Bought my first Bobcats, need help deciding which one to save! 853H or 843

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NYDan78

Hi guys new to the forum and to bobcats in general however I am a full time diesel mechanic and am experienced in hydraulic, engine, and electrical repair. There is an awful lot for me to learn on these machines though so thanks for any help you can give!

Recently, I purchased two machines for just over scrap price. An 853H and an 843. I am trying to decide which one to save and which to part out. Each machine has its pros and cons though so I would like input on which one would be the superior home use machine to hold onto.

The 853H has 3600hrs and a running Isuzu engine. It is missing the main hydraulic valve and auxiliary double gear pump for the loader as well as the hydraulic tank and many lines/hoses. This is what I have figured out so far at least.... Supposedly this machine ran and moved fine but it had hydraulic problems on the loader side and was taken apart 5 years ago. The machine came from a tree farm and was running a tree spade and seems to have been well kept previous to the failure. This machine also is equipped with rear stabilizers, backhoe mounts, and heat.

The 843 (3700hrs) is complete minus the engine, engine mounts, and flywheel. Previous owner stated they stole the engine for a reefer unit. This is a late model with the Isuzu engine, I believe the same engine from my 853H actually. PO stated that this machine did not move but hydraulics worked otherwise. I noticed it rolls extremely easy when compared to the 853, possibly a chaincase problem? This machine appears much harder worked with more worn out pins. One loader lift cylinder is removed however I do have it.

I am partial to keeping the newer 853 but also appreciate the 843's lack of electronics.i am thinking about finding a way to spin the pumps on the 843 and test the hydraulics. I imagine swapping the engine between the two would be easier and less $ than finding the missing parts for the 853.

So, the 853 hydraulic hell worth it to go through or should I roll the dice and swap the engine over to the 843?

Are there any bobcat salvage yards in the Northeast US? I am located in NY.

Thanks for any input you guys can give me!
20230728_130947.jpg
20230728_121020.jpg
20230728_125912.jpg
20230722_131809.jpg
20230722_131916.jpg

wateka

I am in the process (now 14 months in) of reassembling my 853 and I rebuilt/replaced everything on it but the fuel pump. If you keep the 853 I've got a boatload of pictures and manuals that may help you put the jigsaw back together. I paid the federal government $2,300 for my non-operating 853 and the hydraulic hoses alone cost me the same amount to replace. To help you decide about the engine swap, I'll take a picture tomorrow showing the engine mounts on an 853. If you part out the 853, I am in need of the parking brake system - mine came with no brakes.

wateka

Here's the 853 frame. If these mounts line up with your 843, that's an easy swap.
IMG_1406.jpeg

T-rustyfix

Re; salvage yard in upstate, check out Smiley's Equipment 3493 Route 67 Freehold NY 12431 (518) 634-2310

I've been there and he likely has some machines for you. Nice guy working with his sons. Kinda proud of his junk, but be smart and you can get a good deal. He might trade you for what you don't want.

OP
OP
N

NYDan78

Re; salvage yard in upstate, check out Smiley's Equipment 3493 Route 67 Freehold NY 12431 (518) 634-2310

I've been there and he likely has some machines for you. Nice guy working with his sons. Kinda proud of his junk, but be smart and you can get a good deal. He might trade you for what you don't want.
Wateka, I would appreciate some pictures of under the cab on the 853 specifically hydraulic hose routing and valves. Having a hard time finding any pictures of it!

I've heard of Smileys before from someone at work. Give them a call!

Later today I will be installing a small Honda gasoline engine in the 843 just to spin the hydraulic pumps and get an idea of what works. Obviously will be very slow and weak but I think it'll be enough to test the hydros and lift. We shall see!

haymaker

Wateka, I would appreciate some pictures of under the cab on the 853 specifically hydraulic hose routing and valves. Having a hard time finding any pictures of it!

I've heard of Smileys before from someone at work. Give them a call!

Later today I will be installing a small Honda gasoline engine in the 843 just to spin the hydraulic pumps and get an idea of what works. Obviously will be very slow and weak but I think it'll be enough to test the hydros and lift. We shall see!
would be interested in seeing a few pics and getting a report on how well that works. Good luck

Dave1234

From your pics, I see both units have tires of different sizes on one side. If that was just to get them moved, no problem, but if used that way to work it would put a constant strain on the chain case components. Maybe you will be lucky and only the chain(s) broke on one of them.

PS--you guys seem to have too much room in your shops, and the floors lack dirt. Wish I could say the same.