1840 Electrical Concern

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kind4209

Morning! New to site and 1st post! I own a 2001 Case 1840 and I recently bought it used. It has started up no problem for the 3 weeks that I have owned it. Never been running longer that 20 minutes. Load on trailer--take to site to use for snow----attempt to unload from trailer and then I have my problem. I stopped along the route to fill up with diesel. When I put the key into ignition and and turned it to the right, for a split second all of the dots/bars light up as to show that my gas tank was filled. As soon as I turned the ignition key more to the right to actually start the machine, I had nothing. NO lights on the control panel, no turning over sound, no clicking as I might of had a bad battery (which I can't imagine that this is the problem-it started just 40 minutes before in -32F degree weather with absolutely no issue). I don't have a manual, just a parts manual. Any idea as to where I should attempt to look for a problem. My initial guess would be a bad ignition switch or a fuse or fuses went. I just need some help. Any suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks! VInny

OP
OP
K

kind4209

Did you try to boost it? All it takes is a bad conection, loose batterywire etc.
Ken
Ken, I did not try that but I did notice that the red battery cable was definitely loose but still was on the terminal post. Would that be the possible reason? And Will assume that I would need to tighten up that connection and then re try starting the machine. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks a bunch! And what do you mean by trying to boost it? Vinny

Tazza

Staff member
Ken, I did not try that but I did notice that the red battery cable was definitely loose but still was on the terminal post. Would that be the possible reason? And Will assume that I would need to tighten up that connection and then re try starting the machine. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks a bunch! And what do you mean by trying to boost it? Vinny
A loose battery cable can cause you all sorts of problems, i'd start there.
By boost, i believe Ken was talking about jumper cables to another good battery. Just in case the battery wasn't quite up for the task of starting the engine.

OP
OP
K

kind4209

A loose battery cable can cause you all sorts of problems, i'd start there.
By boost, i believe Ken was talking about jumper cables to another good battery. Just in case the battery wasn't quite up for the task of starting the engine.
that's what I thought boost meant--I'd rather be safe then sorry