Adapting a hydraulic snowblower from lawn tractor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tmq

Has anyone ever adapted a lawn tractor snowblower to fit on the bobcat. I have a 642 with the auxiliary hydraulics and have found a 48" hydraulic operated Jacobsen snowblower off of a lawn tractor. The bobtach hookup will be easy enough to fabricate but I'm wondering if the bobcat hydraulics will run this blower.

jd50520

I haven't adapted one yet, but I will be!! In 48 hours I am going to pick up a single-stage blower that was made for Cub Cadet. And just like your situation, it will be going on a 642! I don't know the answer for sure on the hydraulic power supply, HOWEVER, I am fortunately connected with a real good advisor who was a field service tech for Bobcat Company at the time the 642 was manufactured, and will be having discussion with him on exactly the same subject you are referring to. I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.

hp0617

Isn't your 642 close to 5' wide? Just wondering how you were going to address the extra width. I have a 632 and have thought of trying these little blowers out also, but, the skidsteer being wider than those little blowers always hung my thoughts up. . . .

OP
OP
T

tmq

Isn't your 642 close to 5' wide? Just wondering how you were going to address the extra width. I have a 632 and have thought of trying these little blowers out also, but, the skidsteer being wider than those little blowers always hung my thoughts up. . . .
Thanks for the interest guys. My 642 with 10 x 16.5 tires is right at 50" outside to outside of tires. I thought I would just add a 2" angle on each side of the blower to make up. Also am installing tire chains soon which will help get through the snow. Will be looking for future posts. Am also wondering if we have to hold the aux lever over while running the blower or will the motor keep running without holding the lever? Would be hard to operate if I have to hold it.

OP
OP
T

tmq

Thanks for the interest guys. My 642 with 10 x 16.5 tires is right at 50" outside to outside of tires. I thought I would just add a 2" angle on each side of the blower to make up. Also am installing tire chains soon which will help get through the snow. Will be looking for future posts. Am also wondering if we have to hold the aux lever over while running the blower or will the motor keep running without holding the lever? Would be hard to operate if I have to hold it.
Started thinking about the width, went out and measured again.. more like 54" total width. I guess that means 3" side extensions on the tractor snowblower. If it works it would be a cheap alternative to the very expensive units I've seen dedicated to the bobcats.

wings5j

Pushing your lever fully to the right will put it in a detent for continuous flow. You shouldn't have to hold the lever.
John

skidsteer.ca

Pushing your lever fully to the right will put it in a detent for continuous flow. You shouldn't have to hold the lever.
John
I would go wider then the machine by 4".
However more importantly, do you know the flow and pressure of the machine the blower came from, because you going to have to limit the flow and perhaps the pressure from the Bobcat or you will burn up you hydraulic motor. Their may be a small percentage that you can over flow the motor, but it won't be double or aything like that.
Is there a tag on you hydraulic motor thaat you could trace back to the specs of the motor?
Ken

jd50520

Got the snowblower home. Really should be called snowthrower since it is single-stage. Anyways, it is a full 54-inches wide and has factory 4-inch extensions. Was made for front-mount on a model 140 IHC tractor, not Cub Cadet as previously stated. ( Was just going by what I'd been told) Since it was made for pto power, the hydraulic drive conversion will not be 100% straight forward, unfortunately. It certainly is doable though. I'd rather talk to you on the phone than go on and on typing here. Sunday night or Monday morning before 9:00 Central would be best time to reach me and not the answering machine. Phone here is 320-264-1882 Or you can always leave message and your number and when to call you. Jon

OP
OP
T

tmq

Got the snowblower home. Really should be called snowthrower since it is single-stage. Anyways, it is a full 54-inches wide and has factory 4-inch extensions. Was made for front-mount on a model 140 IHC tractor, not Cub Cadet as previously stated. ( Was just going by what I'd been told) Since it was made for pto power, the hydraulic drive conversion will not be 100% straight forward, unfortunately. It certainly is doable though. I'd rather talk to you on the phone than go on and on typing here. Sunday night or Monday morning before 9:00 Central would be best time to reach me and not the answering machine. Phone here is 320-264-1882 Or you can always leave message and your number and when to call you. Jon
I guess I'm not gonna try the 48" jacobsen and will keep my eye open for one a little wider. There was a 54" john deere for $100 on craigslist a couple months ago that I missed. John, email me at [email protected], I have a couple 642 questions for you.