Mustang 2044 jerking/bouncing problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SkidAround

Hello Forum, just bought a 2004 Mustang 2044 skid steer. Have driven a few bobcats but this is my first skid steer that I own, got a few questions, this machine was wayyy too bouncy and it would jerk back and forth even at super low speeds so I checked the front tires for air, one was at 15 psi the other at 30 psi but the back tires eventhough they are similar tubeless tires like the front ones had no air at all and also I could not put any air in them, also they do not look flat. Are these foam filled tires? I filled the front tires to 60psi each and the bouncing back and forth probably got worse. Is there any other issue that could cause this besides the mismatched tires? Also if the rear tires are foam filled will I still be able to use the rims without much issue and put air tires back on them? Also where is a good place to buy parts, the two pins for the bucket where it connects to the arms also seem to have a lot of play in them.

Also the machine has 3100 hrs and the previous owner said he rebuild the engine 200 hours ago. Besides the tire issue it also needs a bucket and the parking brakes don't work either. Paid 10k for it, would you say it was a fair deal?

Any help appreciated,
cheers
IMG_0315.jpg

foton

looks like a 10,000 dollar machine to me and if you do not need foam in the tires to prevent flats (like it is being used in a scrap yard) I would not go down that road just put on some severe duty tires with the rim savers and call it good.

OP
OP
S

SkidAround

looks like a 10,000 dollar machine to me and if you do not need foam in the tires to prevent flats (like it is being used in a scrap yard) I would not go down that road just put on some severe duty tires with the rim savers and call it good.
Thanks for the response, noob question: rim savers are part of a specific brand of tire correct? something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B01JEV8048
also are the rims in the back re useable after having foam in them? will the tire shop have a hell of a time cleaning out foam to mount new tires?

thanks

foton

the rim savers are moulded on the tire itself , it is just a nice feature to have. and yes the tires might have to be cut off and the rims cleaned if you can find someone to do it,which might be you.

jjcarroll1

Hello Forum, just bought a 2004 Mustang 2044 skid steer. Have driven a few bobcats but this is my first skid steer that I own, got a few questions, this machine was wayyy too bouncy and it would jerk back and forth even at super low speeds so I checked the front tires for air, one was at 15 psi the other at 30 psi but the back tires eventhough they are similar tubeless tires like the front ones had no air at all and also I could not put any air in them, also they do not look flat. Are these foam filled tires? I filled the front tires to 60psi each and the bouncing back and forth probably got worse. Is there any other issue that could cause this besides the mismatched tires? Also if the rear tires are foam filled will I still be able to use the rims without much issue and put air tires back on them? Also where is a good place to buy parts, the two pins for the bucket where it connects to the arms also seem to have a lot of play in them.

Also the machine has 3100 hrs and the previous owner said he rebuild the engine 200 hours ago. Besides the tire issue it also needs a bucket and the parking brakes don't work either. Paid 10k for it, would you say it was a fair deal?

Any help appreciated,
cheersView attachment 3719
It's possible parking brakes were bypassed cuz of known trouble with them locking up.

Firefighter

Check your engine cradle bolts to frame, make sure they are not missing they have (4) bolts & also the engine mount bolts to cradle & engine mounts to engine bolts are all tight & in place, also possible that the steering linkage to the pump control arm ball joints & bushings are worn
or the bolts that hold the control arm to the pump shaft are loose, they also have shock absorbers that could be bad
unlike bobcat loader, these loaders run the smoothest at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle wide open they can get jerky, any gehl or mustang dealer can help you with parts, not a lot of aftermarket available for mustang
as far as brakes go do they lock with the engine off? may have to park on a hill n see if it drifts slowly if it does there are parts missing or somebody bypassed them out

Mustang Guy

About your parking brake: Mustang/Gehl, and maybe others, use a little single acting spring loaded hydraulic cylinder on each side to unlock the brake. There is a solenoid valve under the seat on the left side that takes hydraulic pressure to the cylinders. You'll have to check to see if it's getting 12 volts with the key on. There is a way to disable the brakes by removing and capping the hoses that attach to the cylinders, and inserting a clean 1/8" welding rod (I forgot the exact length) down into the cylinder, and then screw down a fitting cap. This extends the cylinder and unlocks the brake. This procedure is described in your manual. When these little cylinders fail they fill your chaincase with hydraulic oil. Both of mine failed at different times at around 1,500 hrs.

Mustang Guy

Check to see if your brakes have been disabled. The hydraulic hoses to the little brake cylinders will be capped off if they are, and a fitting cap will be on the cylinder fitting. If you remove that fitting cap there will be a length of 1/8" sticking out. Best price for those cylinders is here (I've had to replace both of mine at different times). If this is your issue make sure you get the cylinder with the hole in the rod. The cylinders are spring loaded.

MQ170-34885__29013.1541517619.png

OP
OP
S

SkidAround

Check to see if your brakes have been disabled. The hydraulic hoses to the little brake cylinders will be capped off if they are, and a fitting cap will be on the cylinder fitting. If you remove that fitting cap there will be a length of 1/8" sticking out. Best price for those cylinders is here (I've had to replace both of mine at different times). If this is your issue make sure you get the cylinder with the hole in the rod. The cylinders are spring loaded.

MQ170-34885__29013.1541517619.png
Hey Thanks for this, I checked and yes the brakes do not work and it got a bit iffy as I did this on a hill without no way of stopping it lol . But anyways I pulled up the seat to look for these cylinders and I can't find them! Can you give me their approximate size and location in the photo I am attaching? Also a new problem that has risen is that the engine starts and runs fine but dies after 15-45 seconds, but I can get it to start everytime if I wait a few seconds and after a few seconds of cranking it stars and runs but does the same!! Any idea as to whats going on there? thank you

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0448.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0448.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 110
  • thumbnail_IMG_0449.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0449.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
S

SkidAround

Also I have a parts manual and a operators handbook but can't find a service manual! Is there one available online?

Firefighter

looks like the cylinder is there on 0449.jpg on left side looking in on top of chaincase. rt side should have one at a similar location , it does not look tampered with, as the paint does not show that it was off of the chaincase
did u shutoff loader to see if it would roll? Shutting off could be fuel related if it has an electric fuel supply pump make sure that its is on with the key. unhook the hose at the filter it should push a lot of fuel from it. if that is ok then there are several electrical components that could be at fault