LX565 Cold Start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JohnLX565

I have an LX565 and the dash was not lighting up and it would not crank. It has ALWAYS started !! I found the negative terminal to be corroded and cleaned that. Now I have my dash light back up and it cranks normal for zero degrees and my dash grid heater light is lit but there isn't any countdown and if I move through the dash board ---- it tells me I have ZERO Volts while I am cranking? That seem VERY ODD. Any thoughts? I'm about to dig into the manual and see how that could happen on the wiring diagram.

mrbb

if you had a lot of corrosion on the terminal, you very well might have corrosion in the wire itself, under the insulation , which will cause power supply issues to things down stream
, maybe remove the negative cable and inspect both ends closely , I would also inspect connections on all things for corrosion as well, as, on these older machines it can happen and cause like issues your having, start with connection at display and work around from there , is what I would do!

OP
OP
J

JohnLX565

It's working better. I had found one fuse that had blown previously in the cab fuse box and i had replaced it I was checking fuses again and found that this fuse had to be pushed it hard and at just the right angle and things are back to normal. It cranks good and I am getting a countdown but it now cranks and stumbles a bit. Will try a new try a new fuel filter. I may have gelled at 7 below.

Shanmar

Agree with mrbb. You're not getting good connection/current flow. I've had to replace a battery cable before because of similar issues. Both positive or ground could be suspect. Or.....weak battery not delivering the amps when cold.

imans

It's working better. I had found one fuse that had blown previously in the cab fuse box and i had replaced it I was checking fuses again and found that this fuse had to be pushed it hard and at just the right angle and things are back to normal. It cranks good and I am getting a countdown but it now cranks and stumbles a bit. Will try a new try a new fuel filter. I may have gelled at 7 below.

imans

I had a whole host of electrical problems. Everything runs through the EIC board- they fail.

OP
OP
J

JohnLX565

I put in a new fuel filter and added Lucas Anti-Gel. It is starting great now --- but it's also about 20 degrees out (almost balmy) !! My control panel is working AOK ---- it's the in cab fuse box that I think I need to replace. But it appears that it is a part of the entire cab wiring harness.

Shanmar

You're correct that it is part of the whole harness which is expensive and a lot of work to replace. In that case, I have done 1 of 2 things.
1- bent/crimped the blades of the fuse so that it fits tighter in the holder making better contact. This generally served as a short term improvement.
Or 2- took panel off above the fuse block and wired in a new inline fuse holder.

Another thought is if it is just corrosion maybe you can try to clean it somehow--sand paper? baking soda dissolve in water in a spray bottle???

Tractormech

I put in a new fuel filter and added Lucas Anti-Gel. It is starting great now --- but it's also about 20 degrees out (almost balmy) !! My control panel is working AOK ---- it's the in cab fuse box that I think I need to replace. But it appears that it is a part of the entire cab wiring harness.
It's a bit of a pain but you can order a new fuse holder- Dorman 85668 is a 4 fuse box. It comes with new terminals. It may be an option for you.

OP
OP
J

JohnLX565

OH MY oh my !!! Now I have to ADMIT my FORGETFULLNESS !!!! I had thought that I had replaced the fuse box previously 10 or 15 years ago but I saw that NH didn't have a replacement fuse box. And when I looked up that Dorman part number I realized that I had done this a LONG TIME AGO!!! Looks like I need to redo the work that I did 15 years ago.
THANKS so much !! Too many other projects have been tackled in those years and I just FORGOT that one. You are a saint ! I think I'll wait till spring since its running now !

Tractormech

OH MY oh my !!! Now I have to ADMIT my FORGETFULLNESS !!!! I had thought that I had replaced the fuse box previously 10 or 15 years ago but I saw that NH didn't have a replacement fuse box. And when I looked up that Dorman part number I realized that I had done this a LONG TIME AGO!!! Looks like I need to redo the work that I did 15 years ago.
THANKS so much !! Too many other projects have been tackled in those years and I just FORGOT that one. You are a saint ! I think I'll wait till spring since its running now !
Good luck with it. I agree it's a warmer weather job. In the meantime some new clean fuses and some electrical contact cleaner may be your best friends.

OP
OP
J

JohnLX565

yes, the new fuses and cleaning the contacts has been my "best friends". Feed twice every day --- and I can't get along without my LX and it hasn't missed a start.

elmouca

I have an LX565 and the dash was not lighting up and it would not crank. It has ALWAYS started !! I found the negative terminal to be corroded and cleaned that. Now I have my dash light back up and it cranks normal for zero degrees and my dash grid heater light is lit but there isn't any countdown and if I move through the dash board ---- it tells me I have ZERO Volts while I am cranking? That seem VERY ODD. Any thoughts? I'm about to dig into the manual and see how that could happen on the wiring diagram.
I had a similar condition with my LX565 dash not working. I decided to remove the electronic dash and fabricate a new dash with standard gauges for fuel, hour meter, hydraulic temp, voltmeter, oil pressure, engine temp and RPM.

The new dashboard has been reliable and no issues in four years.

Latest posts