Red Rust or Algae in Fuel Filter after only 12 hours of installing new fuel filter that was causing power loss

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rancoon

Hey All - I have a 2013 Bobcat T630 (2,260 hours) in North Texas, and after only 12 hours of run time (less than 2 weeks total time), I had to remove my fuel filter to access my lower oil tank elbow (was leaking), and thankfully discovered that the fuel filter had an insane amount of rust ... or algae growth in it...
It's not floating, so I initiallly thought it was rust... but not sure how it could be happening?
My last fuel filter I pulled off of it 2 weeks ago didn't have any of this in it - but it was however causing power loss to machine over 1,800 rpms, and having to really prime the hand pump to even start up.
Any thoughts as to where this came from, and how to treat it?
I've ordered all of Power Service's diesel treatments (Kleen, Biocide, etc.)... hopefully will resolve any water I have in tank?
Thanks so much for your time!
52481BC8-635C-43A6-808D-6CC33F9E0D55.jpeg

brdgbldr

Hey All - I have a 2013 Bobcat T630 (2,260 hours) in North Texas, and after only 12 hours of run time (less than 2 weeks total time), I had to remove my fuel filter to access my lower oil tank elbow (was leaking), and thankfully discovered that the fuel filter had an insane amount of rust ... or algae growth in it...
It's not floating, so I initiallly thought it was rust... but not sure how it could be happening?
My last fuel filter I pulled off of it 2 weeks ago didn't have any of this in it - but it was however causing power loss to machine over 1,800 rpms, and having to really prime the hand pump to even start up.
Any thoughts as to where this came from, and how to treat it?
I've ordered all of Power Service's diesel treatments (Kleen, Biocide, etc.)... hopefully will resolve any water I have in tank?
Thanks so much for your time!
View attachment 5730
You may need to drain and clean out your tank. You could try to get a sample of fuel by disconnecting the tube from the primer ball to the engine and use the primer ball to pump some fuel into a glass jar and let it settle out and see what's in the fuel.

foton

somehow you intruduced fuel with junk in it I would assume ( I have seen bad fuel from the gas station too after a bad rain that covered the filling ports in the ground), do you have a bulk tank you get fuel from ,if so check it the filter there too, and treat as necessary. If you have a drain cock on the bulk tank pull off a sample there to check the bottom of the tank. does your water sensor work on the filter,if it does and did not go off maybe it is just rust and no water. There is a thing called commonally diesel bugs you might want to read up on them and determine if what you have there is their leftovers.

OP
OP
R

rancoon

Great Advice - thank y'all so much, Foton and Brdgbldr!
I had no idea about the little diesel bug devils... thanks for that heads up too!

Topper1

I have had similar issues in the past. Dirty (water in fuel) from gas station, dirty fuel and old fuel from transport tanks and storage tanks.
Most diesel treatments have the required additives to handle the potential issues described.
Storage and transport tanks should always be fitted with an outlet filter can.
Gas cans should always have a fine screen installed. Most come with one.
In my case, my 2 "field machines", I have installed a DIY removable fine mesh screen basket on the filler neck.
These 2 units fuel regularly from a number of sources, some questionable. Old farm tanks, drilling rigs, construction sites, gravel pits, which are not my own, but supplied by the customer. Fuels could be 5 year old? dirt, water, oil contaminated, In these cases I try my best to treat & run everything through filtration prior to my skid steer tank, or refuse the fueling agreement all together and use my own fuel at a added cost.
NEVER USE FUEL FROM STEEL DRUMS stored outside. They are horrible for water infiltration, algae, and rust..

Last edited:

Latest posts