255 issue with steering

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

i normally don't work on skid steers forklifts is what i work on full time and i was asked to look at my brothers skid steer and the issue is it a 255 two speed year 2004 and it moves forward and back fine but trying to move side to side is bad i have Manuel but i don't even know were to start it will drive forward and back fine that's what throws me off right there just no power steering any help would be great

Tazza

Staff member
What happens if you push up against a tree or other un-movable object, see if you can spin the tyres.
This is a way to check for power, when it turns, it needs a fair amount of power, it drives forward and backward fine, but fails when under load.
After that test, we can move on if it's a pump or motor.

OP
OP
L

[email protected]

What happens if you push up against a tree or other un-movable object, see if you can spin the tyres.
This is a way to check for power, when it turns, it needs a fair amount of power, it drives forward and backward fine, but fails when under load.
After that test, we can move on if it's a pump or motor.
no tire spin unless i am pushing both travel levers forward or revers almost as if its losing hyd pressure only when steering like to the point were the only way to steer is one lever in neutral and ta the other until it steers also the warmer the hyd fluid is the slower it steers the hyd cooler is bypassed and unit is always low on hyd fluid i am always yelling at them about it thank you for helping me out

Tazza

Staff member
no tire spin unless i am pushing both travel levers forward or revers almost as if its losing hyd pressure only when steering like to the point were the only way to steer is one lever in neutral and ta the other until it steers also the warmer the hyd fluid is the slower it steers the hyd cooler is bypassed and unit is always low on hyd fluid i am always yelling at them about it thank you for helping me out
Being low on fluid, it has to be going somewhere. It could be a leaky drive motor or motor seal, is the chain case over full?
So, being able to spin the tyres sounds like the pump and motors are ok, there is no reason why it won't turn if it has good power.

Latest posts