863 bobcat side steer won’t turn over and no power to cab

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dulinl43

Hey, I've got a 863 old bobcat side steer and we were moving boulders and rock one afternoon and it shut down while it was going down hill now we aren't able to turn on at switch "no beep" when turning the ignition. I just now have a volt meter and battery and terminals are good and still have yet to volt check the battery charge. What is my problem l?

OP
OP
D

dulinl43

Fuses that were next to the alternator have been changed out Fuse Amp 15 blue blown twice but we got it running still don't know why it blowing a fuse

foton

it is either a hot wire with bad insulation going to ground ,so it is pulling more amps than the circuit is designed to operate at, or a electrical circuit as a bad electric motor dragging causing it to pull more amps than the designed for. having a blown fuse at least tells you what circuit to look at.

OP
OP
D

dulinl43

It's done it going down hill and shut off I was thinking maybe the traction control has something to do with it. Thanks guys

Smack

My 863 will be running fine, then it shuts-down the hydraulics if the battery voltage gets too low.
I think that the voltage becomes too low for the computer.
Charging the battery for a few hours and it works again as normal. I need to get that alternator checked, but I usually run it around just at idle speed because it has plenty of power there, so maybe the engine RPM's are too low to adequately charge battery.

polishpete

My 863 will be running fine, then it shuts-down the hydraulics if the battery voltage gets too low.
Charging the battery for a few hours and it works again as normal. I need to get that alternator checked, but I usually run it around just at idle speed because it has plenty of power there, so maybe the engine RPM's are too low to adequately charge battery.
your alternator is no good or bad fuse

foton

let me add this thought you have a circuit that is blowing the fuses, if that circuit has got something to do with the ability of the alternator to sense it needs to charge ,the alternator will not be doing its job correctly. hint there is a wire that is called a sense wire that helps the alternator know when to charge the battery, usally it lets it kick in from low rpms. I had a issue on my back hoe where the sense wire was just on a push type blade post and had some resistance in it from I guess just age, cleaned up the blade connector and squeezed the female plug to tighten it up ,all is good. but it could be a weak alt. too look for over 13.2 volts at the battery when running at a idle.

wmodel1897

Also if you have to replace alternator get a one wire one. Then you don't need to worry about the sensor wire. you just run the one wire out of it to battery side of starter or to battery and make sure it has a good ground. I have done this a few times and it solved the problems I was having. Its easy to tell if alternator is working. Put a multimeter on battery and see what voltage is with it not running, then start and check voltage again. It should be 1 to two amps higher. If it is the same then the alternator isn't working.

gggGary

My older Mustang has had that kind of issue. I'm chasing deer through the woods; loose wires, shorted wires where the factory over tightened zip ties on wire bundles, the latest; the 35 amp main push button circuit breaker has gotten intermittent. New one just ordered.
Fun fun fun with old equipment and control safety interlocks making for complicated troubleshooting.

UnexpectedBill

I think you are right about not charging at idle. An alternators ability to make amperage is rpm dependent. Can't speak to your specific machine, but in general and depending on the electrical load (lights on or off, etc.) alternators make enough juice to break even at idle. It is expected the machine will be above idle for anything more than sitting & warming up. Add some throttle and I predict your problem dissappears.