What holds the lapbar up on a 743?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wings5j

Malcolm,

The lap bar is held up mechanically. Hopefully you can locate the parts needed.

In my case, all I needed were the springs and the rest I built back up with my welder.

The current springs are built heavier and quite an upgrade from the original ones. They were not too expensive either but, of course, it has been several years ago that I fixed mine.

John

OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

Malcolm,

The lap bar is held up mechanically. Hopefully you can locate the parts needed.

In my case, all I needed were the springs and the rest I built back up with my welder.

The current springs are built heavier and quite an upgrade from the original ones. They were not too expensive either but, of course, it has been several years ago that I fixed mine.

John
Thanks John, I have some springs on order. Hopefully it takes care of the issue. I will report back when they arrive as to how it goes.

Malcolm

Plow Jockey

Mine has some sort of garage organizer hook from HomeDepot screwed into the roof of the cab. It's horrible and hack, and doesn't even work well.
There is a spring loaded curved steel plate at the lower end of lap bar on either side to hold the bar up. Tighten the bolt on spring so the plate creates enough friction to hold bar up. These plates can get warn thin and need to be replaced so you can put enough force on bar.

Scott Cee

There is a spring loaded curved steel plate at the lower end of lap bar on either side to hold the bar up. Tighten the bolt on spring so the plate creates enough friction to hold bar up. These plates can get warn thin and need to be replaced so you can put enough force on bar.
My plates and the bar itself are badly worn. I'll have to build the bar back up with the welder. It looks like the plates aren't too expensive.

marko13

I'm not sure how they come off. there's an inside bolt head and an outside bolt head. the inside one is trapped inside the metal frame so it couldn't come out. so do you take the outside bolt out and then the wh
20240412_100429.jpg
ole little contraption with the spring and plate and bar come out?
20240412_100418.jpg

Plow Jockey

When the bar is up those plates "spring" under the bar to prevent it from coming down. The bar is pretty heavy so the springs have to be tight to have enough pressure to keep the bar up

marko13

doesn't look like mine "spring under" the bar. they're just sliding against the side of the bar. maybe they're not installed right?. here's the picture with the bar up.
20240413_100754.jpg

marko13

It looks like the plate is thick enough. Did you tighten the bolt on spring and see if the bar stays up?
well which bolt should be tightenable the inside one or the outside one? both seem to be super tight already I can put a cheater bar on my 14 mm wrench but feels like it's just going to strip the bolt head

OP
OP
MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8

just wondering if you got the springs and if they helped
Yes they came in. I haven't had a chance to install them yet. Fixing a whole host of issues on it. As soon as I do I'll report back with pics and an update.

Plow Jockey

Did you put some penetrating oil in the bolt running through the spring? I would try to break loose that bolt. I think it tightens the spring clockwise but first break it loose by trying to back it off and then lube it. Then draw it up on the spring. Do it on both sides! Let me know how it goes.

Latest posts