Which one s330 or s630?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

StephenP

Hello All, I am scratching my head trying to figure out what would be the better one for the farm. Digging out of goat pens, moving hay bails, cleaning ponds and creeks out, moving equipment. I am torn between the 2 and cant figure out the majo difference between them other than the s330 has a higher HP but lower speed and hydraulic psi. Do they both offer the same attachments? If they were both the same price which would you choose and why? Thanks for the help!!! -Stephen

bobcatguy

You're comparing apples to oranges. A S330 is a 3300 lb rated operating capacity machine with vertical lift. The S630 is a 2180 R.O.C with radius lift. The 330 is a beast even though it's only shown to be 11 h.p more than the 630. If you lift seed pallets or the large seed bags on your farm I'd absolutely go with the S330. The S220 is what the S630 basically replaced. The S250 is basically now the S750 and the S330 I believe is closer to the S850 but not quite the same monster from what I can tell operating both. Travel speed is 2 tenths of a mph slower, you aren't going to notice that. Most of the S330's I've seen tend to be 2 speed but I suppose there are a few single speed machines out there. If they were both priced the same I'd take a S300 hands down over the S630 IF you need lift capacity. The only drawbacks to the S330 are the weight of the machine and the fact they have 14x17.5 tires which are more expensive to replace and MUCH harder to find a set of tracks for if you ever wanted to run steel tracks. The big plus to the S330 is what it will lift and the longer wheel base makes it ride better than the longer wheelbase makes it ride a bit nicer than the 630 would. What are your maximum lifting needs? What would you consider to be your primary need on the farm? From reading what you describe a S250 would work as would the S220 or S630.

Bobcatdan

You're comparing apples to oranges. A S330 is a 3300 lb rated operating capacity machine with vertical lift. The S630 is a 2180 R.O.C with radius lift. The 330 is a beast even though it's only shown to be 11 h.p more than the 630. If you lift seed pallets or the large seed bags on your farm I'd absolutely go with the S330. The S220 is what the S630 basically replaced. The S250 is basically now the S750 and the S330 I believe is closer to the S850 but not quite the same monster from what I can tell operating both. Travel speed is 2 tenths of a mph slower, you aren't going to notice that. Most of the S330's I've seen tend to be 2 speed but I suppose there are a few single speed machines out there. If they were both priced the same I'd take a S300 hands down over the S630 IF you need lift capacity. The only drawbacks to the S330 are the weight of the machine and the fact they have 14x17.5 tires which are more expensive to replace and MUCH harder to find a set of tracks for if you ever wanted to run steel tracks. The big plus to the S330 is what it will lift and the longer wheel base makes it ride better than the longer wheelbase makes it ride a bit nicer than the 630 would. What are your maximum lifting needs? What would you consider to be your primary need on the farm? From reading what you describe a S250 would work as would the S220 or S630.
What bobcatguy said is pretty much correct. The big difference is a 330 is the old K series vs a 630 is an M series. The cab on a K series is a Chevy, the M is a Cadillac if your looking at a full cab. GPM is basically the same, unless you are looking at a high flow then the 330 has about five more. Relief pressure is 3300 on a 330, 3500 on 630, big whoop. Both could run any attachment, except a tree spade, a 630 is a little too small to be serious. The arm design differs greatly. A 330 is vertical vs a 630 is radial. Both styles offer advantages. One thing to add, all 330 are 2 speed vs an option on a 630. I'd say it comes down how much you need to lift and if the reach at max height a vertical lift offers is important. Personally, I like radial lifts and would take a 630 over a 330 unless I truly needed a 330 capabilities. A 330 is replaced by the 770. The 850 is its own monster, more on the physical size of a 963. All that said, if the choice was a 330 vs a 770 with a interim tier 4 engine, I'd take a 330. The new engine is garbage.

OP
OP
S

StephenP

What bobcatguy said is pretty much correct. The big difference is a 330 is the old K series vs a 630 is an M series. The cab on a K series is a Chevy, the M is a Cadillac if your looking at a full cab. GPM is basically the same, unless you are looking at a high flow then the 330 has about five more. Relief pressure is 3300 on a 330, 3500 on 630, big whoop. Both could run any attachment, except a tree spade, a 630 is a little too small to be serious. The arm design differs greatly. A 330 is vertical vs a 630 is radial. Both styles offer advantages. One thing to add, all 330 are 2 speed vs an option on a 630. I'd say it comes down how much you need to lift and if the reach at max height a vertical lift offers is important. Personally, I like radial lifts and would take a 630 over a 330 unless I truly needed a 330 capabilities. A 330 is replaced by the 770. The 850 is its own monster, more on the physical size of a 963. All that said, if the choice was a 330 vs a 770 with a interim tier 4 engine, I'd take a 330. The new engine is garbage.
Good stuff guys. Yeah I thought both were radial. We are going to be doing a lot of digging more than lifting. Root cellar, below ground greenhouse 2 ponds to clean and a creek, so I am needing digging capabilities. I am wanting an enclosed cab as that is a requirement from my Mom. :) Wanting to stay under $25k and would for sure be wanting to do get some steel tracks. With that info what would you recommend. I am not scared of older models. Reliability and Performance in any year will do. I am not overly concerned with "Bells and Whistles" unless it adds to the reliability of the machine. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

StephenP

Good stuff guys. Yeah I thought both were radial. We are going to be doing a lot of digging more than lifting. Root cellar, below ground greenhouse 2 ponds to clean and a creek, so I am needing digging capabilities. I am wanting an enclosed cab as that is a requirement from my Mom. :) Wanting to stay under $25k and would for sure be wanting to do get some steel tracks. With that info what would you recommend. I am not scared of older models. Reliability and Performance in any year will do. I am not overly concerned with "Bells and Whistles" unless it adds to the reliability of the machine. Thanks!
Oh and we will be removing quite a few tree stumps. Nothing more than a 1'6" in diameter.

Bobcatdan

Oh and we will be removing quite a few tree stumps. Nothing more than a 1'6" in diameter.
I'd say a 630 would do what you want. $25,000 is a little tight, but doable for a used 630. Shop around and see what is out there, a S185 or 205 could probably work fine too.

bobcatguy

I'd look for a good S250 or S300 single speed and I'd take either one of those over the S630. The M series cab is nice but I don't need a drink holder and the cab door is a problem if you have standard forks. You can't open the cab door in the M series with a normal set of forks with a tall backing plate if you have the forks curled back. What I mean is you have to have the length of the fork flat on the ground or you're going to have a hard time exiting the machine. Another problem with the M series is if you live in a cold climate they don't defrost the door glass worth a hoot even with the optional defrost vents on the right side of the machine. The 630 isn't as capable at digging as the 250 and 300.

bobcatguy

I'd look for a good S250 or S300 single speed and I'd take either one of those over the S630. The M series cab is nice but I don't need a drink holder and the cab door is a problem if you have standard forks. You can't open the cab door in the M series with a normal set of forks with a tall backing plate if you have the forks curled back. What I mean is you have to have the length of the fork flat on the ground or you're going to have a hard time exiting the machine. Another problem with the M series is if you live in a cold climate they don't defrost the door glass worth a hoot even with the optional defrost vents on the right side of the machine. The 630 isn't as capable at digging as the 250 and 300.
For your application I wouldn't recommend a 185 or 205 when you say digging power is important.

bobcatguy

Rereading his post a little more, I'd go with a T190. I don't think he really needs a large frame.
With the higher average cost of maintenance for a track machine, I wouldn't recommend one to a customer looking to use one like they are proposing. While they don't sound like a high hour user; tracks, rollers, tensioners and sprockets will wear out and in their price range you'll have to buy a T190 with over 1000 hours be be around the 25K range in today's market. When you get over 1000 hours on the T190 it seems like you have to start being concerned with the drives too. Even running steel tracks (provided they are installed correctly) your maintenance cost will be less if you have to replace tires a little more frequently. Plus if the user would happen to want to move snow (desire for heated cab tells me cooler climate) I'd stick with a large frame rubber tire machine.

Bobcatdan

With the higher average cost of maintenance for a track machine, I wouldn't recommend one to a customer looking to use one like they are proposing. While they don't sound like a high hour user; tracks, rollers, tensioners and sprockets will wear out and in their price range you'll have to buy a T190 with over 1000 hours be be around the 25K range in today's market. When you get over 1000 hours on the T190 it seems like you have to start being concerned with the drives too. Even running steel tracks (provided they are installed correctly) your maintenance cost will be less if you have to replace tires a little more frequently. Plus if the user would happen to want to move snow (desire for heated cab tells me cooler climate) I'd stick with a large frame rubber tire machine.
While there is higher cost with a track machine, if the advantage of tracks fits the customer needs, then the cost is justifiable. The bobcat track system is pretty reliable. Driver motor failure is blown way out of proportion. The failure rate is rather lower. Track replacement is a big cost yes, but smart operators can get over 1500 hours out of tracks. Sprockets can easily last two sets if rotated. Rollers and idlers are long life and only ones that fail need to be replaced. Unlike a ASV, the track system doesn't have to be completly rebuilt at a set time. Running in a lot of sand will excelerate wear so if the OP is in sandy conditions, that is something to think about. If he plans on messing around in pond and creek beds, the flotation of tracks would be handy. Also the pushing advantage of track over wheel often means you can do more with a smaller track unit over a larger wheel unit. Personally, I think track machines are oversold and a lot of guys buy them who don't need them, but when the job fits, tracks are best.