Bobcat fuel

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Zach

Hello, I have a 2003 bobcat T300 and I need to drain the fuel tank, what's the way or easiest way? Thanks in advance

Topper1

Although I'm unfamiliar with the t300 specifically. Park the unit so filler side is low.
You could use a simple sifon hose, or if you have,
Fit a fuel transfer pump with a hose suction rather then the solid pipe.
Suck the tank dry.
Key point is to ensure the filler side is lowest.
I generally park one side of the machine on a couple 4x4s to get a good slope and keep the suction hose as close to bottom as possible.

foton

I ahve used a drill powered pump with good luck , adding some sort of weight to the suction hose to keep it from curling and on the bottom of the tank makes life easier. I used a 120 volt drill on high speed ,on diesel I do not have a problem with this method I would not do this with gas. make sure to get a sample near the bottom of the tank and look for trash and water so if there is you can do something about it.

brdgbldr

There is a fuel tank drain plug. You can find it in the parts diagrams.

I have not done it on a T300 but the normal process is to get as much fuel out of the tank through the pickup line. Then there is normally a plate on the bottom of the machine that needs to be removed and the plug should be accessable.

It helps to put the machine up on stands to give yourself enough room. It can be a very messy process.

foton

messy is right ,more so if the tank is near full ,I would pump out what I can and then if you want to fully drain it out then go after the drain plug with most of the diesel out already you will not spill as much.

Gerry Trudeau

There is a plug in the tank at the bottom of machine. You just need to remove a cover underneath of machine. You can drain it dry from there, along with the crap in the bottom of the tank.

fhil

Fhil here. New member. First post. Thanks to others as I have used their advice several times. I have a 763 used around the property occasionally. Mistakenly put 2 gals of gasoline in the 14 gal tank. Suction hose would not go in far enough to reach fuel. Tried 1/4" line same result.Pump attached before primer bulb and no fuel came out. A friend suggested to add a quart of 30 weight engine oil (for lubrication), fill tank with diesel and run it. Any thoughts on this working and not causing problems? Thanks, Fhil.

laurencen

may be fine then again its not my machine of his, myself I would find a way to pump most out one way or another, I had a VW Jetta many years ago, wife put in a couple gallons of gas before she realized, topped up with Diesel and ran fine, every day topped it off as a precaution.

myself I would find a way to empty it

foton

the soultion to pollution is dilution, IF the ratio is very high (gas to diesel)run it and adding something like ATF used to be a thing for cleaning out injectors,so it should not hurt as long as you do not have a emissions engine. you are not the first to do this. the neighbor put gas in his deere tractor ran it till it died,figured out what he did,drained what we could get out,refilled with diesel reprimed it and it started right up and to the best I know it has been fine. and that was 3 years ago. and to add that was a newish tractor meant to have ultra low sulpher fuel.

brdgbldr

The filler tube has a screen in it that will not allow you to pump out the fuel. If you can get to where the filler tube meets the tank and remove it and the screen you should be able to pump it out.

You also have a tank drain but it is very messy.

fhil

Thank you all for the info. Sounds like the prudent way to proceed is to drain the the tank as taking the easy way could be EXPENSIVE! I have a 15 gal tub I use to feed corn to cows. If my floor jack at rear of the Bobcat will get it high enough to clear the tub at the drain, I'll drain it or find another way. One of you suggested to use vice grips to remove the plug, so I'll try that.

Latest posts