1840 Case

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jsmith6752

Does anyone know what the voltage it takes for the cold start cylinder? There are 2 white wires going to it. Is that have its own fuse? I also heard that it had to be below a certain air temperature to work. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
J

jsmith6752

more info traced out the 2 wires going to the cold start either canister. I am getting 12 volts but the solenoid does nothing. I can't find a parts diagram with it shown. Any links or help would be appreciated thanks

OP
OP
J

jsmith6752

more info traced out the 2 wires going to the cold start either canister. I am getting 12 volts but the solenoid does nothing. I can't find a parts diagram with it shown. Any links or help would be appreciated thanks

billyb

If I remember correctly one wire is power from push button and the other to ground. Install a block heater for cold starting. Ether is hard on the engine.

billyb

If I remember correctly one wire is power from push button and the other to ground. Install a block heater for cold starting. Ether is hard on the engine.
Actually it just came to me that the ground wire when installed would have gone to a surface mounted temp sensor which is grounded, so you don't give a hot engine ether.
I have a couple 1840 's and I don't use the ether start.

Gearclash

My 5 cents worth (inflation you know). The 1840 engine is a CDC built Cummins 4B equivalent, and if it needs ether to start there is either something wrong with the engine or it is so cold it needs to be plugged in. This from many years of owning and operating a number of 6BTs.