T180 bobcat power loss

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DKR

Hi, I have a 2011 t180 that has just started losing power under load its very noticeable when I have a full load in the bucket and try to go up hill. At full throttle with both sticks forward it just bogs down and feels / sounds like something is going to seize? (forward or reverse) it has had a new drive belt and tensioner fitted last week and the motor seems fine. I have changed all filters, checked case drain filters, oil levels etc, then took it at local dealer and they said they have checked it top to bottom front to back and everything seems fine, but clearly missing something. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks (I am based in New Zealand)

Bobcatdan

Call the dealer back and make them come to your job site. They probably couldn't loaded it down enough at their lot. It has to be determined if the hydraulic system is placing the load on the engine or the engine is weak. If something is too tight in the tracks. By chance, are you working in a lot of mud and was nice guy and washed it before taking to the dealer? Could be a problem with the brakes dragging. You could have a problem with the control vavle causing excessive pressure. The engine could have gotten dusted and has low compression. The muffler could be collapsing restricting exhaust. Turbo could not be developing proper boast. Transfer pump could be week. Crap in the tank. Bad fuel. Any smoke when it acts up, what color? Too many things to guess what's wrong without looking at.

OP
OP
D

DKR

Call the dealer back and make them come to your job site. They probably couldn't loaded it down enough at their lot. It has to be determined if the hydraulic system is placing the load on the engine or the engine is weak. If something is too tight in the tracks. By chance, are you working in a lot of mud and was nice guy and washed it before taking to the dealer? Could be a problem with the brakes dragging. You could have a problem with the control vavle causing excessive pressure. The engine could have gotten dusted and has low compression. The muffler could be collapsing restricting exhaust. Turbo could not be developing proper boast. Transfer pump could be week. Crap in the tank. Bad fuel. Any smoke when it acts up, what color? Too many things to guess what's wrong without looking at.
Hi,ithey had a digger bucket strapped into its bucket to put some load on it but obviously could not feel it,they say they checked hydraulic system and readings are all with in spec?tracks,rollers,idlers are all fine and have been checked,engine is a brand new motor done 800hrsno smoke at all,very frustrating!!mechanic is back out this morning so i can show him and will pass on your thoughts

Bobcatdan

Hi,ithey had a digger bucket strapped into its bucket to put some load on it but obviously could not feel it,they say they checked hydraulic system and readings are all with in spec?tracks,rollers,idlers are all fine and have been checked,engine is a brand new motor done 800hrsno smoke at all,very frustrating!!mechanic is back out this morning so i can show him and will pass on your thoughts
One thing I have seen is erratic rpm signal will cause the brake to come on. Generally the brake should slam on and kill the machine, but if the brakes arn't great, the machine will drive threw them. Had a beat to shit T300 do this. The rpm sensor will not set a code. If the rpm signal is bad, the unit doesn't think it's running and will set the brake.

Bobcatdan

One thing I have seen is erratic rpm signal will cause the brake to come on. Generally the brake should slam on and kill the machine, but if the brakes arn't great, the machine will drive threw them. Had a beat to shit T300 do this. The rpm sensor will not set a code. If the rpm signal is bad, the unit doesn't think it's running and will set the brake.
One last thought, had a rash of bad fuel caps not venting causing running problems. Haven't seen one do it and a while, but always check.

farmshop

One last thought, had a rash of bad fuel caps not venting causing running problems. Haven't seen one do it and a while, but always check.
While it acts up have someone check the fuel primer bulb. With a restriction it will suck flat. If it kills does it restart or is it like it runs out of fuel

OP
OP
D

DKR

While it acts up have someone check the fuel primer bulb. With a restriction it will suck flat. If it kills does it restart or is it like it runs out of fuel
Quick update;dealer has had 2 x mechanics on it for 2 days and they can not find the cause of the problem,so have sent all information to bobcat in America to see what they sagest?

OP
OP
D

DKR

Bobcatdan,the only thing they have found is the track motors both have a slight bypass,the lose 20psi over 1 minute but they (dealer)don't think that is the problem?your thoughts?they have turned the pressure relief valve up slightly,and i picked up the machine this morning and have tried it again and if anything it is slightly worse,i have another mechanic coming out tomorrow to look at it(i am getting very frustrated with this thing!!!)

Bobcatdan

Bobcatdan,the only thing they have found is the track motors both have a slight bypass,the lose 20psi over 1 minute but they (dealer)don't think that is the problem?your thoughts?they have turned the pressure relief valve up slightly,and i picked up the machine this morning and have tried it again and if anything it is slightly worse,i have another mechanic coming out tomorrow to look at it(i am getting very frustrated with this thing!!!)
What do you mean by a bypass of 20 psi from the motors? If they are seeing charge pressure drop off with the brake released, it would make me wonder if a brake piston seal in a motor is leaking. I could see one side affecting both sides.

OP
OP
D

DKR

What do you mean by a bypass of 20 psi from the motors? If they are seeing charge pressure drop off with the brake released, it would make me wonder if a brake piston seal in a motor is leaking. I could see one side affecting both sides.
What the dealer said to me was the only thing(fault)they can find with my machine is that when they pumped the track motors up to 4000psi they noticed that they had a slight buypass(letdown)and lost 20psi over 1 minute and bobcat say they should not loose any?but they feel that the charge pump is working to spec and would more than compensate the 20psi loss,and they are not prepared to pull the track motors out as they do not think they are in need of a rebuild or replace,and do not think they are the problem,your thoughts?

walio123

What the dealer said to me was the only thing(fault)they can find with my machine is that when they pumped the track motors up to 4000psi they noticed that they had a slight buypass(letdown)and lost 20psi over 1 minute and bobcat say they should not loose any?but they feel that the charge pump is working to spec and would more than compensate the 20psi loss,and they are not prepared to pull the track motors out as they do not think they are in need of a rebuild or replace,and do not think they are the problem,your thoughts?
Let's think logically. If hydrostatic motors are weak, this should not affect the speed of the engine. Just will bypass oil and the speed of the tracks will be delayed, but not the engine speed - it should be easier to rotate in this case. The only reason may be the brakes, if not releasing completely.Even in this case there will be heat - motors must be much more warm than the pump.This can easily be checked. Another reason may be blocked rolls or too stretched tracks, but you wrote that there is nothing wrong. I still think that this is a problem in the engine fuel line, exhaust, or air restriction. These engines not have a separate supply pump. Fuel injection pump sucks alone. Could there be something wrong and not enough fuel with the engine running under load. For this in another post I wrote to try with tube on top of the cab.

walio123

As these 20 psi may be an error in metering / if they had hung gauge with long hoses rather than metal pipes in this pressure slightly stretching the hose leading to inaccurate data. /However what valve are touched? Almost all valves are adjusted with shims not by turning in your system. As I recall only the main relief valve and aux relief valve in your hydraulic control valve are adjustable by turning. Nothing in the hydrostatic system is not adjusted by turning.

Bobcatdan

As these 20 psi may be an error in metering / if they had hung gauge with long hoses rather than metal pipes in this pressure slightly stretching the hose leading to inaccurate data. /However what valve are touched? Almost all valves are adjusted with shims not by turning in your system. As I recall only the main relief valve and aux relief valve in your hydraulic control valve are adjustable by turning. Nothing in the hydrostatic system is not adjusted by turning.
Uh, a Kubota in a T180 would have a mechanical transfer pump. Next to never fail, but anything is possible. I think they only put out 5-8 psi, not very much.

walio123

Uh, a Kubota in a T180 would have a mechanical transfer pump. Next to never fail, but anything is possible. I think they only put out 5-8 psi, not very much.
In most cases, every mechanic can determine when the engine lost power load of fuel shortage, even with listening and watching the exhaust. When there is insufficient fuel engine will not smoke. When there is high mechanical load or shortness of breath is black smoke under load and not short but constant. Мan allegedly not smoke. Тhese are my 2c.

OP
OP
D

DKR

In most cases, every mechanic can determine when the engine lost power load of fuel shortage, even with listening and watching the exhaust. When there is insufficient fuel engine will not smoke. When there is high mechanical load or shortness of breath is black smoke under load and not short but constant. Мan allegedly not smoke. Тhese are my 2c.
Thanks very much you guys,have another machanic coming to look and drive the machine this morning so hopefully he can come up with something? ?will update once he has been, thanks again

OP
OP
D

DKR

Walio123,while waiting for the mechanic i rigged up a separate fuel supply (bottle up high fed directly to the injector pump)but no difference, thanks

walio123

Walio123,while waiting for the mechanic i rigged up a separate fuel supply (bottle up high fed directly to the injector pump)but no difference, thanks
One reason falls. Next is insufficient air.You can detach the hose from the turbo / where it is coming from the air filter /. Touch the turbo propeller by hand. It must rotate freely. Try machine without hose. Before that look is there nothing around the opening of turbo, which can be sucked. If there is no difference attach hose and remove mufler. Try machine. If there is no difference you can be sure that the reason is not the engine. It may take an hour or litlle more work, but you will be sure. If the drive belt is too tight, it is also possible to cause loading. look at the drive idler. There is a pointer. It must be between 1 1/2 o'clock and 2 1/2 o'clock. If pointer is at the 3 o'clock sprinq will not be able to act and belt is tight. Next you can do yourself is to check the tracks tension ,rollers and idlers.All this is a job for no more than four hours and you can get an pretty good idea where the problem lies. If everything is fine then there remains the hydraulic and hydrostatic system - for it will need special tools and a good mechanic. Be careful and consistent in order to find the reason. Good luck

walio123

One reason falls. Next is insufficient air.You can detach the hose from the turbo / where it is coming from the air filter /. Touch the turbo propeller by hand. It must rotate freely. Try machine without hose. Before that look is there nothing around the opening of turbo, which can be sucked. If there is no difference attach hose and remove mufler. Try machine. If there is no difference you can be sure that the reason is not the engine. It may take an hour or litlle more work, but you will be sure. If the drive belt is too tight, it is also possible to cause loading. look at the drive idler. There is a pointer. It must be between 1 1/2 o'clock and 2 1/2 o'clock. If pointer is at the 3 o'clock sprinq will not be able to act and belt is tight. Next you can do yourself is to check the tracks tension ,rollers and idlers.All this is a job for no more than four hours and you can get an pretty good idea where the problem lies. If everything is fine then there remains the hydraulic and hydrostatic system - for it will need special tools and a good mechanic. Be careful and consistent in order to find the reason. Good luck
I thought of something else. Your shutoff solenoid maybe weak and does not allow enough fuel to enter the pump. Check it with an ohm meter. Disconnect the connector from the fuel shutoff solenoid. The reading between terminal C and terminal A must be 0.33 ohm. Between terminal B and terminal C must be 24.5 ohm.The terminals are labeled on the connector.One more thing. I guess the dealer took you a pretty good amount of money. Hold him responsible. He is the man who must fix your Bobcat. Call him and tell that problems persist and you're not willing to give money for nothing. Do they have worked on your machine, but no result. If you carry the flat tire to be repaired and they return it flat with the explanation that it is not actually flat - you will pay it?

OP
OP
D

DKR

Thanks,yes have checked tubo,belt tension,tracks,rollers,idlers,the dealer has not charged me for the time they had the machine,the mechanic that i had out the other day is coming back out next week and he wants to check a valve on the back of hydraulic pump and hook up a gauge to it and run it,also wants to check engine (injector)timing,will keep you posted