1992 LX555 Loss of Propulsion

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

92LX555

I have lost propulsion on the left side of my unit. My Hyd. light comes on and the unit makes a god awful sound. I have lost both forward and reverse. The boom works. I removed the cover on the left side and the fluid is 3/4 full. The chain is tight and everything appears to be in good shape. Called the New Holland dealer and was told that it could be either the pump or the motor. Their solution was to replace both of them. Since we are using my $ and not theirs I only want to repair what is bad and not the enitre unit. Could it be my screen just needs to be cleaned? I would assume that this not to be the case given that everything else works fine. My hyd. light does come when raising the boom. In regards to the pump for the LH side, based on the manual, this pump is the last pump towards the rear. Do I have to drain the fluid to remove this pump? Do I also have to drop the fuel tank to get to this pump or can I remove it from the top? I have a place close by that re-builds these for the dealership so I can cut out the middleman and save $. If it is the motor is this something that can be easily removed? Thanks,

skidsteer.ca

I have never had to do this, but on Bobcat the common diy test is to swap drive motors side to side and see if the problem moves to the other side or stays where it is. This tells you if it is the motor or the hydrostat..
I doubt its a screen or such, because it would likely affect both drive equally.
Not sure how the labor part would be on your NH but likely the same test is can be done to narrow the problem down.
Ken

OP
OP

92LX555

I have never had to do this, but on Bobcat the common diy test is to swap drive motors side to side and see if the problem moves to the other side or stays where it is. This tells you if it is the motor or the hydrostat..
I doubt its a screen or such, because it would likely affect both drive equally.
Not sure how the labor part would be on your NH but likely the same test is can be done to narrow the problem down.
Ken
Do I have to drain the fluid to remove the motrs and swap them? I doubted the screen theory for the same reason but I guess I was kinda holding out hope that this was a simple fix.

Tazza

Staff member
Do I have to drain the fluid to remove the motrs and swap them? I doubted the screen theory for the same reason but I guess I was kinda holding out hope that this was a simple fix.
No, just plug the lines as you remove them, that will prevent dirt getting in and oil out.

mllud

Will the motors come out the top or do I have to drop the fuel tank to get them?
They will come out the top. they are in front of your fuel tank. I dont think the tank has to be removed. Mike

OP
OP

92LX555

They will come out the top. they are in front of your fuel tank. I dont think the tank has to be removed. Mike
Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to begin swapping the motors tonight and start there. I will provide an update when I figure it out.

OP
OP

92LX555

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to begin swapping the motors tonight and start there. I will provide an update when I figure it out.
Ok so rather than just start ripping the thing apart I sat down last night in the barn and though about it. I also started the machine up again and tried to move it and raised and lowered the boom thinking that maybe there was stuck relieve valve somewhere that would free itself. Again, I have no propulsion of the left side of the machine, forward or reverse. You can hear what would appear to be the pump trying to work. I say this because to me it is very similar to the Power Steering Pump on my truck when it is out of fluid - sound wise anyway. Every once in a while I will get a burst of power and the propulsion is there but it is only for a brief second. My charge light is on while trying to move the machine. I also noticed that the charge light comes on when raising the boom. The boom will raise but it slow. I am wondering if this just a fluid problem? I pulled the cover off the left side and looked into the chain case reservoir. Everything looks ok to me and the level is 3/4 full. I started thinking back to when this problem may have occurred. While loading manure I remember that the light has been coming on, something that I related to low fluid. As I live in the middle of no where and do not get to town often I have three different manufacturers of fluids in the machine. One is a universal fluid that I got at TSC, one is a universal fluid that I got Wal-mart, and the third is a fluid that I got from the local hardware store. The hardware fluid was not universal and I beleive it was labelled as RC-5 or something similar. I only put 2 gallons of this fluid in. Could my problems be as simple as draining the fluid and replacing with new? I could undertsand this if it was affecting the entire machine but this is only on the left side, with the exception that the charge light comes on when raising the boom. The right side operates perfectly. Any thoughts? For those that don't already do it, from my experience I would recommend that all skid steer users have AT LEAST an extra 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid on hand at all times. I am probably also guilty of running the machine on too low of fluid until I can get into town and get some more.

jerry

Ok so rather than just start ripping the thing apart I sat down last night in the barn and though about it. I also started the machine up again and tried to move it and raised and lowered the boom thinking that maybe there was stuck relieve valve somewhere that would free itself. Again, I have no propulsion of the left side of the machine, forward or reverse. You can hear what would appear to be the pump trying to work. I say this because to me it is very similar to the Power Steering Pump on my truck when it is out of fluid - sound wise anyway. Every once in a while I will get a burst of power and the propulsion is there but it is only for a brief second. My charge light is on while trying to move the machine. I also noticed that the charge light comes on when raising the boom. The boom will raise but it slow. I am wondering if this just a fluid problem? I pulled the cover off the left side and looked into the chain case reservoir. Everything looks ok to me and the level is 3/4 full. I started thinking back to when this problem may have occurred. While loading manure I remember that the light has been coming on, something that I related to low fluid. As I live in the middle of no where and do not get to town often I have three different manufacturers of fluids in the machine. One is a universal fluid that I got at TSC, one is a universal fluid that I got Wal-mart, and the third is a fluid that I got from the local hardware store. The hardware fluid was not universal and I beleive it was labelled as RC-5 or something similar. I only put 2 gallons of this fluid in. Could my problems be as simple as draining the fluid and replacing with new? I could undertsand this if it was affecting the entire machine but this is only on the left side, with the exception that the charge light comes on when raising the boom. The right side operates perfectly. Any thoughts? For those that don't already do it, from my experience I would recommend that all skid steer users have AT LEAST an extra 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid on hand at all times. I am probably also guilty of running the machine on too low of fluid until I can get into town and get some more.
Just curious, is the chain case your only oil reservoir on that machine? It seems that it should have a separate hydraulic reservoir and not be using the chain case oil. I looked at a nh machine about a year ago and it had a little dipstick down by the left foot pedal and at the time I wondered about where the hyd oil reservoir was.

OP
OP

92LX555

Just curious, is the chain case your only oil reservoir on that machine? It seems that it should have a separate hydraulic reservoir and not be using the chain case oil. I looked at a nh machine about a year ago and it had a little dipstick down by the left foot pedal and at the time I wondered about where the hyd oil reservoir was.
Unless I am missing something, the chain case reservoir would be it. Keep in mind that both sides would be reservoirs. There is the dipstick in the cab by the foot controls on the left side of the machine. But, my dipstick is usless and I am not sure it is the right one for my machine.

skidsteer.ca

Unless I am missing something, the chain case reservoir would be it. Keep in mind that both sides would be reservoirs. There is the dipstick in the cab by the foot controls on the left side of the machine. But, my dipstick is usless and I am not sure it is the right one for my machine.
It would seem to me also there should be a separate reservoir for hydraulic oil.???
Ken

OP
OP

92LX555

Assume there is. What does that tell me? Even if the unit is low on oil I do not understand the loss of propulsion on just one side.
I checked the manual just be sure and there is no other reservoir other than the chain case reservoirs. I have one on the left and one on the right. The dipstick inside the cab by the foot controls feeds into the left side chain case reservoir. I know that this reservoir is 3/4 full, maybe slighty less. What I am thinking the problem with the machine is that relief valve for the left side pump has malfunctioned. I beleive that this valve is located right in the left side pump and not an external reflief valve. But again, I don't want to tear the LH side pump out and find out there was another relief valve somewhere else that was the culprit. My dealers around here are worthless. The first comment that I got from them was "you know, we sell new ones" while the second comment that I got was "we would just replace the pump and the motor". I have not won the lottery so we need to fix only what is broke and not buy a new machine. This machine has 4200 hours on it and has a brand new Kubota diesel in it that has less than 200 hours. Did I mention I only paid $4500 for it and it came with an oversized manure bucket, manure tines, and a bale spear?

robmints

I checked the manual just be sure and there is no other reservoir other than the chain case reservoirs. I have one on the left and one on the right. The dipstick inside the cab by the foot controls feeds into the left side chain case reservoir. I know that this reservoir is 3/4 full, maybe slighty less. What I am thinking the problem with the machine is that relief valve for the left side pump has malfunctioned. I beleive that this valve is located right in the left side pump and not an external reflief valve. But again, I don't want to tear the LH side pump out and find out there was another relief valve somewhere else that was the culprit. My dealers around here are worthless. The first comment that I got from them was "you know, we sell new ones" while the second comment that I got was "we would just replace the pump and the motor". I have not won the lottery so we need to fix only what is broke and not buy a new machine. This machine has 4200 hours on it and has a brand new Kubota diesel in it that has less than 200 hours. Did I mention I only paid $4500 for it and it came with an oversized manure bucket, manure tines, and a bale spear?
I think you are missing something. The hydraulic fluid does not have anything to do with the chain case. You have a hydraulic reservior. Mine is a 170 and the 565 I looked at was very similar. The front of the machine is where the bucket is, just for a landmark. Open the engine cover, look all the way forward and to the right, you should see a big plastic container like a giant window washer reservior. That should be the hydraulic fluid. I use mobil1 10w 30. Make sure it is full to the full line. You will see the fill tube in the front of the engine bay near the top center. It has a big plastic cap. Maybe I'm mis-understanding you though.

OP
OP

92LX555

I think you are missing something. The hydraulic fluid does not have anything to do with the chain case. You have a hydraulic reservior. Mine is a 170 and the 565 I looked at was very similar. The front of the machine is where the bucket is, just for a landmark. Open the engine cover, look all the way forward and to the right, you should see a big plastic container like a giant window washer reservior. That should be the hydraulic fluid. I use mobil1 10w 30. Make sure it is full to the full line. You will see the fill tube in the front of the engine bay near the top center. It has a big plastic cap. Maybe I'm mis-understanding you though.
I am from the north and sometimes can be a bit slow so bear with me. On the LX555, the hydraulic reservoir is the chain case case reservoir.....that is how they relate. Honestly guys, there are no other reservoirs. I have one on the left and one on the right. The dipstick only measures fluid on the left side. The only way to check the fluid level on the right is to remove the cover plate. But, assume the fluid level is low, I just don't see how it would affect propulsion on one side only. I know where the bucket is and what is considered the front of the machine but I can't find the turn signals!

robmints

I am from the north and sometimes can be a bit slow so bear with me. On the LX555, the hydraulic reservoir is the chain case case reservoir.....that is how they relate. Honestly guys, there are no other reservoirs. I have one on the left and one on the right. The dipstick only measures fluid on the left side. The only way to check the fluid level on the right is to remove the cover plate. But, assume the fluid level is low, I just don't see how it would affect propulsion on one side only. I know where the bucket is and what is considered the front of the machine but I can't find the turn signals!
IMG_0030.JPG

That is a weird angle with the top of the machine split off.

To check the chain case you should have a pipe plug on the side plate between the wheels. The dip stick is to check the gear oil on my 170.

robmints

To check the chain case you should have a pipe plug on the side plate between the wheels. The dip stick is to check the gear oil on my 170.
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php
That is the parts page place. It shows a hydraulic reservior for a 565. Did not look for the 555 cause the whole parts page would not come up for some reason.

OP
OP

92LX555

95% sure that my unit does not have this reservoir. I will check it tonight when I get home and let you know and I am wrong I will admit it. But, again, lets assume I have the reservoir in the rear of the machine (opposite the bucket) and on the left side on the machine (if I am looking at the machine with the bucket right in front of me), and it is BONE dry. Why would I have propulsion on one side and not the other? I do appreciate the responses and I will get this thing fixed!

skidsteer.ca

This is an older 555 not a 565 so I guess it must be the chain case, it would be hard to miss a reservoir, they are among the largest components on the loader. No one is trying to acuse you of anything, but the last machine I seen without a hyd resercvoir was a 371 bobcat, they were a clutch drive and the hydrauic pump used the chaincase reservoir. Last made in 1977.
If they are using chain case oil, there must be a screen or inlet filter to keep chain and sprocket wear out of the hydro system. You should find where the sender is for the charge pressure warning light and install a 150 psi guage in there. or T it in. The charge pressure light should be off. If its on it would be good to check the actual pressure. No idea on the spec but 100 psi or so...
It is my understanding at times the wheels will not turn at all, does the motor lug down like it is working when this occures or does it just sound normal? It not a bad bearing or something that is binding up? Because the motor would labor in that situation. Will the machine turn the wheels if its up on blocks?.
Do you have anything else there with a hydraulic pump you could hook hoses to the wheel motor and put some pressurre to it to see if it will turn the wheels on the trouble side?
Any competant hydraulic repair shop should have a flow meter the could plump into you hydrostat for the bad side and see what flow and pressure the hydrostat is capable of.
Or could you make so hoses up to flip the motors to the opposite side of the hydrostatic pump without actuall removing the motors?
You need to find a way to narrow down where the problem is.
Also don't rule out asking independant equipment repair shops, locally they are my best bet, for my white equipment anyway. I have never been to my good Bobcat dealer, but they do provide great service on the phone and fax info when needed. So check around until you find one like that.
Ken