New (used) skid steer broke before I even it off of the trailer!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cchardwick

So I just picked up a 'Raider XL' mini skid steer and even test drove it around before I bought it. I loaded it up on my trailer and as soon as I got it home I fired it up and the drive train completely went dead. Apparently there is some kind of a flexible 'plate' between the engine and hydraulic pump and the bolts holding it in place were all loose. One bolt came out, then the aluminum part on the hydraulic pump side broke and the plate was all torn up. Any idea what this flexible plate is called and where I can get a new one for this machine? I'm pretty sure I can bring the broken aluminum part to a welding shop and get it fixed. Here are some photos: http://www.capsandstems.com/skidsteer-1.JPG http://www.capsandstems.com/skidsteer-2.JPG http://www.capsandstems.com/skidsteer-3.JPG

Tazza

Staff member
That is something i have never seen before. I'd talk to someone to weld it back up, the only other option would involve a lot of work to modify it to make either a universal joint or flex joint to fit the pump and motor.

Hotrod1830

That is the last place I would expect to see one of those style joints. More commonly referred to as a "rag joint". not a very strong joint. Looks to have been welded before and almost looks to be fabricated. Double check to see if it is the original design. My guess is someone fixed it in a pinch and did some" backwoods engineering".
I would expect to see a chain coupler or double U-joint coupler there. Chain couplers are sized by shaft size and spline count.
If you have any problems, post up your shaft sizes and spline counts on both shafts and maybe we can help you look for something, but it would be helpful to know what was there originally.

mark18mwm

It looks home made judging by the welds. I think if you can't find a new one, I would find a new splined hub and make a whole new plate to weld the hub on. Cut a circle the diameter of the outside of what you have. Measure the distance from the center to the bolt holes and drill 3 new holes in the plate. then center the new splined hub and weld it on. A friend with a lathe would be a big help centering and welding things straight would be a big help. I would think any machine shop that does jobber work could make that fairly cheap if you don't know anybody with a lathe. The reason I say steel is just because it's cheaper and easier to weld the hub on. I wouldn't worry about using steel being to strong that something else might break, that is the purpose of the rag joint, to break before anything else does. The broke part you have looks like a very poorly made home built piece anyway. looks like they did essentially the same thing, welded a hub to a plate but instead of drilling holes in the plate they welded the pipes or bushings (or what ever you want to call them 3 things) to the outside of the plate. I think the hub could be purchased at a farm supply or hydraulic parts store. If not i think any machine shop could get one for you. My guess is if you hire a shop to make one it would be over $100 but less then $200, but you might want to get a estimate first.