What holds the lapbar up on a 743?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Markle

doesn't look like mine "spring under" the bar. they're just sliding against the side of the bar. maybe they're not installed right?. here's the picture with the bar up.View attachment 6538
This is my arrangement. The attachment pieces are like a bolt that screws into another bolt, with no actual adjustment. Spring tension is supposed to be enough to hold bar up. Like others have said, do not lube it, and I too had to take bar out twice and weld more metal onto the bar where it meets the triangular thingy plate. The bar wears more than the plate. Each time it worked.

Chessie

I've had the replacement springs for several weeks now, and I finally made some time to replace them. Now, I'm not going to tell you that I didn't bust a knuckle (darn those nuts were tight!) and I'm not going to tell you that I didn't put it back together wrong a time or two... (there is a piece of metal that is cut in the shape of a number 1, and it needs to have the top angle against the outside U-channel frame)

But once I got the old springs out, they were significantly compressed (1/4"? so 3/4" (old) vs 1" (new)). I used Fast orange and a rag to clean off all of the old residue and grime from all pieces that rub together and put it back together... now when I press the bar up toward the ceiling/gauges...

SNAP, it locks into place.

Thanks all ... for everyone considering this... it's well worth $7 and 20 or 30 minutes.

Chessie

I'm not sure how they come off. there's an inside bolt head and an outside bolt head. the inside one is trapped inside the metal frame so it couldn't come out. so do you take the outside bolt out and then the whView attachment 6531ole little contraption with the spring and plate and bar come out?View attachment 6532
Yes, the outside bolt comes off first. (Shown clearly in the second picture that you posted.) Then the interior arrangement can come out of the "U" channel. The inside nut (3/4" wrench) has a threaded hole that accepts the first (outside) nut. You hold the 3/4" wrench on the "barrel" (around which is the spring) and loosen the other nut. (The first one and this other one are 9/16ths sockets.) Once you loosen it up, you can take it all apart. Clean up all the parts that touch each other with some solvent (diesel, fast orange, whatever). Then reassemble:

It goes: (from inside towards the outside)

1) bolt
2) round metal with a bend on it.. creates a "cam" or pressure
3) Bar/arm
4) number "1" shaped piece of metal. Pay attention to where the round-metal with a bend on it goes around/over the lap bar and ends on the "number 1" piece of metal. Pay attention to how this #1 sits inside the U channel before you took it apart... or review the other one which is still together in the original configuration (you didn't take both apart at the same times, did you???) See, this piece of metal that resembles a number "1" doesn't move when the lap bar is raised/lowered. It stays in place, against the inside (bottom?) of the U channel. As the lap bar moves up and down, it can find a "open area" in the metal and lock in place in the up position.
5) spring on the barrel.

Tighten the interior nut (you can't get to it when it's back in place in the U-channel, except maybe with an open-end wrench.. but you tighten it before it goes back in place).

Then, fight this arrangement back in place in the U channel and you replace/thread in the outside bolt.

Easy? Perhaps not! But you'll get it.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I've had the replacement springs for several weeks now, and I finally made some time to replace them. Now, I'm not going to tell you that I didn't bust a knuckle (darn those nuts were tight!) and I'm not going to tell you that I didn't put it back together wrong a time or two... (there is a piece of metal that is cut in the shape of a number 1, and it needs to have the top angle against the outside U-channel frame)

But once I got the old springs out, they were significantly compressed (1/4"? so 3/4" (old) vs 1" (new)). I used Fast orange and a rag to clean off all of the old residue and grime from all pieces that rub together and put it back together... now when I press the bar up toward the ceiling/gauges...

SNAP, it locks into place.

Thanks all ... for everyone considering this... it's well worth $7 and 20 or 30 minutes.
So what are you going to do with the bungee cord?

Latest posts