dirt track's, but they have there limits!
both have pro's and con's!
so what the machine will be used mostly for, should be why you pick a model or type of machine, wheels or tracks!

I won;'t call my self as expert but I have several decades of plowing snow using a variety of types of machines, and like machines set up differently, to know how many things can make them work better or worse!

If you plow a LOT of snow, its IMO< worth having a snow set up, be that either SNOW tires or SNOW tracks, with or without studs!
just having snow tires on a wheeled skid steer can make a HUGE difference
But the key is, to ONLY use the snow set ups for plowing and NOT all yr!

there is an advantage to larger machines, but there is also Cons to them too
if you been happy with power and size of your current machine, , just lacking heat
you can always ADD heat and cab enclosures, to solve that

a simple example , I have a 65+ hp skid steer I use to plow my one property, 72 inch bucket,
my neighbor has a 40 hp skid steer(both on wheels) and I am maybe 1500-2000 lbs heavier than he is!
if you break things down to HP to LB"S its not really a big difference in actual power! so if you really DON"T need higher lift capacity or hydraulic flow rates?? you may not really need a larger l\machine, , but again I donl;t know what all you want a machine for, thus why I asked if you an give more info!

NOW< again, for yrs before I got my machine, he plowed my place or let me use his machine
it plowed my place just as good and at times, Faster, as it could get into places I cannot
it went up and down every hill just as good or BAD as mine pending conditions, could push snow just as deep or heavy
there has never been a snow he couldn;t plow in to days, and we had some 36+ inch snow falls of wet heavy snow!
so, bigger doesn;t always mean better or its needed!

I burn more fuel than he does to plow, and I tear up my gravel drive way more than his machine does!

NEXT, as for what model to stay away from or look for
Honestly there are IMO, no really BAD machines, and when talking used, two things IMO matter more than what model
and that is condition of machine and HOW it was cared for or NOT, used or abused!
and maybe another BIG thing to consider is, dealer support, what brand dealers are near you!

even the best model(if there was one) that was abused and never had Pm's done, will NOT be a great used machine to buy over a lesser model that was cared for , if you follow!
HOW It was cared for matters and how it was USED or abused matters more in the big picture!

last, as for what the difference are between a CAT 247, the 247b
many things, from motors, to HP to capacities, and such, google machine spec's on each and you will find no shortage of web sites listing there spec's and you can compare things that way on any model
here are two links on these models for you

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

OK can we maybe start here
what all do you need a machine for,??
JUST snow plowing?
small jobs about your home?

is ground it will be used on level or hilly? is ground soft and muddy?

as in will you be plowing hills or working on slopes, all the more so if side hilling!
as things things really matter when picking a machine IMO

I fully agree ,tracked machines do Not do as well on snowy hills with basic tracks
BUT just like tires, they sell and make tracks that work better in snow
and BOTH tires and tracks can be studded
BUT adding stud's can also mean damage to pavement and or concrete
and , I find it easier to swap tires than tracks, but that's me!
but pure snow tracks do work well in snow on level ground, and even on soft snow hills
hard pack, well, there better than dirt track's, but they have there limits!
both have pro's and con's!
so what the machine will be used mostly for, should be why you pick a model or type of machine, wheels or tracks!

I won;'t call my self as expert but I have several decades of plowing snow using a variety of types of machines, and like machines set up differently, to know how many things can make them work better or worse!

If you plow a LOT of snow, its IMO< worth having a snow set up, be that either SNOW tires or SNOW tracks, with or without studs!
just having snow tires on a wheeled skid steer can make a HUGE difference
But the key is, to ONLY use the snow set ups for plowing and NOT all yr!

there is an advantage to larger machines, but there is also Cons to them too
if you been happy with power and size of your current machine, , just lacking heat
you can always ADD heat and cab enclosures, to solve that

a simple example , I have a 65+ hp skid steer I use to plow my one property, 72 inch bucket,
my neighbor has a 40 hp skid steer(both on wheels) and I am maybe 1500-2000 lbs heavier than he is!
if you break things down to HP to LB"S its not really a big difference in actual power! so if you really DON"T need higher lift capacity or hydraulic flow rates?? you may not really need a larger l\machine, , but again I donl;t know what all you want a machine for, thus why I asked if you an give more info!

NOW< again, for yrs before I got my machine, he plowed my place or let me use his machine
it plowed my place just as good and at times, Faster, as it could get into places I cannot
it went up and down every hill just as good or BAD as mine pending conditions, could push snow just as deep or heavy
there has never been a snow he couldn;t plow in to days, and we had some 36+ inch snow falls of wet heavy snow!
so, bigger doesn;t always mean better or its needed!

I burn more fuel than he does to plow, and I tear up my gravel drive way more than his machine does!

NEXT, as for what model to stay away from or look for
Honestly there are IMO, no really BAD machines, and when talking used, two things IMO matter more than what model
and that is condition of machine and HOW it was cared for or NOT, used or abused!
and maybe another BIG thing to consider is, dealer support, what brand dealers are near you!

even the best model(if there was one) that was abused and never had Pm's done, will NOT be a great used machine to buy over a lesser model that was cared for , if you follow!
HOW It was cared for matters and how it was USED or abused matters more in the big picture!

last, as for what the difference are between a CAT 247, the 247b
many things, from motors, to HP to capacities, and such, google machine spec's on each and you will find no shortage of web sites listing there spec's and you can compare things that way on any model
here are two links on these models for you

Thanks Mrbb. I have a Bobcat 642b now, 32hp, gas, no aux hyd. I have pushed it hard and close to it's limit, and it has done, although begrudgingly, almost everything I've asked. Trying to off-load pallets of sod was a chore. Had to break them down a bit, but I need to be able to lift more. My driveway is pretty flat, be ut I need to plow snow, a few hundred yards. And, when needed my neighbor's (about half long). I need to move logs and debris, and brush piles. I will be taking it to the golf course and working on cart paths, and moving materials like dirt rock, and gravel. If it works out may e to offset the cost, I'll pick up a few driveways in the winter. I'd like to not have to change tires or tracks for use. The tires on my 642 are sadly worn. I'm to the point I have an appointment tentatively scheduled to get new tires, unless I find a new-er unit in the next few weeks.

mrbb

OK so you have a use for heavier machine to move heavier things

OK
NOW as for wanting a machine to use all yr, NOT needing to change tracks or tires on
well, then your going to have to live with down falls of poor snow performance they have , over a better suited track for snow, or snow tires

they sell all season tracks, that work OK in snow
but they will wear out a LOT faster when used on hard surfaces in summer time use,
and then they also loose there snow ability as they wear!
a second set of tracks will cost a LOT more than a second set of tires, so thats a added costs < pending how much actual snow plowing you do a yr, , to decide if worth it!

if you do a search online for replacement tracks that work better in snow, you will find several to pick from
as I Highly doubt your going to find many used older tracked machines that have GOOD snow tracks on them, as most use them for dirt work, or do so in my area!, but this can vary pending what part of the snow belt your in maybe!
so, if you plan to use the machine a LOT for plowing snow, buying that second set of tracks, JUST for winter use, can make them last a LONG time and be worth the costs , maybe!

and keep in mind, if you plan to use tracks or tires on concrete or paved driveways I would SKIP the idea of adding studs, they will leave marks or worse damage things ! they do wonders in help on tracking, but the damages they can do , could get costly when plowing for others if they sue you come spring time! HAHA!

as for what machine to buy, again, I would base that on condition and care of the machines your looking at, and also, really consider what the dealer support is near you,
even in today's modern online world for parts, its nice to have a dealer close by when silly things fail and cause you down time, rather than having to wait on parts to be delivered!
so I'd try and stick to brand you have several dealers in your area of!

and also, if in you keep machine in colder weather,(non heated shops) I agree having a block heater is a big pl;us, but even if a machine you like doesn;t have one, they can be added latter on! just so you know!
and is a worth while addition to make when time /money allows

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

Thanks. Well. I will not be studding. I would like to have one set of tracks or tires and replace when needed. I've had my 642 for over 10yrs, on the tires I bought it with and it probably needed tires when I got it, so anything will be an improvement. When I do transition from terrain, I don't want to have the down time of having to switch. Some times it's a matter of load and go. No matter what machine I go with I'm screwed for service near me. As far as block heater, I will keep the machine in the heated shop, but would be nice to have if I do leave it out. I'm in North Central Wisconsin so it's cold and lots of snow. I know my machine has been pretty well taken care of, and even if the unit I get has a few more hrs, if it has been well maintained it's on. But, is there anything on any particular units to watch out for or to stay away from? Like on a Caterpillar 247?

foton

I use a appilance timer on a good extension cord (They have a higher amp rating than a timer for lights) and set it to run 2 hrs before I am gonna use the machine to come on, this is really worked well for me.

mrbb

OK then IMO< your going to want to get a tracked machine with a set of tracks made for snow, and run them all yr,
but again odds are your not going find used machine with them, , so there going to be an added costs(you can always sell the used dirt tracks to recoup some $$ back)
standard dirt tracks are far from GOOD in snow, all the more so hard pack or ice!, due to the basic design of tracked machines , making less down pressure , great for when on soft ground /mud and or on grass, but lousy when in snow/ice!?
My friends that run a plow business, like the ALL season tracks from ASV, not sure what exact track it is, but I am sure it can be found on there web site, they claim they work 5 time better than standard tracks for dirt , and they use on several machines now for winter work, , but they also do remove for summer time, as they again don't hold up as well as dirt tracks to harder materials, but I don;t think your doing any of that, thus, the snow tracks should work for your use all yr ?

as for any known issue's with a 247>
I have no experience with that exact model, maybe post in a CAT specific forum, , you may get better details on good/bad and what to look out for!

but will add food for thought for you on this

newer machine's with emission's?DEF systems and such,
' seem to have way more ISSUE"S when the machines sit more than being used, than older machines that don't have the emission crap on them,
and I am guessing your machine sits a lot , like most home owners machines do(mine included so NO bash here)

so, if I was you I would maybe be looking for pre emission machines, the flaw with them, now, is, one, there getting to be OLD machines, and finding one in GOOD condition is getting harder, and sine so many folks dislike emissions, there bringing TOP dollar, as in extra high price tags for what they really are!

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

I did a thing ... Made the choice today and picked up the Caterpillar 247.

Attachments

• 20221229_160833.jpg
    20221229_160833.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20221229_162054.jpg
    20221229_162054.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 68

Jim A

I have 2014 289 .
Good machine .
Check drive motor hoses where they go through side frame under tracks they rub get cut on metal black plate . I blew two lines 3600 hours .
Change final drive planetary oil and keep tracks snug .
I lost tracks on side hill turns . Easy to get back on .
Your year doesn't have DPF Regen teir 4 like mine.
CAT ET scanner is a good investment. I have a 308 excavator also and fix my own equipment.
Good luck

OP
OP
J

jhmeg2

I have 2014 289 .
Good machine .
Check drive motor hoses where they go through side frame under tracks they rub get cut on metal black plate . I blew two lines 3600 hours .
Change final drive planetary oil and keep tracks snug .
I lost tracks on side hill turns . Easy to get back on .
Your year doesn't have DPF Regen teir 4 like mine.
CAT ET scanner is a good investment. I have a 308 excavator also and fix my own equipment.
Good luck
I checked the hoses for chafe all look good. Don't know what et scanner is...

Latest posts