Sealing chaincase covers on S185

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wirenut2266

Snooping around trying to find small oil leak, figured out it was coming from chain case covers on my S185. I'll assume they are original, and crumble at the touch with 4500 hours on machine. All the bolts were slightly loose as well. Is it best to replace with new factory/aftermarket ones, or better to go with old school 100% silicone? I am leaning toward silicone but would be nice to have another opinion/option. Thanks, Bruce

jerry

Kind of curious ,how high is the oil level in the chain case? I just used some silicone permatex makes called high torque , don't know if it is any better but it looked good.

OP
OP
Wirenut2266

Wirenut2266

Kind of curious ,how high is the oil level in the chain case? I just used some silicone permatex makes called high torque , don't know if it is any better but it looked good.
The oil level is at proper height. They are no other seals going out filling chain case with extra oil if that is your thought? I drive it up/down a fairly steep ditch from time to time sloshing it around, I'll assume this is when oil weeps out of bad gaskets and eventually finds itself on shop floor. Not a big deal just gets old wiping up........And my Labs seem to find it too! Bruce

Bobcatdan

The oil level is at proper height. They are no other seals going out filling chain case with extra oil if that is your thought? I drive it up/down a fairly steep ditch from time to time sloshing it around, I'll assume this is when oil weeps out of bad gaskets and eventually finds itself on shop floor. Not a big deal just gets old wiping up........And my Labs seem to find it too! Bruce
It is fairly common for the covers to loosen up and leak pass. I'm guessing yours is the older style with gaskets, the newer ones use sealant and I have never seen those leaks. I would recommand getting the correct bobcat gaskets, they are cheap. When installing them, get a tube of great stuff rtv from NAPA. Put some where the chaincase is welded together and on all the bolts. I use interior spray glue on the gasket to tack it to the cover before installing. If the covers have been ran loose, get new bolts for them too.

7LBSSMALLIE

It is fairly common for the covers to loosen up and leak pass. I'm guessing yours is the older style with gaskets, the newer ones use sealant and I have never seen those leaks. I would recommand getting the correct bobcat gaskets, they are cheap. When installing them, get a tube of great stuff rtv from NAPA. Put some where the chaincase is welded together and on all the bolts. I use interior spray glue on the gasket to tack it to the cover before installing. If the covers have been ran loose, get new bolts for them too.
dont use the gaskets, they are foam and will seep, if oil level correct and by that i mean front plug if you can touch with finger all good pull covers clean all surfaces and install poly seal avail at dealer a good silocone will work,anything is better than the foam gasket

OP
OP
Wirenut2266

Wirenut2266

dont use the gaskets, they are foam and will seep, if oil level correct and by that i mean front plug if you can touch with finger all good pull covers clean all surfaces and install poly seal avail at dealer a good silocone will work,anything is better than the foam gasket
I got the front and rear ones done. No gaskets were used. I used Blue RTV silicon from Napa Auto. Water, Oil, Gas resistant, etc. I believe you are correct (7LBS) that those gaskets weep. I was not impressed at all. Needless to say, getting that rear cover on without wearing most of the silicon is a feat in itself! Center cover to do yet, just to lazy to remove control arm, linkage etc, but must be done. Bruce