Mustang 1700

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Neckdogg

I purchased a Mustang 1700 last fall and now that the weather is breaking I am starting to work on it. It is complete but has a seized Ford V4 motor in it. I am currently working on freeing it up. Wondering if anyone has swapped the motor to a modern motor and if so how hard was it, what size motor etc. I may rebuild the Ford V4 if I have too but the parts may be more than a new modern motor. I'm just not sure what the interface with a horizontal shaft motor to the rest if it would entail. Anyone know of any kits etc. I want to restore the Skidsteer but I need to get it running before I continue the rest of it.
I have filled the slark plug holes with ATF and with Mystery Oil and it has been soaking in that for a few months reloaded a few times. It is seeping through on 1 or 2 of the cylinders. But trying to get any movement on the flywheel is a no go. Im assuming my next step is pull the head and see if i can clean up the cylinder walls and get some movement via shock with a piece of wood and a mini sledge. Any ideas or suggestions? Am i on the right track?
PS I bought this knowing I am definately in over my head. Planning to video the process and post on YouTube, but as of now all I have to post is it sitting there. And me putting in the magic Mystery oil.
1000004402.jpg

foton

it might be a good clue as to the condition of the engine to drain the engine oil to see if there is water in it. If there is pulling the engine would be my next move.

jonesallu

I'm in the same boat. A seized engine. If you try to start it after the seize, you risk doing a lot of damage that may ruin the engine. Definitely drain the oil. I had 6 inches of antifreeze in the bottom. The intake manifolds can leak if old and drop antifreeze in the engine including the cylinder bores. It took me a few months of soaking (your soak method is perfect) to get mine to "break loose". I don't recommend the shock load if you plan on overhauling the engine. 1.7 L cranks are hard to find.

If you have time and are a scrapper (like me), you can find most of the parts to overhaul it on eBay. Most copies of the engine are in German and British Saabs. The US copies are industrial engines and can be found, but I think they are way over priced. The early 70s Ford Capri V6 is the same engine except with two more cylinders (90 mm bores). The parts for the heads share the same as the Capri and early 80s Bronco II's and others. I've found hard parts like valves, bearings, etc. very inexpensive. New soft parts are definitely more $ than normal. But I'm buying new as I don't want to risk a problem with a 40 year old seal. Rockauto.com has a lot of the parts but again, you need to look to other interchangeable applications. Don't let rust in the engine scare you - most of it will clean up with elbow grease when you overhaul it. If you're lucky, the bores will hone out.

IMG_20231129_125436008.jpg
IMG_20231129_125953066.jpg

To answer your question about other engines to mate up, we need to know if you're running a torque convertor (fantastic setup IMO) or the variable sheave.

It's a great unit and it's easy implementing tons of upgrades. For example I'm working on fuel injection for better cold starts.

Good luck,
Al Jones
Brookings, SD

OP
OP
N

Neckdogg

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not afraid of what I might run into rust wise or anything. If I need to get it sleeved or something it is what it is. My biggest struggle is I have no garage so I'm shad tree mechanic-ing old school style. I am almost 55 so not exactly new to me. But it would be better to have a Garage where I could throw it on an engine stand and work on it without worying about the weather etc. I will post some pics of the Skidsteer so hopefully I can get some more feedback once you all have some more info.

Berlincam86

Mine was locked up. Loosened mine with a chain wrench on the the crank pully. Back and forth little by little. And of course keep fogging cylinders along the way.

OP
OP
N

Neckdogg

I purchased a Mustang 1700 last fall and now that the weather is breaking I am starting to work on it. It is complete but has a seized Ford V4 motor in it. I am currently working on freeing it up. Wondering if anyone has swapped the motor to a modern motor and if so how hard was it, what size motor etc. I may rebuild the Ford V4 if I have too but the parts may be more than a new modern motor. I'm just not sure what the interface with a horizontal shaft motor to the rest if it would entail. Anyone know of any kits etc. I want to restore the Skidsteer but I need to get it running before I continue the rest of it.
I have filled the slark plug holes with ATF and with Mystery Oil and it has been soaking in that for a few months reloaded a few times. It is seeping through on 1 or 2 of the cylinders. But trying to get any movement on the flywheel is a no go. Im assuming my next step is pull the head and see if i can clean up the cylinder walls and get some movement via shock with a piece of wood and a mini sledge. Any ideas or suggestions? Am i on the right track?
PS I bought this knowing I am definately in over my head. Planning to video the process and post on YouTube, but as of now all I have to post is it sitting there. And me putting in the magic Mystery oil.
View attachment 6111

T-rustyfix

I don't see a sheave in the pictures. As far as using a different engine, I would recommend sticking with the original as much as possible. Retrofitting would likely require significant engine-ering (pun intended)!

JimB1

Looks like a torque converter, hence the bellhousing. Unless there is a kit somewhere, which I doubt you'd most have to likely have to build an adapter plate to mount another engine to the housing, plus engine mounts. Both can be done but not without a significant amount of equipment and know how. There are YouTube videos.

Latest posts