LX565 Erratic Engine RPM on Shibaura N844

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

elmouca

I've been experiencing erratic engine speed under load on my LX565 with N844 engine. I finally figured it out but it took much longer than it should have. Below are my steps to help others trouble shoot.

1. Possible fuel / air delivery problem:
a. Replaced both fuel filters
b. Checked air filter and intake for obstruction
c. Added fuel pressure gauge to output of lift pump to monitor pressure during abnomaly
d. Inspected throttle linkage

2. Verify Governor Operation
a. Governor linkage internal to engine
b. Remove front engine cover with DIY puller to remove crankshaft pulley. There are some hidden retaining bolts on cover, so be mindful if it doesn't come off easily.
c. Inspect governor linkage
d. Some wear observed but not enough to validate syptoms - Replaced governor components despite no obvious cause
e. Re-assemble
f. Installed new oil seal for crankshaft with 3D printed seal driver.
g. Found Max Fuel Adjuster and Max RPM Adjuster to have been tampered with. Not field serviceable and must be replaced with sealed adjusters. Decided to reset both adjusters to the middle of the range instead of replacement.
h. Packed oil pump with assembly lube
i. Installed painted front engine cover. It is a bit tricky to align the oil pump into the pin in the engine cover.

No more erratic engine speed following repair. Unknown what was the root cause but the Max Fuel Adjuster and Max RPM adjust should not have been tampered with. If anyone needs the drawing for the puller or seal driver, please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3724.jpg
    IMG_3724.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 19

Tazza

Staff member
My understanding of the N844 governor system is springs and linkages, springs seem to loose tension over time, i wonder if you opening it up loosened things up? possibly even the injector pump rack, i wonder if that was part of the issue.

They are a good engine, but their failure point is the oil pump. If it fails, it takes out the front cover that is quite hard to get hold of.

Latest posts