whining while steering when fluid warms up?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jim743

I am having some noise issues with a 243HDS Thomas. Seems to have excessive noise while steering, but good going straight. Sounds OK when fluid is cold. Is this a drive motor problem? Are rebuild kit available? I have done some web searching, but haven't been able to find much. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
It could be drive motors or even the pump. As they wear, they can get louder.
I'd like to think that parts would still be available, hopefully they are standard branded parts, eaton, vickers etc. These do not need to be bought off the dealer.
Have you seen if loader parts source have parts for ht epump and motors available?

kroog

It could be drive motors or even the pump. As they wear, they can get louder.
I'd like to think that parts would still be available, hopefully they are standard branded parts, eaton, vickers etc. These do not need to be bought off the dealer.
Have you seen if loader parts source have parts for ht epump and motors available?
Have you changed the hydraulic oil and both filters? I had a T243HDS for 8 years and the drive motors whined at lower RPMs when cold. The hydraulic oil is supposed to be 10W30. If the previous owner used 10W hyd oil, that would explain the whine. The owner's manual states to change BOTH hyd oil filters every 150 hours. If you have excess hours on the filters, they could be restricting flow and causing the whine. Just some suggestions, but I would start there. Your hyd system capacity is about 15 gallons. You should be able to find 10W30 in 5 gallon buckets at you local farm or auto supply store.

Latest posts