New member needs help deciding on which model to buy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
J

JJay03

For a homeowner, I always recommend a wheel machine over tracks. Tracks are awesome but come with a price if the machine isnt making you any money. When they wear out its a $4K bill, not to mention and undercarriage costs associated. But bobcat does make a good undercarriage. Stay away from a Cat whatever you do. They are stupid expensive to repair, plus hand controls are in any machine, are expensive and almost impossible to fix on your own. When Bobcat switched from Kubota to Doosan engines, a few years ago, the Doosan engines came with fuel problems that are supposedly ironed out. I dont know exactly which year the engine swap was, but I'd stay away from the first model year or two that occured. A S650 could fall into that year, so check to see which year the swap happened. The serial number plate on a 650 would have the manufacturer year stamped on it. If your going to run any attachments, you may want a machine that has decent aux hydraulic output, not necessarily high flow
Im guessing certain attachments benefit from or need the highflow output? Thanks for the tips. What about that tracks that go over the tires? Are they any good?

Skidder2

Im guessing certain attachments benefit from or need the highflow output? Thanks for the tips. What about that tracks that go over the tires? Are they any good?
We used to have a wheel machine and there was some problem with the tires just spinning inside the OTT. It could have been the tires were worn somewhat , I can't remeber it was so long ago . One of the reasons you buy a skid steer is you can drive it one your trailer and tow it with your f250 from job to job . If you have a property and you are getting a dedicated machine for it that goes nowhere , a full sized backhoe could be considered. Especially if you think you might get a little sun compact tractor down the road like the little kubota mentioed above . This was you have compact equipment and big equipment . I'm not recommending , just putting that out there for consideration.

reaperman

These days most attachments are designed with standard flow capabilities. High flow attachments are really a niche item used for a specific purpose. I have a 753G that works great for me but it would be on the lower end of hydraulic output at just over 14 gpm for most attachments. Not to say the attachments wouldnt work, but they would work better with more gpm's. With that said, I had a 5' brush cutter attachment made specifically for my machines hydraulic output and it works awesome. I could post a video of me cutting 15' trees 2" in diameter like grass. But most attachments are "one size fits all" and not specifically designed, so the more gpm's the better the performance. I'd say most current machines these have a hydraulic output to run just about any attachment.

farmshop

These days most attachments are designed with standard flow capabilities. High flow attachments are really a niche item used for a specific purpose. I have a 753G that works great for me but it would be on the lower end of hydraulic output at just over 14 gpm for most attachments. Not to say the attachments wouldnt work, but they would work better with more gpm's. With that said, I had a 5' brush cutter attachment made specifically for my machines hydraulic output and it works awesome. I could post a video of me cutting 15' trees 2" in diameter like grass. But most attachments are "one size fits all" and not specifically designed, so the more gpm's the better the performance. I'd say most current machines these have a hydraulic output to run just about any attachment.
A track machine is very nice but as others said can get expensive. If you buy something with a good undercarriage they typically last 1000-1500 hours depending on use. I wouldn't even consider a tractor especially a compact one the loaders are not heavy enough even a 743 will work circle around one. The s 650 style machines are good machines. We have a 590 that has 6000 hours that hasn't had much work done to it. Grouser tracks are always an option but cost upwards of 2000 bucks. They are noisey and ride tougher than a track machine. If you buy used try to buy one from a dealer that can give you some history of the machine along with providing you service

OP
OP
J

JJay03

A track machine is very nice but as others said can get expensive. If you buy something with a good undercarriage they typically last 1000-1500 hours depending on use. I wouldn't even consider a tractor especially a compact one the loaders are not heavy enough even a 743 will work circle around one. The s 650 style machines are good machines. We have a 590 that has 6000 hours that hasn't had much work done to it. Grouser tracks are always an option but cost upwards of 2000 bucks. They are noisey and ride tougher than a track machine. If you buy used try to buy one from a dealer that can give you some history of the machine along with providing you service
Thanks. I am looking at a used s650 from the dealer right now. I can not find any used ones from private sellers close that I like.

Phil314

Thanks. I am looking at a used s650 from the dealer right now. I can not find any used ones from private sellers close that I like.
2013 was the last year for the kubota engines - interim T4.
2014 is the Teir 4 Doosan engine. Some people may have had some issues with these.
I bought a 2013, that all I'm saying. Hint, hint.

OP
OP
J

JJay03

2013 was the last year for the kubota engines - interim T4.
2014 is the Teir 4 Doosan engine. Some people may have had some issues with these.
I bought a 2013, that all I'm saying. Hint, hint.
Between a Bobcat s630 and a cat 246d which would you chose? Both newer with very low hours. Cat cost about 4-5k more.

Phil314

Cat also has ac/heat and the bobcat is open cab.
I'd say get the cat for the simple reason it has a closed cab with heat/ac. It would be difficult/expensive to add those to an open cab later if you decided you wanted them. I like my heat when I'm plowing snow. And I like my front door when I dump a bucket of dirt and the wind is blowing. No more dirt baths for me. Plus the machine stays much cleaner inside too.

OP
OP
J

JJay03

I'd say get the cat for the simple reason it has a closed cab with heat/ac. It would be difficult/expensive to add those to an open cab later if you decided you wanted them. I like my heat when I'm plowing snow. And I like my front door when I dump a bucket of dirt and the wind is blowing. No more dirt baths for me. Plus the machine stays much cleaner inside too.
Thanks Phil. Thats the way we are leaning as well. Looking to see about maintenance cost between the 2.

Latest posts