what size skid steer can move brakeless flatbed semi trailer down slight incline?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rmcgehee

I am going to make a bridge over my creek with a semi flatbed trailer. My scheme is to back off trailer brakes at slack adjuster and gently guide the trailer 75 yards through a wide path in the forest down to the creek. The change in elevation is approximately 20 ft over that 75 yards. So my question is: as the trailer starts down the incline, the skidsteer's job is to steer and to act as a brake--so what size skidsteer can control it? I believe the 48' flatbed probably weighs 12K but I could be way off on that. I understand it's possible to rig up an air tank to the air lines but I dont know anything about gladhand connectors and airtanks, etc, and this is just a one-time move. Just want to maneuver the trailer down to the creek and then call the crane man. Thanks!

flyerdan

If you still have the landing gear, you can always drop the boom and use them as an anchor if it starts wanting to go too fast. Without air, you'll have to cage the brakes, I suppose you could leave a little tension on them so they will drag a bit. That would make it a bit harder to push on level ground but will keep it from wanting to run away.
As for what size SS you'd need, that would depend on how much weight needed to be lifted to get the nose up. If you have sliding axles on the trailer, moving them as far forward as possible will of course reduce the amount of lifting force needed.
If this is your first time attempting something like this, might I suggest reading a few threads on Tractor By Net from people that have done it; might avoid some problems from those that have btdt.

OP
OP
R

rmcgehee

If you still have the landing gear, you can always drop the boom and use them as an anchor if it starts wanting to go too fast. Without air, you'll have to cage the brakes, I suppose you could leave a little tension on them so they will drag a bit. That would make it a bit harder to push on level ground but will keep it from wanting to run away.
As for what size SS you'd need, that would depend on how much weight needed to be lifted to get the nose up. If you have sliding axles on the trailer, moving them as far forward as possible will of course reduce the amount of lifting force needed.
If this is your first time attempting something like this, might I suggest reading a few threads on Tractor By Net from people that have done it; might avoid some problems from those that have btdt.
Yes these are good ideas: keep landing gear 1 inch off ground, ready to dump, and also leaving some tension on brakes, very good. Yes, moving the trailer wheels forward will solve any tongue weight issue, but I was more thinking of the just what amount of mass of SS would prevent the trailer from dragging the SS. I also suppose a tracked SS would offer more sliding resistance than a wheeled SS. Another concern is that by lifting the bucket high enough to chain the kingpin to it is going to make the SS top heavy...I know there are adaptors for this, but I doubt they're available for rent, but I could be wrong. So after your ideas, flyerdan, I'm now more worried about the trailer pulling the SS over onto its face (with me in it) than worried about the trailer pulling the SS down the hill upright...

flyerdan

Yes these are good ideas: keep landing gear 1 inch off ground, ready to dump, and also leaving some tension on brakes, very good. Yes, moving the trailer wheels forward will solve any tongue weight issue, but I was more thinking of the just what amount of mass of SS would prevent the trailer from dragging the SS. I also suppose a tracked SS would offer more sliding resistance than a wheeled SS. Another concern is that by lifting the bucket high enough to chain the kingpin to it is going to make the SS top heavy...I know there are adaptors for this, but I doubt they're available for rent, but I could be wrong. So after your ideas, flyerdan, I'm now more worried about the trailer pulling the SS over onto its face (with me in it) than worried about the trailer pulling the SS down the hill upright...
If you drop the bucket and get a set of forks, you can slide them together so the kingpin just fits between them and you won't have to chain to it, so if it goes rouge it won't take you with it. I still contend that once the landing gear touches down it will anchor it, but at least this way if it slides all the way off the fork tips it'll leave you upright.
I don't know the formula for finding the ideal weight of a ss to do this, you'd need accurate weights and grade angle, as well as road surface for traction coefficient. However, I do know that if you try and yard a dead skiddy any distance, even a medium one like a 753, if all you have is a 12k winch you'd better have a snatch block as well, or you'll risk breaking a line.

OP
OP
R

rmcgehee

If you drop the bucket and get a set of forks, you can slide them together so the kingpin just fits between them and you won't have to chain to it, so if it goes rouge it won't take you with it. I still contend that once the landing gear touches down it will anchor it, but at least this way if it slides all the way off the fork tips it'll leave you upright.
I don't know the formula for finding the ideal weight of a ss to do this, you'd need accurate weights and grade angle, as well as road surface for traction coefficient. However, I do know that if you try and yard a dead skiddy any distance, even a medium one like a 753, if all you have is a 12k winch you'd better have a snatch block as well, or you'll risk breaking a line.
Well I'm pretty ignorant about all this. Wasn't aware that you could even slide forks together...but if you're going downhill, it seems like the kingpin would not be able to stay between them. Unless I left so much friction on the brakes that I would essentially be PUSHING the trailer downhill, which might not be such a bad idea. Hahaha you lost me on the "yard a dead skiddy" and "snatch block". I don't have a winch, but maybe I should buy one and use it to drag the trailer (with it's brakes mostly still engaged) down the hill--that might be cheaper than renting the ss, and then I'd have a winch to attach to the UTV i'm going to get once I have a bridge to go over!

flyerdan

Well I'm pretty ignorant about all this. Wasn't aware that you could even slide forks together...but if you're going downhill, it seems like the kingpin would not be able to stay between them. Unless I left so much friction on the brakes that I would essentially be PUSHING the trailer downhill, which might not be such a bad idea. Hahaha you lost me on the "yard a dead skiddy" and "snatch block". I don't have a winch, but maybe I should buy one and use it to drag the trailer (with it's brakes mostly still engaged) down the hill--that might be cheaper than renting the ss, and then I'd have a winch to attach to the UTV i'm going to get once I have a bridge to go over!
Rather than renting a skidsteer to position it and then a crane to place it, it might be cheaper and more convenient to find a tow company that deals with big rigs and has a rotator. That is a wrecker with a crane on it, they can back the flatbed right down to the creek edge and then sling it over with the boom and drop it in place. Just have your footings ready, and the axles and landing gear mostly ready to come off so it minimizes their time on site, and thus your costs.

gearbox

Rather than renting a skidsteer to position it and then a crane to place it, it might be cheaper and more convenient to find a tow company that deals with big rigs and has a rotator. That is a wrecker with a crane on it, they can back the flatbed right down to the creek edge and then sling it over with the boom and drop it in place. Just have your footings ready, and the axles and landing gear mostly ready to come off so it minimizes their time on site, and thus your costs.
even at 5000 pounds on the pin that's a big lift for a skid steer

Latest posts