Bobcat S330 best method to access fuel sensor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tractorguy87

I have a Bobcat S330 that I brought about a year ago. Machine runs great. Recently it started leaking hydraulic fluid, about a pint if sitting for a week in the shop. I have removed all the side panels and do not see any active leaks and it is dry/clean in the area under the cab back to the pump. Using a fiber endoscope attached to my tablet attached to a stiff rod to guide it, I can see that it looks wet between the engine and the main pump but I cannot specifically see the leak. . There is a lot of dirt oil crud in this area. I need to get into this area to clean it, fix leak and install/ trouble shoot fuel level level sensor. Can anyone give me some advice as to how to access this area? Is it remove the radiator fan, or maybe remove the 3 radiators over the engine and access by leaning over the engine or maybe remove the air filter and intake tubing and reach in that way (not much room and seems my arm will not be long enough). Just looking for most easy/effective method that allows me to clean area by scraping it out, power washing, fix leak and change fuel level sensor. Thank you for any advice you could give me.

brdgbldr

The best way to access between the engine and pump is through the access panels behind the lift cylinders.

You will hopefully be able to access the fuel level sending unit through the same access panels. I just replaced mine in my A300 this way. You will be shoulder deep to reach it and have to do it blind unless you have a helper to guide you through from the opposite access panel. Some machines you can access it by removing the muffler and reaching over the engine.

OP
OP
T

Tractorguy87

The best way to access between the engine and pump is through the access panels behind the lift cylinders.

You will hopefully be able to access the fuel level sending unit through the same access panels. I just replaced mine in my A300 this way. You will be shoulder deep to reach it and have to do it blind unless you have a helper to guide you through from the opposite access panel. Some machines you can access it by removing the muffler and reaching over the engine.
Thank you for your reply, I did not look into that. Went out and took the panel off and I can see the fuel sensor from the left side. Pretty tight and my arms don't even come close to reaching it... but I do see the duct-tube from the turbo to the filter. still looks like a long reach for me. To me it is looking more and more I will have to bite the bullet and take the cooling fan out so I can crawl in there and reach down over the pump. Of course I still will need to clean it out and look for leak. I am thinking a dye/ light method if it is not obvious after clean up.

Access from right side is even farther away and much more obstructed by hoses.

Question: if I take the fan (hydraulic operated) out in the shop and cap the lines to it, can I then drive it 20-30 ft outside to power wash degrease it in that pump engine area?

brdgbldr

I'm not sure if you can run without that hydraulic fan hooked up or not. There may be a sensor that would prevent it.

Take a look at the parts catalog schematic for your serial number before trying to remove the fan:

On my machine the only real good way of getting the fan off was to remove the radiator and oil cooler. Lots of work.

When I did my fuel sensor I took the air filter housing out to give me more room. The sensor looks further in than it actually is. I was able to reach the wiring to disconnect it and then, since some one had failed to get the sensor out before me and bunged up the plastic so I couldn't get a socket over it, I had to use a wide mouth vise grip to loosen it. I think the socket size should be 1-5/8" but check with your replacement sensor.

Also on my machine the sensor is actually under part of the pump. Still doable though.

I'll try to find the post I wrote about how I did it and put a link up.

brdgbldr

Here is the link to the post I wrote.

Latest posts