Tilt Trailer or Trailer with ramps?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JeffBob

I am new to the Bobcat club, bought a S-160 for farm work and work for friends. Every dealer will suggest a 14k trailer that tilts with a deck height of 22-26 inches. I kinda like the non-tilting type with ramps because the load is lower (18-19 inches above the road) and weight is 400 to 500 lbs less. Plus the machine weighs 6000 lbs so even a 10k rated trailer with 15" tires (Load D) and they are 2" smaller in diameter compared to 16" tires. Costco even sells some Load E tires in 15" size that would add 1300 lbs additional safety capacity. For the 3 or 4 times I will move dirt, I can rent a dumping trailer. I am pulling it with a 3/4T Dodge diesel. And resale isn't a concern since the trailers are kinda cheap. So here is my question: Tilt or Ramps? Thanks in advance. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last year and a half. JeffBob

Bobcatdan

Really personal choice, which ever you like better. On thing with all the tilts I ever used, the axles seemed farther forward then a standard trailer which I sometimes found a little harder balance loads out. 14K is overkill for a S160. A 10K would be fine, but if you are going to get any attachments that will be hauled along, I'd maybe look at longer deck 12K.

reaperman

I'd go with a ramp trailer also. I rarely see a bobcat being pulled on a tilt trailer ever and personally don't see what the benefit would be. I think a 10k trailer is plenty big, but I would make sure and get nothing shorter than 16 feet. In case you ever have to haul a car.

Ryan123

I'd go with a ramp trailer also. I rarely see a bobcat being pulled on a tilt trailer ever and personally don't see what the benefit would be. I think a 10k trailer is plenty big, but I would make sure and get nothing shorter than 16 feet. In case you ever have to haul a car.
In my opinion i would go with the ramps cause the tilts you cant haul you attachments near as easy and yes you will accumulate attachments i bought a bobcat when i was building my first house 13 years ago cause i couldnt get anyone to spread some rock and now iam in full time and do it for a living. so i would suggest the fold down ramps with steal feet under them I didnt have the feet on my trailer and my s185 bent the dove tail one the thing just my experiance

usa#1

Tilt deck for me. I previously used a trailer with folding ramps. Hated the folding ramps. Always worried that I would drive off them when backing on the trailer. My tilt deck is a 14k 22ft equipment/car hauler. I use it for everything. When I need to take several attachments, I just set them in truck bed (8 x 12 flat bed dump tk) and put the 4 in 1 on the machine. I have a S-150. It's really personal preference but for me the tilt deck is the ticket.

Mikefromcny

Tilt deck for me. I previously used a trailer with folding ramps. Hated the folding ramps. Always worried that I would drive off them when backing on the trailer. My tilt deck is a 14k 22ft equipment/car hauler. I use it for everything. When I need to take several attachments, I just set them in truck bed (8 x 12 flat bed dump tk) and put the 4 in 1 on the machine. I have a S-150. It's really personal preference but for me the tilt deck is the ticket.
Tilt trailer all the way. I have a cam superline 18' 10k. Fender equipment tilt trailers are fairly low...atleast the cam's are. My deck is maybe a foot off the ground. I work at an equipment dealer. I hate loading machines on customers junky ramp trailers. The ramps are always bent and mangled. Track machines are even worse. I wouldnt buy anything under 18' as a fullsize pickup barely fits on mine. Tilt trailers are great for moving dead items as well, much easier to winch something up. Heck I even pushed my big snapon toolbox on mine when I switched jobs. As far as laws go in NY, any trailer over 10k is automatic CDL territory.

Ryan123

Tilt trailer all the way. I have a cam superline 18' 10k. Fender equipment tilt trailers are fairly low...atleast the cam's are. My deck is maybe a foot off the ground. I work at an equipment dealer. I hate loading machines on customers junky ramp trailers. The ramps are always bent and mangled. Track machines are even worse. I wouldnt buy anything under 18' as a fullsize pickup barely fits on mine. Tilt trailers are great for moving dead items as well, much easier to winch something up. Heck I even pushed my big snapon toolbox on mine when I switched jobs. As far as laws go in NY, any trailer over 10k is automatic CDL territory.
I pull mine with a single axle dump truck but today, i saw a nice looking tilt trailer with a platform on the front that would hold a couple attachments, i guess i never paid much attention to them to just look up and see one a day after commenting on them, and i have mangled my ramps up pretty bad so maybe someday ill check into one of them with the platform it would be less work loading one thats forsure

1ofU

I pull mine with a single axle dump truck but today, i saw a nice looking tilt trailer with a platform on the front that would hold a couple attachments, i guess i never paid much attention to them to just look up and see one a day after commenting on them, and i have mangled my ramps up pretty bad so maybe someday ill check into one of them with the platform it would be less work loading one thats forsure
never had a tilt , maybe someday i would like to try one , but i have several trailers , what ever you go with go with the 14 K , there is so many times i was thankful i had a bigger trailer than what i needed ,the prices are in the same range most of the time a idea trailers
16 with a 2 ft tail or 18 with a 2 ft tail
1of U

jerry

never had a tilt , maybe someday i would like to try one , but i have several trailers , what ever you go with go with the 14 K , there is so many times i was thankful i had a bigger trailer than what i needed ,the prices are in the same range most of the time a idea trailers
16 with a 2 ft tail or 18 with a 2 ft tail
1of U
I believe Minnesota is also cdl required for over 10,000. Local bobcat dealer uses a tilt bed so they cant be all that bad.

Tigerhaze

I believe Minnesota is also cdl required for over 10,000. Local bobcat dealer uses a tilt bed so they cant be all that bad.
Just for clarity on the CDL comments needed for trailers over 10K pounds, doesn't that usually require that GCWR to be over 26K pounds? I believe that is true at least Federally, but appears that is not the case in some of these states. It just seems that is usurping Federal requirements for interstate transport that would foul up out of state drivers traveling through those states.

Mikefromcny

Just for clarity on the CDL comments needed for trailers over 10K pounds, doesn't that usually require that GCWR to be over 26K pounds? I believe that is true at least Federally, but appears that is not the case in some of these states. It just seems that is usurping Federal requirements for interstate transport that would foul up out of state drivers traveling through those states.
In response to Tigerhaze: In, NY Any trailer that grosses over 10K needs a restricted CDL A license, the same license as you would need for a tractor trailer minus air brakes. I was told this by the DMV brownie as I was taking my road test for my CDL B. You could be towing an empty 14K equipment trailer and still not be legal without the restricted "A". Now trailers on the other hand will carry more weight then what the tag says. I hauled my 883 on my 10K weighing close to 9K lbs and my trailer weighs a lot more then 1000lbs. The best answer for me is a 20K gooseneck, tandem axle duals. They're heavy and expensive but will safely haul anything I need to weight wise. Its overkill for a skid steer but needed for the backhoe or excavator.

Mikefromcny

In response to Tigerhaze: In, NY Any trailer that grosses over 10K needs a restricted CDL A license, the same license as you would need for a tractor trailer minus air brakes. I was told this by the DMV brownie as I was taking my road test for my CDL B. You could be towing an empty 14K equipment trailer and still not be legal without the restricted "A". Now trailers on the other hand will carry more weight then what the tag says. I hauled my 883 on my 10K weighing close to 9K lbs and my trailer weighs a lot more then 1000lbs. The best answer for me is a 20K gooseneck, tandem axle duals. They're heavy and expensive but will safely haul anything I need to weight wise. Its overkill for a skid steer but needed for the backhoe or excavator.
The 26K GCWR is more geared towards a straight truck, as once your towing a trailer over 10K GVWR, your already not legal. My old hauling setup was a 84' Chevy C-70 rollback truck. It weighed 12K, My old 873 weight 7300lbs putting me up to 19,300lbs. I was legal but was hard to get the truck inspected and it wouldn't get out of its own way. Wish I still had it for moving dead things though. Don't miss the $100 a month insurance for it and registering it as a flatbed and not a tow truck. DOT could of had a ball with me if I had gotten stopped. photo P4150008_zpsaf2f6607.jpg

Tigerhaze

The 26K GCWR is more geared towards a straight truck, as once your towing a trailer over 10K GVWR, your already not legal. My old hauling setup was a 84' Chevy C-70 rollback truck. It weighed 12K, My old 873 weight 7300lbs putting me up to 19,300lbs. I was legal but was hard to get the truck inspected and it wouldn't get out of its own way. Wish I still had it for moving dead things though. Don't miss the $100 a month insurance for it and registering it as a flatbed and not a tow truck. DOT could of had a ball with me if I had gotten stopped.
It's interesting that NYS has taken that view, as that would not be true in many states following the FMCSA. From the FMCSA:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pursuant to Federal standards, States issue CDLs and CLPs to drivers according to the following license classifications:
Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.
Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My state (MO) follows this scheme for interstate commerce but actually is even less restrictive intrastate for certain categories- for instance if a vehicle is MO farm-tagged, I believe the limit is 36,000 pounds before a CDL is required.

Tigerhaze

It's interesting that NYS has taken that view, as that would not be true in many states following the FMCSA. From the FMCSA:
Pursuant to Federal standards, States issue CDLs and CLPs to drivers according to the following license classifications:
Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.
Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My state (MO) follows this scheme for interstate commerce but actually is even less restrictive intrastate for certain categories- for instance if a vehicle is MO farm-tagged, I believe the limit is 36,000 pounds before a CDL is required.
I was a little off on the MO intrastate exemptions- in MO if hauling with a GVWR or GCWR greater than 26,000 pounds you need a CDL unless hauling as a farm vehicle intrastate within 150 air miles of the farm in which case no CDL is required regardless of weight. The 36,000 exemption I incorrectly listed is actually 42,000 pounds when farm tagged but exempts from other requirements of the FMCSA such as medical cert, logbook, etc.
The point of my post is in MO I can haul intrastate with a 16,000 pound gooseneck trailer and an older 1 ton truck (less than 10,000 GVWR) and still be exempt from not only the CDL but the FMCSA regs as long as for personal use or under a farm tag.

usa#1

I went through this exercise when I purchased my trailer. I called my state DMV to see what the requirements were. DMV person told me to look on the back of my drivers license. ( mine is class C). It says class c is good up to 26001 combined weight. My truck is 12000# so I had the trailer builder rate the trailer at 13900 # just to make sure I was under the 26001 #.

SkidRoe

Ontario is the same way. Seems kind of crazy anymore for a CDL to be required for hauling a trailer over 10,000 lb. With the number of very capable pickup trucks out there, it seems quite antiquated to me. I agree there needs to be a limit, but it needs to be re-thought. I have an older Dodge one ton, 11000 lb GVWR, with a 14,000 lb trailer capacity: 25,000 lb GCW. It is no Frieghtliner, but if I loaded it to capacity, I would need a different class of license to operate it. Hello?? it's a pickup truck.... 10,000 lbs is nothing anymore. With my license (Ontario DZ), I can drive an unlimited weight straight truck with air brakes, pulling a 10,000 lb max trailer. At the same time, anybody with a regular car license can operate up tp a 22,000 lb vehicle pulling a 10,000 lb trailer: 32,000lb GCW. Doesn't make sense to me....