First Bobcat, 731 Questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RyanG

Picked up a 731 not running last week. Got it up and going and it seems to do pretty well. It has its bumps and bruises but operates ok. Needs tires, wiring, lights, and general TLC. Questions: It has Aux connections on the arm but how do you use them? I read the right stick should go side to side but it doesn't. When the drive sticks are relaxed it doesnt stay still. It wants to constantly move. Is there an adjustment? Does anyone have a wiring diagram? It is a mess.
3AF9F34A-FCAD-40BC-B07F-B079E9C5D032.jpg
9F002F62-CC8A-417D-97D8-FB7E0612E2C2.jpg

OP
OP
R

RyanG

Well I tried to post pictures. When I enable the HTML Editor it doesn't work at all. Cant type anything in the box. If anyone can teach me anything about this bobcat (or posting pictures) let me know. It does have the 2cy Deutz engine. F2L511

wbecker

RyanG, I suggest you get the maintenance manual for your 731, the bobcat manuals are well written and include wire diagrams. I look on eBay and there are several available, under $50, well worth it. Tazza is the expert, he may be able to explain the creeping adjustment, it's not hard to do, just touchy to get it right. Have fun. Bill B

Tazza

Staff member
RyanG, I suggest you get the maintenance manual for your 731, the bobcat manuals are well written and include wire diagrams. I look on eBay and there are several available, under $50, well worth it. Tazza is the expert, he may be able to explain the creeping adjustment, it's not hard to do, just touchy to get it right. Have fun. Bill B
My first bobcat was a 731, awesome machine. Uses pretty well no fuel and just keeps running. The 2 cylinder detuz engine does rattle a lot, but never game me any troubles.
Steering%20Adjustment.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering Adjustment.jpg
While you are in there, check the main suction filter. With the cab up, there is a square block on the hydraulic pump. On the left side are three hoses going ito the block. You want to remove the hose and fitting to the middle one. There should be a bronze filter behind it. Take it out and give it a real good clean with solvent and compressed air.
When i got mine, it would run well for a little while, then loose power and scream at me and not move. The filter was blocked starving the pumps, foaming the oil. Cleaned it and it had full power back.

Tazza

Staff member
My first bobcat was a 731, awesome machine. Uses pretty well no fuel and just keeps running. The 2 cylinder detuz engine does rattle a lot, but never game me any troubles.

http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering%20Adjustment.jpg
While you are in there, check the main suction filter. With the cab up, there is a square block on the hydraulic pump. On the left side are three hoses going ito the block. You want to remove the hose and fitting to the middle one. There should be a bronze filter behind it. Take it out and give it a real good clean with solvent and compressed air.
When i got mine, it would run well for a little while, then loose power and scream at me and not move. The filter was blocked starving the pumps, foaming the oil. Cleaned it and it had full power back.
Sorry, forgot the aux hydraulic question.
The right stick controls that, move it left and right. If it will not move, remove the seat or complete cab (earlier models didn't flip back) there should be a bolt in the arm to the steering likage that locks the aux hydraulics out.

OP
OP
R

RyanG

Sorry, forgot the aux hydraulic question.
The right stick controls that, move it left and right. If it will not move, remove the seat or complete cab (earlier models didn't flip back) there should be a bolt in the arm to the steering likage that locks the aux hydraulics out.
Thanks for the replies guys. I purchased a manual and it has all the wiring diagrams. I'm probably going to paint it up and get my brother to make new decals. I will post pictures of it as I go, maybe someone else can use the help.

OP
OP
R

RyanG

Thanks for the replies guys. I purchased a manual and it has all the wiring diagrams. I'm probably going to paint it up and get my brother to make new decals. I will post pictures of it as I go, maybe someone else can use the help.
Short followup. I replaced the fuel filter, oil filter, oil, fuel lines, and delivery valve o rings and it is running great. It still doesn't sit still and the parking brake doesn't work but I have been using it like crazy around the house. As soon as I finish building my garage Im going to really go through it and get it right.

Tazza

Staff member
Short followup. I replaced the fuel filter, oil filter, oil, fuel lines, and delivery valve o rings and it is running great. It still doesn't sit still and the parking brake doesn't work but I have been using it like crazy around the house. As soon as I finish building my garage Im going to really go through it and get it right.
Good to hear you are giving it a good run, they sure do save a lot of hard work.
That's the issue, you have repairs you want to do, but you can't do it when you need tha machine running can you? I had this exact issue with my 731, i had work to do, but the machine was apart waiting for hoses or other parts.
It is well worth the time t repair, they save you ao much hard work.

brdgbldr

All of the older machines have a U-Joint between the engine and the pump. They are very neglected since it is hard to get to the grease points.

Hiram

The 731 is a great workhorse. The creep means you likely have flat spots on linkage discs. Best bet is to look on YouTube for Bobcat Creep. There are several good videos on how to correct it. The cost isn't great but the procedure is delicate and tedious. I even made my own linkage discs when I couldn't get new ones for several months. Two other hidden problems. One mentioned above, the hydraulic oil filter hidden in the square distribution block. The other is in the single cylinder apparatus for the bucket tilt. Check it carefully for fractures either at the cylinder ram head or more especially in the attachment point to the bucket frame.

SinkinShip

Hi everyone. First time I have posted. I own a 2021 Bobcat T770. It came with a backup camera and a radio. I went to get in it today and I don't have power to either one of them. Does anyone know where the fuse is located for them? I'm assuming they are probably on the same relay but not positive. Also, does Bobcat run them through the fuse box or do they use inline fuses like the aftermarket stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.