Mustang 1700 Reset

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

T-rustyfix

I decided to overhaul my engine. It's going to be WAYYYYY cheaper than purchasing any unknown engine out there.

Progress:

Here's what the drive clutches look like. I'm going to run them and see if I regret it.

View attachment 5555 View attachment 5556

Decided to sidetrack and overhaul the 12SI alternator. Whew, something easy. But, not much useable inside.

View attachment 5557 View attachment 5558

Time to pull the torque convertor.

View attachment 5561 View attachment 5560

View attachment 5559 View attachment 5562

This is a Ford C-4 transmission charge pump. You can see the torque convertor is a direct drive to the pinion that mates to the gear box.

View attachment 5563 View attachment 5564

While I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I'm going to replace the two rear axle seals. Look for that in a week or so.

Al Jones
early 70s Mustang 1700
Brookings SD
Your clutches look great! I would definitely use them, considering a replacement clutch is $50 for each one… works out to about $1,200 to replace the packs. Adjust them perfectly, and you will get a lot of service life out of them. Running on low hydraulic fluid, or a steep upward incline burns them up. The pick up for the hydraulic transmission fluid is at the front of the machine on my 1200. This is the supply for the pump and the clutch lube. If you drive up an long, steep incline, the fluid stops flowing, the clutches can overheat, and they burn up just like automatic transmission clutches.

Looks like a fun project!

Latest posts