Bobcat 853 fuel line has no suction/fuel

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

conc2steel

I have a bobcat 853 that stalls/loses power as if out of fuel. After replacing the fuel filter I couldn't get the fuel line to prime. After replacing the hand bulb the problem remailed. I believe that I've got a hole in the line because while I can have all kinds of suction, all that comes out is air. How do you replace the fuel line?

Fishfiles

fuel pickup tube , go back with new hard plastic tube and not the original clear tubing , it's a fairly hard thing to change on an 853 , especially if you never one it before cause you can't see it , there is a thread on the job on this site

Tazza

Staff member
fuel pickup tube , go back with new hard plastic tube and not the original clear tubing , it's a fairly hard thing to change on an 853 , especially if you never one it before cause you can't see it , there is a thread on the job on this site
If you don't have a one way valve on the pickup tube, priming can be rather hard. But once you get prime it will run just fine. Had this problem before!

OP
OP
C

conc2steel

If you don't have a one way valve on the pickup tube, priming can be rather hard. But once you get prime it will run just fine. Had this problem before!
After replacing the fuel pickup tube and tube filter my problem contined. The fix was a surprise, from the fuel filter follow the fuel line to the point where it connects into the injector pump. Follow the chrome connector till you see a bolt with a rubber washer. I don't know the name of this bolt, but it has a small hole that had a piece of debris in it that was stopping the fuel from flowing properly. Remove the bolt, clean, reinstall and no more fuel problem.

thetool

After replacing the fuel pickup tube and tube filter my problem contined. The fix was a surprise, from the fuel filter follow the fuel line to the point where it connects into the injector pump. Follow the chrome connector till you see a bolt with a rubber washer. I don't know the name of this bolt, but it has a small hole that had a piece of debris in it that was stopping the fuel from flowing properly. Remove the bolt, clean, reinstall and no more fuel problem.
Like a banjo bolt? I wonder how that debris got past the filter? Was it black palstic debris or what?
Good job on the fix! You might want to investigate further, see if you don't have rotten fuel line or something coming apart downstream of the filter.
Squeeze ball sometimes comes apart inside, you replaced yours, I think they are upstream of the filter?

OP
OP
C

conc2steel

Like a banjo bolt? I wonder how that debris got past the filter? Was it black palstic debris or what?
Good job on the fix! You might want to investigate further, see if you don't have rotten fuel line or something coming apart downstream of the filter.
Squeeze ball sometimes comes apart inside, you replaced yours, I think they are upstream of the filter?
Yep, it is called a banjo bolt. Thanks for the hint on the upstream fuel line, I'll replace it. I couldn't tell what debris was in the bolt, when removed a bunch of fuel came out and it cleared the plug. After about an hour of recent operation I had a repeat of the problem...I'll see if the bolt removal fixes it again. I'll pay attention for the debris and see if I can determine what it is.

OP
OP
C

conc2steel

Yep, it is called a banjo bolt. Thanks for the hint on the upstream fuel line, I'll replace it. I couldn't tell what debris was in the bolt, when removed a bunch of fuel came out and it cleared the plug. After about an hour of recent operation I had a repeat of the problem...I'll see if the bolt removal fixes it again. I'll pay attention for the debris and see if I can determine what it is.
OK guys, I'm stumped. After the initial un-plug with the banjo bolt, the problem repeats. After about 5 minutes of operation the 853 acts fuel starved. If I go to the fuel line hand pump, it is not sucked close, however it is soft. After 5-10 squerzes the ball is hard and the machine runs fine for about 5 minutes... any ideas?

Fishfiles

OK guys, I'm stumped. After the initial un-plug with the banjo bolt, the problem repeats. After about 5 minutes of operation the 853 acts fuel starved. If I go to the fuel line hand pump, it is not sucked close, however it is soft. After 5-10 squerzes the ball is hard and the machine runs fine for about 5 minutes... any ideas?
fuel pick up tube cracked and sucking air , broke off short , deteriated pieces of the old suction tube jammed up in the 90 degree fitting , trash in the ball check valve of the fuel primer bulb , posssibly a vent problem on the tank , what kind of fuel cap do you have on it ------if you remove the hose off the primer bulb and you pump it and let it hang down t should siphon out steady ---------try putting a clear piece of hose or a clear in line fuel filter in the line coming off the tank before the prime bulb , and see if air bubbles are present

thetool

Since you've already eliminated the pickup, the bulb, and fuel lines, it seems that it has to be sucking air from someplace.
I'm stumped too, without being able to see it.
Double-check what you've already done? Are there any damp spots on the fuel injection pump, or check all your screws and stuff on the injection pump?
Sometimes, there is more than one problem, and that can throw a guy off. Maybe you had bad pickup, a rotting line somewhere, AND a seal on one of the screws on the injection pump.......just an example I'm throwing out there to get you thinking out of a certain box, in case you are.......=).
I don't know how many guys are tracking this thread, maybe you need to post new to get some more guys chiming in?

thetool

Since you've already eliminated the pickup, the bulb, and fuel lines, it seems that it has to be sucking air from someplace.
Double-check what you've already done? Are there any damp spots on the fuel injection pump, or check all your screws and stuff on the injection pump?
Sometimes, there is more than one problem, and that can throw a guy off. Maybe you had bad pickup, a rotting line somewhere, AND a seal on one of the screws on the injection pump.......just an example I'm throwing out there to get you thinking out of a certain box, in case you are.......=).
I don't know how many guys are tracking this thread, maybe you need to post new to get some more guys chiming in?
Re-reading a little bit here......
Could the "debris" have been a peice of the rubber washer under the banjo bolt, and now it is sucking air there?
Just a thought.....

thetool

Yeah fishfiles-
That's good stuff to check....
Sorry I didn't see your post before I sent mine.....=).

OldMachinist

Yeah fishfiles-
That's good stuff to check....
Sorry I didn't see your post before I sent mine.....=).
As myself and others have suggested before try to figure out which side of the primer the problems on by connecting a new line on the suction side of the bulb and drop it in a container of fresh fuel. If it doesn't happen you know the problem is from there to the tank. If not it's from the primer to the pump.

Skiddy

As myself and others have suggested before try to figure out which side of the primer the problems on by connecting a new line on the suction side of the bulb and drop it in a container of fresh fuel. If it doesn't happen you know the problem is from there to the tank. If not it's from the primer to the pump.
did you reprime the system after the filter change? You gotta get rid of the air in the system!

OP
OP
C

conc2steel

did you reprime the system after the filter change? You gotta get rid of the air in the system!
You're going to love this. The previous owner had appearantly replaced the pickup tube too, and also the return tube. Then he'd installed them backwards! The effect is that when the tank was full and the vehicle wasn't bouncing around, it would pull fuel from the return line. I think that the return line he'd installed was as long as the pickup tube originally... and had broken through use when I had it creating the problem. To be honest, I still cant figure out how the bobcat ran in the past set up like this... perhaps the retun and suction line didn't have the pickup tube filter/1 way valve. Lesson: Trace the fuel lines when dealing with a used machine!

Tazza

Staff member
You're going to love this. The previous owner had appearantly replaced the pickup tube too, and also the return tube. Then he'd installed them backwards! The effect is that when the tank was full and the vehicle wasn't bouncing around, it would pull fuel from the return line. I think that the return line he'd installed was as long as the pickup tube originally... and had broken through use when I had it creating the problem. To be honest, I still cant figure out how the bobcat ran in the past set up like this... perhaps the retun and suction line didn't have the pickup tube filter/1 way valve. Lesson: Trace the fuel lines when dealing with a used machine!
The fun of sorting out the mistakes of previous owners....
Glad you found it at least!

perry

The fun of sorting out the mistakes of previous owners....
Glad you found it at least!
SO!! true Tazza, my BC education (853) came from the previous owner, don't know everything, but damn close.....

thetool

SO!! true Tazza, my BC education (853) came from the previous owner, don't know everything, but damn close.....
Again, Conc2steel-good job on the fix!!!
And thanks for keeping us updated, it's good info!

AJJ

i have the same issue .what was the fix?

ShaunT

Where did you get your pump from. I have the same issue and have narrowed it down to a pump. However the prices are all over the place and I don't know who to trust for parts. Thanks

Latest posts