What is a "long link socket"?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ryork

My manual tells me I need a "long link socket" to tighten or remove a screw holding the port block to the vane pump. I have two bottoms and two tops and a side box full of tools, but I don't think I know what a "long link socket" is. Would it be a "U" shaped socket with long sides?
I felt down in the hole (full of hydraulic oil) and all I could feel was like a 5/16th bar laying crossways.
Thanks,

Tazza

Staff member
If you have a manual it may show up as a special bobcat tool. From what you describe if you got an old socket and cut a slot in the end, could that work as a "long link socket"?

jerry

If you have a manual it may show up as a special bobcat tool. From what you describe if you got an old socket and cut a slot in the end, could that work as a "long link socket"?
Look back to page 5 of this forum heading and I have note on there about how I made a tool to take the port block off. Hope this will help you out. jerry

OP
OP
R

ryork

Look back to page 5 of this forum heading and I have note on there about how I made a tool to take the port block off. Hope this will help you out. jerry
Thanks Jerry, I read your post and it makes sense to me. Basically what I need is a hollow 3/4 inch rod with a cross bar about an inch up. The rod slips over the screw and the cross bar mates up with the slot in the screw to tighten or loosen the screw.
Thank for the info..

OP
OP
R

ryork

Thanks Tazza for the reply. I think Jerry covered it below.

OP
OP
R

ryork

Thanks Tazza for the reply. I think Jerry covered it below.
Jerry it worked great.. I took an old railroad trestle spike, cut the screw threads off of it, drilled the hole and put the cross bar in it. It already had a 15/16 bolt head on it. I now have a new tool in my box.
thanks

jerry

Jerry it worked great.. I took an old railroad trestle spike, cut the screw threads off of it, drilled the hole and put the cross bar in it. It already had a 15/16 bolt head on it. I now have a new tool in my box.
thanks
Glad to be of any help. railroad parts are sometimes handy to have around I could use a couple of nice rails now to build a little bridge.

Latest posts