tracks and foamed tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kolo

I have the LX665 50 hp. I was stunned the first time I pulled the foam filled tire and tried to pick it up. Got out the scale and to my surprise 210 lbs each. Question i have is if I add tracks to the tune of another 800 or 1000 pounds will this really stress the drive train. I have to do something cause when I run in moderate soil I just sink and bury the machine . It is really flustrating. I know the tracks are great but dont want to kill the bearings and motor. Any body know what NH recommends.

mllud

I think all the manufacturers recomend not to uas tracks . some even void warantees. But the dealer sells them.
I have a LX865--60HP with foam filled tires and steel tracks. I know its probably added stress. I bought it like that. One thing is that if you get a rock inside the track the tire wont give and could do damage . Something has to give. I have not had any problems.I use my skid steer for personal use. I know there are other guys out there running like that. I think there are mixed views on foam filled and tracks.
I dont think the extra weight is as much an issue as the stress the added traction puts on the drive train. I think if you use it with common sence its ok. By the way my 12x16.5 foam filler tires weigh about 450 pounds each,
Steel tracks will make a huge improvment with not getting stuck. Mike

Earthwerks Unlimited

I think all the manufacturers recomend not to uas tracks . some even void warantees. But the dealer sells them.
I have a LX865--60HP with foam filled tires and steel tracks. I know its probably added stress. I bought it like that. One thing is that if you get a rock inside the track the tire wont give and could do damage . Something has to give. I have not had any problems.I use my skid steer for personal use. I know there are other guys out there running like that. I think there are mixed views on foam filled and tracks.
I dont think the extra weight is as much an issue as the stress the added traction puts on the drive train. I think if you use it with common sence its ok. By the way my 12x16.5 foam filler tires weigh about 450 pounds each,
Steel tracks will make a huge improvment with not getting stuck. Mike
Having foam filled tires with tracks in sloppy conditions-- to my mind--is negated to some extent by the added weight of foam then add to that the tracks. I run TracksPlus.com lightweight alloy tracks over my 12" pneumatic tires. The tracks add about 500lb. to the already approx. 7,500lb. weight. As was pointed out foam filled tires don't allow for the tire to give which will literally stall the hydraulics, not the engine (at least mine goes into relief). Even with only pneumatic tires I have gotten big roots, frozen ice/snow chunks, concrete chunks, rocks, baseball bats, sewer and water pipe, angle iron, and re-rod stuck in the tracks--sometimes they have brought me to a screaching stop. IMO I feel the drivetrain is up to the task with my setup. Not so sure if it would handle having foamed tires. (It's worth noting that the tracks I run have to be very tight otherwise they tend to slip in the wet stuff. Run-loose tracks may not be an issue.)

sandhills-elect

Having foam filled tires with tracks in sloppy conditions-- to my mind--is negated to some extent by the added weight of foam then add to that the tracks. I run TracksPlus.com lightweight alloy tracks over my 12" pneumatic tires. The tracks add about 500lb. to the already approx. 7,500lb. weight. As was pointed out foam filled tires don't allow for the tire to give which will literally stall the hydraulics, not the engine (at least mine goes into relief). Even with only pneumatic tires I have gotten big roots, frozen ice/snow chunks, concrete chunks, rocks, baseball bats, sewer and water pipe, angle iron, and re-rod stuck in the tracks--sometimes they have brought me to a screaching stop. IMO I feel the drivetrain is up to the task with my setup. Not so sure if it would handle having foamed tires. (It's worth noting that the tracks I run have to be very tight otherwise they tend to slip in the wet stuff. Run-loose tracks may not be an issue.)
You add that much more weight you are just going to add wear, maybe that can be offset by how much you can get done in a shorter amount of time, but i have my doughts. I think if you want a track machine buy one, other wise i would get some wider tires and forget the added weight if you are looking for floation, but that is just me. I don't like to have broke down equipment it cost to much money with down time and cost of parts now days. Good luck Brent.