Thoughts on a S250? Might trade up.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mikefromcny

I found a S250 for sale locally on craigslist. Ad says $5000, I'm ready to drop everything to buy it. Oops the guys says,, typo..$15000. But the owner will take $10000 with no bucket I'm told.. Lol. I'm gonna try to get him to include a bucket with it. On equipment trader they seem to be going from $15-25k. I'm guessing this is an earlier one. I'm hoping it has high flow, 2 speed, low hours and a cab, everything my 873 doesnt haha. What do I look for with these? I'm thinking its basicly the same as my 873, 1.5 more hp and 200 lbs of lift capacity. One thing that does worry me is all the electrical BS, which is why I bought the 873 with its analog gauges. Its a landscape company going out of business and at a glimpse it looks pretty good. Would love to know what you guys think.

reaperman

Your wish list for the 250 pretty much covers everything. Where I live a 250 of any year with low hours, 2 speed, etc would still bring good money. The t250's we run at work have never given us any electrical issues whatsoever. They both have the keyless entry/computer thing. And these machines have taken everything thats been throw their way. And Excavating it way harder on a machine than landscaping. Too bad you never asked about how many hours the machine has. And why would someone getting out the of business keep a skid loader bucket and not the machine? Unless they had two machines and are keeping the better of the two for themselves and want a extra bucket.

OP
OP
M

Mikefromcny

Your wish list for the 250 pretty much covers everything. Where I live a 250 of any year with low hours, 2 speed, etc would still bring good money. The t250's we run at work have never given us any electrical issues whatsoever. They both have the keyless entry/computer thing. And these machines have taken everything thats been throw their way. And Excavating it way harder on a machine than landscaping. Too bad you never asked about how many hours the machine has. And why would someone getting out the of business keep a skid loader bucket and not the machine? Unless they had two machines and are keeping the better of the two for themselves and want a extra bucket.
Reaperman, I'm hopefully gonna be looking at it tomorrow, So I'll see how many hours etc. I guess the owner of the business is thinking about buying a brand new machine for personal use after he's out of the business...must be nice to have brand new things lol. A new machine would come with a new bucket anyhow.

Bobcatdan

Reaperman, I'm hopefully gonna be looking at it tomorrow, So I'll see how many hours etc. I guess the owner of the business is thinking about buying a brand new machine for personal use after he's out of the business...must be nice to have brand new things lol. A new machine would come with a new bucket anyhow.
I wouldn't have an worries about the electrical system on a newer machine. Besides the possablity of a controller going bad, in my opion, G series and newer have less electriacl problems then the older ones. You F series has most electrical stuff on it as a newer one. Like I tell anybody looking at a used machine, have a dealer spend an hour checking it out. No need for expensive surprise after you buy it. I see at least 10 machines a year that guys buy thinking they got great deals and then bring it and I find a ton of stuff wrong. In the end it would have been cheaper for them to simply buy a nicer machine.

OP
OP
M

Mikefromcny

I wouldn't have an worries about the electrical system on a newer machine. Besides the possablity of a controller going bad, in my opion, G series and newer have less electriacl problems then the older ones. You F series has most electrical stuff on it as a newer one. Like I tell anybody looking at a used machine, have a dealer spend an hour checking it out. No need for expensive surprise after you buy it. I see at least 10 machines a year that guys buy thinking they got great deals and then bring it and I find a ton of stuff wrong. In the end it would have been cheaper for them to simply buy a nicer machine.
Update: Looked at the S250. Serial number 521311552 with a Kubota diesel. Was told its anywhere between 2002-2005. 2812 hours. Key start, foot controls, full cab with heat, 2 speed and high flow. Found out why its cheap..its rusty! Was used to load rock salt in the winter. Otherwise it runs good and everything worked good. The owner threw in a heavy duty grading bucket. The rust kinda sucks but for the money I dont think a better deal could be found. They will give me a call in april to come get it after snow removal season is officaially over. Chances are I will run it for a few years till the next "deal comes along". Let me know what you guys think, and maybe one of the techs here could confirm a year made :)

mrdeere1959

Update: Looked at the S250. Serial number 521311552 with a Kubota diesel. Was told its anywhere between 2002-2005. 2812 hours. Key start, foot controls, full cab with heat, 2 speed and high flow. Found out why its cheap..its rusty! Was used to load rock salt in the winter. Otherwise it runs good and everything worked good. The owner threw in a heavy duty grading bucket. The rust kinda sucks but for the money I dont think a better deal could be found. They will give me a call in april to come get it after snow removal season is officaially over. Chances are I will run it for a few years till the next "deal comes along". Let me know what you guys think, and maybe one of the techs here could confirm a year made :)
this machine was shipped to the dealer 26 jul 02 was put into service on 12 jan 03

OP
OP
M

Mikefromcny

this machine was shipped to the dealer 26 jul 02 was put into service on 12 jan 03
Thanks mrdeere. Went to my local "multi million dollar" dealer and they said all they could tell me was its somewhere between 2002 and 2005 and year meant nothing..haha.

Bobcatdan

Thanks mrdeere. Went to my local "multi million dollar" dealer and they said all they could tell me was its somewhere between 2002 and 2005 and year meant nothing..haha.
Year doesn't really mean anything. Changes are with serial number breaks, not model. Last couple years bobcat has been putting model year on the serial number tag, but I think thats just a gimick.