773 operating a 709 backhoe

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mt773

My hoe operated good on my old 763. I bought a nice 773, hooked up the hoe and cannot get it to operate. It is getting hydraulic pressure to the hoe, things try to move, but cannot. This tells me that I have a hydraulic lock and not returning fluid. I put a flow meter on the 773 and I have good flow. Any similar problems or ideas?

Tazza

Staff member
Could the quick couplers be around the wrong way? Try moving the thumb switch one way and operate it, then the opposite, see if the problem goes away.
You should be able to hold the thumb switch one way then pull the trigger to lock it on.

OP
OP
M

mt773

Could the quick couplers be around the wrong way? Try moving the thumb switch one way and operate it, then the opposite, see if the problem goes away.
You should be able to hold the thumb switch one way then pull the trigger to lock it on.
I thought about the couplers being reversed, but it should be a open system through the backhoe so if the couplers were reversed things would just operate backwards right?

jerry

I thought about the couplers being reversed, but it should be a open system through the backhoe so if the couplers were reversed things would just operate backwards right?
You didn't by chance put a restricting orifice in one of the lines right at the coupler? I found that with the flat face couplers when the orifice is drilled centered on the disk it will close off the flow when flow is reversed. Just a thought though.

OP
OP
M

mt773

You didn't by chance put a restricting orifice in one of the lines right at the coupler? I found that with the flat face couplers when the orifice is drilled centered on the disk it will close off the flow when flow is reversed. Just a thought though.
I switched the couplers and it works. I did not think that should make a difference, but it apparently does. So, oil flow to and through the backhoe is directional, AND my 763 and 773 oil flows are opposite.

Tazza

Staff member
I switched the couplers and it works. I did not think that should make a difference, but it apparently does. So, oil flow to and through the backhoe is directional, AND my 763 and 773 oil flows are opposite.
Glad it was simple.
Sadly no, they will not operate backwards, running like that can actually blow seals out as you are pumping in high pressure oil into the low pressure side.

Latest posts