Restore, Rebuild, Overhaul Ford CL-30

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Well, I purchased 15 gallons of oil from Tractor Supply. Their Travelers brand 10W30 was the best price I could find. I put 10 gallons in the tank and started the engine. No blowouts so that's a good sign, however, I found a steering motor hose fitting leaking. I noticed it was a little odd feeling when I was assembling it. Not a crossthread but a little stiff anyways. I'll have a new hose assembly and a motor fitting made up next week. I also noticed leakage around one of the spool valves on the front cylinder control valves. I'll clean and paint my spare control assembly and see how it does before I rebuild either one. When I get these two leaks fixed, it will be a dry machine. Wouldn't that be something? A hydraulic machine that doesn't leave a trail,,,,,,,,,
Not a whole lot of machines that don't piddle any fluid. Even my totally rebuilt 743 had a few very small leaks that every few weeks some drgreaser and a hose took care of. I'm trying to get my S150 to that stage too, the foam covers are soaked so it may take some time...

glassman

Well, I purchased 15 gallons of oil from Tractor Supply. Their Travelers brand 10W30 was the best price I could find. I put 10 gallons in the tank and started the engine. No blowouts so that's a good sign, however, I found a steering motor hose fitting leaking. I noticed it was a little odd feeling when I was assembling it. Not a crossthread but a little stiff anyways. I'll have a new hose assembly and a motor fitting made up next week. I also noticed leakage around one of the spool valves on the front cylinder control valves. I'll clean and paint my spare control assembly and see how it does before I rebuild either one. When I get these two leaks fixed, it will be a dry machine. Wouldn't that be something? A hydraulic machine that doesn't leave a trail,,,,,,,,,
I am new to the forum. I am in the process of overhauling the Erickson version of the Ford cl30. Mine is an Erickson LC4D with a 30 horse wisconsin. I am not doing a complete overhaul initially, for now I just want it to look decent and be useful. A more complete restoration may come next winter. That being said, I may be in the market for some parts. I believe that the parts are interchangeable between the Fords and Ericksons. So, if anyone has any spare parts that they are looking to unload, let me know. All in all, the machine is functional. Lots of hydraulic leaks and "rot", wheel bearing on front is bad, brakes are missing on one side, no exhaust or air cleaner, etc. I'll try to post some pictures of before and after

glassman

I am new to the forum. I am in the process of overhauling the Erickson version of the Ford cl30. Mine is an Erickson LC4D with a 30 horse wisconsin. I am not doing a complete overhaul initially, for now I just want it to look decent and be useful. A more complete restoration may come next winter. That being said, I may be in the market for some parts. I believe that the parts are interchangeable between the Fords and Ericksons. So, if anyone has any spare parts that they are looking to unload, let me know. All in all, the machine is functional. Lots of hydraulic leaks and "rot", wheel bearing on front is bad, brakes are missing on one side, no exhaust or air cleaner, etc. I'll try to post some pictures of before and after
ok, this seems to be a common story. I started out with one machine and now I have 2. I just bought a Ford cl 30 to add to my collection. Does anyone have any information as far as part numbers for brakes on the cl 30. I am in need of part numbers for brakes and wheel cylinders and master cylinder. I have been to the auto parts and had no luck finding what I need

OP
OP
D

Don Shilling

ok, this seems to be a common story. I started out with one machine and now I have 2. I just bought a Ford cl 30 to add to my collection. Does anyone have any information as far as part numbers for brakes on the cl 30. I am in need of part numbers for brakes and wheel cylinders and master cylinder. I have been to the auto parts and had no luck finding what I need
I don't know about the Erickson but the CL-30 doesn't have any brakes. The later models had a sort of parking brake on the left side that applied a clamp on the drive chain. I'm building my loader without any parking brake.

glassman

I don't know about the Erickson but the CL-30 doesn't have any brakes. The later models had a sort of parking brake on the left side that applied a clamp on the drive chain. I'm building my loader without any parking brake.
I mis-spoke. The 2nd machine i bought is actually a Ford 340. As you know it is hard to find any info and history on any of these machines. The 340 and the Erickson both have brake drums mounted on the inner end of the front axles. I have the Erickson pretty much done except for some work on the loader arms and the brakes. The ford, I have to figure out the brakes and rebuild both drive motors. Does yours (Don) move freely when the engine is off and levers in neutral position? It seems that brakes are NOT a necessity but would be very handy when working on a grade.............

glassman

I mis-spoke. The 2nd machine i bought is actually a Ford 340. As you know it is hard to find any info and history on any of these machines. The 340 and the Erickson both have brake drums mounted on the inner end of the front axles. I have the Erickson pretty much done except for some work on the loader arms and the brakes. The ford, I have to figure out the brakes and rebuild both drive motors. Does yours (Don) move freely when the engine is off and levers in neutral position? It seems that brakes are NOT a necessity but would be very handy when working on a grade.............
I am gaining a pretty good understanding of these machines thru this restoration project. I will be much less intimidated down the road when I do have problems. This stuff can be addictive. I had the Erickson about ready to use when I found the Ford about 30 miles from home and could not pass it up. In the end, i believe the Erickson will go up for sale as it clearly had a harder life. I will post some pictures if someone is willing to tell me how to go about doing so.

OP
OP
D

Don Shilling

With the engine off and the controls in neutral, my CL-30 is very hard to move. The hydraulic drive is a closed, positive displacement system. Again, brakes are generally used only for parking the machine. However, if a machine will coast with the controls in neutral, I can see the need for wheel brakes.

glassman

With the engine off and the controls in neutral, my CL-30 is very hard to move. The hydraulic drive is a closed, positive displacement system. Again, brakes are generally used only for parking the machine. However, if a machine will coast with the controls in neutral, I can see the need for wheel brakes.
does anyone know anything about the 340......where it falls age-wise with respect to the cl 30/40

Husker

Glassman, I also have an Erickson LC4D. Do you have any of the documentation... manuals, parts lists, specs? I picked this guy up cheap but don't even know the year it was made due to the fact that Erickson is no more. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any documentation, I would anxiously purchase a copy.

bamboozled

Glassman, I also have an Erickson LC4D. Do you have any of the documentation... manuals, parts lists, specs? I picked this guy up cheap but don't even know the year it was made due to the fact that Erickson is no more. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you do have any documentation, I would anxiously purchase a copy.
I recently picked up a CL 340 myself. In process of rebuilding or at least fixing the temp fixes that became permanent over the years. As far as brakes go, I found the drums and shoes to match Titan drum trailer brakes. The master cylinder seemed to be very similar to a Dico master cylinder, so I ordered one of those also. The trailer brakes wheel cylinders are single piston, so I got some from an early ford truck to replace with dual pistons. Right now I've got it all torn apart, cleaning out the chain cases, I have to seal the fuel tanks due to pin holes, replacing the hydro fluid with oil like it should be, then need to replace the fuel pump and possible re-ring the engine as I have a lot of blow-by and low compression numbers. I also found main drive sprocket on the right side seems to be pressed on too far and it was causing a pair of the chains to rub. I test drove the machine without the brakes and things got out of control very quickly, the rest of the repairs are from the usual 'well, as long as I'm already in here I might as well...'

Tazza

Staff member
I recently picked up a CL 340 myself. In process of rebuilding or at least fixing the temp fixes that became permanent over the years. As far as brakes go, I found the drums and shoes to match Titan drum trailer brakes. The master cylinder seemed to be very similar to a Dico master cylinder, so I ordered one of those also. The trailer brakes wheel cylinders are single piston, so I got some from an early ford truck to replace with dual pistons. Right now I've got it all torn apart, cleaning out the chain cases, I have to seal the fuel tanks due to pin holes, replacing the hydro fluid with oil like it should be, then need to replace the fuel pump and possible re-ring the engine as I have a lot of blow-by and low compression numbers. I also found main drive sprocket on the right side seems to be pressed on too far and it was causing a pair of the chains to rub. I test drove the machine without the brakes and things got out of control very quickly, the rest of the repairs are from the usual 'well, as long as I'm already in here I might as well...'
Sounds like you're on the rite track, keep us informed as to how it's coming along.

Gene's Machine

I won't be able to do much until spring but I can get a lot of little nit pic things taken care of this winter. I have a few modifications to do on the main frame before I sandblast it. Today, I traced off the decals and had my local sign shop make up a set of new decals for the CL-30. He saved the info to a file so if anybody wants a copy, give me a shout and I'll give you his phone number. http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j13/rustywheels/Ford CL30 Skid Loader/IMG_1576.jpg
IMG_1576.jpg
Hey Don, this is a reply to an old post, but if you are still active could I get the file for this? I'd like to get a set made.