Dead Machine Retrieval Experience

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Condor

Thought I would share this maybe some can add to it. While digging a deep ditch in a muddy area last fall with my attachment backhoe on my Hydra-Mac skidloader, I heard a loud bang and immediately lost all hydraulic pressure and the low charge pressure (for the hydrostatic systems) warning light warning light came "on". I shut the loader off quickly. I assumed the hydraulic pump failed, snapped off at it's drive shaft, (hence the loud bang) and since the charge pump was driven off the other side of the hydraulic pump, it wasn't being driven either. After freaking out a while, I realized the 1st task was to get the backhoe boom,dipper,bucket out of the ditch, (the bucket had a full scoop of mud down at the bottom of a 8' deep ditch) and also get the outriggers up. I then borrowed a friend's Toyota skidloader, got it parked along side of my dead rig, and Mickey Moused hoses/fittings from the attachment backhoe (while it was still attached to my machine) to the aux hydraulics of the Toyota. It worked great to the backhoe back to "travel" position. 2nd task was to get my dead machine mobile and get it back to the shop that a was aways away. Terrain condition was very sloppy, and had limited access for a large rig to pull it out. Challenge at this point was configure a means of providing a charge oil supply to my loader's hydrostatic system so it could be driven. Knowing the Toyota's aux hydraulics had way too much pressure and flow for my charge oil supply, that wasn't an option. Then I got looking at my old logsplitter. Did the Mickey Mouse thing again with hoses/fittings to provide charge oil supply to my loader's hydrostatic systems from the log splitter. To my dismay though, once I started the log splitter, it ruptured the charge oil supply filter on the dead loader. Now learning the 5HP Briggs & Stratton motor couldn't be slowed down enough, I removed the Briggs motor and replaced it with a 24volt Bosch cordless drill!! Fortunately I had spare filters for the loader to replace the ruptured one. Experimentation with the loader motor off, I was able to chain the log splitter to the back of the loader and position myself to trigger the cordless drill while watching the low charge pressure warning light on the loader's instrument panel. Then I got my wife to start the loader, drive it idling back to the shop, while I would trigger the cordless drill whenever the low charge pressure warning light would come on!! All who were involved are still laughing about this ordeal!! Any suggestions for how I could have done things differently?

Tazza

Staff member
You did the same as i would for the hoe attachment, you were lucky you had access to another machine that you could use the hydraulics on!
As for the charge pressure, i personally wouldn't ave done that as i would have been thinking what other damage could i be doing as the broken shaft wobbled around. As i have more than one machine i would have simply dragged it around to somewhere i could work on it or at least out of the way so i can work on it where it is. The other way would be to use a chain block to drag it around, but you need some rather large trees to hook on to.
You did well though!

sterlclan

You did the same as i would for the hoe attachment, you were lucky you had access to another machine that you could use the hydraulics on!
As for the charge pressure, i personally wouldn't ave done that as i would have been thinking what other damage could i be doing as the broken shaft wobbled around. As i have more than one machine i would have simply dragged it around to somewhere i could work on it or at least out of the way so i can work on it where it is. The other way would be to use a chain block to drag it around, but you need some rather large trees to hook on to.
You did well though!
what broke? brute force works ok too........Jeff

OP
OP
C

Condor

In another thread he mentioned that the shaft to the charge pump broke.
The hydraulic pump wore out, locked it up, and snap the input shaft. The hydraulic pump is one of those deals that incorporates the charge pump at the other end, so when the hydraulic shaft broke, charge pump operation ceased. Besides lots of hours, I think I found the likely culprit for the hydraulic pump failure. The previous owner had replaced the 3/4" hydraulic output hose from the hydraulic pump to the control valve assembly with 1/2" (noting the hydraulic system relief valve is downstream of this hose - in the control valve assembly). I suspect the restriction of the 1/2" hose resulted in overpressurizing the pump. Anyway, I replaced it with the correct hose, much faster than the previous arrangement.

OP
OP
C

Condor

You did well though!
Yes, no doubt I was lucky to have access to the another machine's auxiliary hydraulics to get the backhoe out of the ditch and folded up for transport! Looking back, I guessing I could have used the logsplitter (with the Briggs motor, not the cordless drill) to provide hydraulics to the backhoe, just to get it out of the ditch and folded up. Yes it would have been slow, but the pressure probably would have been adequate. Agreed on the wobbling shaft worries. Didn't have access to a larger machine. In this case, I had to move the machine considerable distance for repairs, might have done more damage to drag it than limp it back with the logsplitter.

sandhills-elect

Yes, no doubt I was lucky to have access to the another machine's auxiliary hydraulics to get the backhoe out of the ditch and folded up for transport! Looking back, I guessing I could have used the logsplitter (with the Briggs motor, not the cordless drill) to provide hydraulics to the backhoe, just to get it out of the ditch and folded up. Yes it would have been slow, but the pressure probably would have been adequate. Agreed on the wobbling shaft worries. Didn't have access to a larger machine. In this case, I had to move the machine considerable distance for repairs, might have done more damage to drag it than limp it back with the logsplitter.
It really does not matter what we think as long as it worked for you. Good job and you did not tear anything else up, i don't know what more could be asked. See ya around here Brent.