Trailer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LIMaint

With dump trailers becoming more popular, I was wondering if anyone has used them as equipment trailers for transporting their skidsteers? I think it is the better way to go, basically getting two trailers in one. I could use it to transport topsoil/mulch and to transport a skidsteer at other times. Any advice?

Tazza

Staff member
Thats what 99% of contractors do over here.
They fit a skid steer and a mini excavator in the tray. This way they can remove dirt easily, just load up and take it away.

CottageMaker

Thats what 99% of contractors do over here.
They fit a skid steer and a mini excavator in the tray. This way they can remove dirt easily, just load up and take it away.
We are thinking of getting a Dump trailer for our primary skidder trailer. From the multi task route it seems to be a great idea. The one issue that has been brought up is that with the trailers higher and smooth interior they may be more of a challenge to load the skid steer, especially in the winter. Has anyone found this to be true, or is it really a non-issue? Thanks Tim

siduramaxde

We are thinking of getting a Dump trailer for our primary skidder trailer. From the multi task route it seems to be a great idea. The one issue that has been brought up is that with the trailers higher and smooth interior they may be more of a challenge to load the skid steer, especially in the winter. Has anyone found this to be true, or is it really a non-issue? Thanks Tim
I had a 14' dump trailer (14k #'s) and I hated the way the ramp system worked. It took about 10 minutes to get the ramps set up. I had to drop the tailgate and then hang the gate at the correct angle with chains. Then I had to put on little ramps from the gate to the ground. It was a pain in the backside to load equipment in. I would say if you are only going to load equipment in it occasionally then go for it. If you load and unload alot (like I do) then get a dump truck and a skidsteer trailer.

skidsteer.ca

I had a 14' dump trailer (14k #'s) and I hated the way the ramp system worked. It took about 10 minutes to get the ramps set up. I had to drop the tailgate and then hang the gate at the correct angle with chains. Then I had to put on little ramps from the gate to the ground. It was a pain in the backside to load equipment in. I would say if you are only going to load equipment in it occasionally then go for it. If you load and unload alot (like I do) then get a dump truck and a skidsteer trailer.
I have also head people say it can be a bear to chain equipment down when the walls get in the way.
If buying one though, I too would thing the ramp design would be important , Be sure thats not a after thought.
ken

wendirt

I bought a dump trailer before buying my skid steer. Thinking that a dump trailer would be the best way to tsp my Bobcat. The trailer I bought had a low profile to keep the deck low (easier loading). This is good for loading and unloading however, not the best to dump. Topsoil has got to be one of the most difficult loads to dump and you must have a steep angle to do so. A trailer built higher would be best for that. The ramp issue can be a muscle builder. Even though you may think that once or twice a day isn't that bad, it is time consuming. I am currently in the process of ordering a trailer just for my machine and attachments. It will have spring assisted ramps that fold up. I have not found a trailer that is good at dumping and also a good equipment trailer. Also, most attachments are too wide to fit into the dump trailer such as a tiller, soil conditioner, snow blade ect...

sar4937

I bought a dump trailer before buying my skid steer. Thinking that a dump trailer would be the best way to tsp my Bobcat. The trailer I bought had a low profile to keep the deck low (easier loading). This is good for loading and unloading however, not the best to dump. Topsoil has got to be one of the most difficult loads to dump and you must have a steep angle to do so. A trailer built higher would be best for that. The ramp issue can be a muscle builder. Even though you may think that once or twice a day isn't that bad, it is time consuming. I am currently in the process of ordering a trailer just for my machine and attachments. It will have spring assisted ramps that fold up. I have not found a trailer that is good at dumping and also a good equipment trailer. Also, most attachments are too wide to fit into the dump trailer such as a tiller, soil conditioner, snow blade ect...
I sort of had the opposite problem, I bought an E-Z loader trailer 12,000 gvw. It works great as a dump trailer as long as someone is in the cab and on the truck brakes. As the bed reaches full height the weight shift will lift the rear of your truck enough to cause it to begin sliding even on the slightest grade. My trailer bed is about 32 inches off the ground. The bed floor is a thin skin over crossmembers and smooth. For dumping you need the factory tailgate since it hinges at the top (at the bottom also). The one time that I loaded my S185 I backed the trailer up to a hill to drive in and out. Ramps would need to be heavy-duty and probably aluminum because their length. Anyway the load was dangerously top heavy and the trip taken very slowly. These E-Z loader trailer are about 8 ft wide and the sides all come off to make a flatbed if needed. It is quite easy to overload this trailer as it will hold alot of dirt, and does not look overloaded. I always worry about getting scaled by the DOT.