Mustang 2042 (2044 2054) hydraulic alarm - dont understand...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

posttrygve

Hello I've just bought a Mustang 2042 (same as 2044 and 2054 mostly?) and I don't have the manual.... The warning lamp for the hydraulic system came on and a alarm startet beep-beep-beep. I first thought it was to little oil. I checked the level, but it seems to be on "medium", but the measuring stick is not a good solution. I'm not 100% sure how far down it should be pushed... Every thing works fine, but the alarm won't stop (stopped/started several times). Also I'm not quit sure - Is it "normal" hydraulic oil which is to be used? Help much appreciated by a skid steer rookie...!!

Rookie

Mustang calls out for ISO AW46 hydraulic oil for the hydraulic system and the chain cases. On my 2040 you push the hydraulic oil measuring stick all the way to the bottom, where it stops. How is your hydraulic oil temp.? Is the temp sensor or wire grounding out?

OP
OP
P

posttrygve

Mustang calls out for ISO AW46 hydraulic oil for the hydraulic system and the chain cases. On my 2040 you push the hydraulic oil measuring stick all the way to the bottom, where it stops. How is your hydraulic oil temp.? Is the temp sensor or wire grounding out?
Thank for respons, Rookie! The alarm started on hot engine, but now is also on from start (cold engine). There is also a instrument with a "needle" that shows temp. from green to red. I tink this is dead. This has probably a different sensor from the alarm? Do anyone know if it possible to test the sensors or if if I just have to buy new?

Rookie

Thank for respons, Rookie! The alarm started on hot engine, but now is also on from start (cold engine). There is also a instrument with a "needle" that shows temp. from green to red. I tink this is dead. This has probably a different sensor from the alarm? Do anyone know if it possible to test the sensors or if if I just have to buy new?
Was the engine actually hot when the alarm went off? It sounds like a defective sending unit or wiring short. You will kave to visually trace out the wiring harness for possible shorts. If your instrument cluster is similar to mine, the hydraulic oil temperature gauge (green, red, w/needle) is on the right. This will use a variable resistance sending unit which is different than the alarm sending unit. You gan test the alarm switches (sending units) with an ohmeter in a pan of boiling water, same with the variable resistance unit but I don't know the specs.

OP
OP
P

posttrygve

Was the engine actually hot when the alarm went off? It sounds like a defective sending unit or wiring short. You will kave to visually trace out the wiring harness for possible shorts. If your instrument cluster is similar to mine, the hydraulic oil temperature gauge (green, red, w/needle) is on the right. This will use a variable resistance sending unit which is different than the alarm sending unit. You gan test the alarm switches (sending units) with an ohmeter in a pan of boiling water, same with the variable resistance unit but I don't know the specs.
I'll check for short circuits. I remember that the alarm came on a half hour after I washed it, so maybe water is source to it.... If not, I'll try to check, or change the sensor. Thanks for helping out a norwegian!