awfully loud grinding sound on start-up

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Barleyboy

I have an Ls150 NH and since I bought it it's always had a slight grinding coming from under me when I start. Today it got really loud. after it starts the sound mostly goes away. is it possibly something to do with the chaincase? It also has a crazy pull to the right that got worse after I did some driving on my bumpy logging road. thats just getting it up on blocks and equalizing right? there is also blue and black smoke on start up. goes away after 15 seconds. is that normal for deisel skid-steers? really want to get to the bottom before I put a bunch of hours on it this spring. any help appreciated. thanks a mill!

Tazza

Staff member
Smoke, the blue is generally engine oil, watch your oil consumption. If it starts well and runs nice, don't be too concerned.

The grinding, could it be your neutral adjustment? does your machine creep when you aren't holding the steering levers? if so, the brake is likely on at startup, so your drive fights against it, causing the hydrostats to make a horrible noise.

OP
OP
Barleyboy

Barleyboy

that is very possible! when I bought it it had a slight pull to the right when in neutral but a week ago I was on the logging road hauling wood and the creep is ridiculous now. if I just let go of my joysticks go it'll do a 360 quite fast. I feel that you may be onto something because as soon as I turn the key grinding starts but then it stops after the engine has stopped struggling. if this is the case is it possible this could do serious damage? I almost don't want to start it to get it out of the shed so I may drag it out and jack it up. I'm assuming I need to get it off the wheels and do the neutralizing process?

OP
OP
Barleyboy

Barleyboy

Also is this looseness in the left control linkage normal? Seems loose.

Tazza

Staff member
I'd lean towards it being your neutral adjustment. I am not sure if it causes damage, it's not ideal, i don't know if you can unlock the brake before starting or not to confirm if it's right.

Adjusting it is still a good idea, make it stop creeping.

oiu789

Check all your hyd filters and strainers, cut them open. Could be plugging up causing pump cavitation low flow to the left side.

OP
OP
Barleyboy

Barleyboy

@oiu789 Interesting, but shouldn't I try and neutralize the joysticks, and then if it's still a problem I could then go to the filters?

OP
OP
Barleyboy

Barleyboy

I'd lean towards it being your neutral adjustment. I am not sure if it causes damage, it's not ideal, i don't know if you can unlock the brake before starting or not to confirm if it's right.

Adjusting it is still a good idea, make it stop creeping.
Yes I can take the parking brake off before starting its that's what you mean. Definitely need to stop it from "creeping" if you can call it that haha. Feels like I'm turning even though I'm not.

Latest posts