742B squirrel fan and timing covers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Scott Cee

I pulled the engine out of my 742B for overhaul, and the squirrel fan shroud is umm, not so great.

20230926_112312.jpg

20230926_112316.jpg

I'm thinking I'll patch it with some aluminum sheet and screws/nuts, if that seems reasonable?

Also, I'm assuming there was supposed to be a cover over the big rectangular opening above there? It was just open.

The machine obviously was overheated at some point. I'm struggling with the idea of overheating it enough to melt that shroud, but I guess so. There was no thermostat in it, and the radiator has some repairs on it.

Also the upper timing belt cover was just missing, and the lower one is all deformed, I'm guessing the heat also got it. Other than losing the ignition timing marks, which I think I can work around with a dialback timing light (I have a fancy one for setting up propane), is there any reason I can't just ditch them? They're NLA from Bobcat and I don't think I'll have much luck finding them used.

20230924_122942.jpg

You can see where the belt was rubbing it even. Plus the head of a broken bolt, but that's another story.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Has anyone ditched the whole squirrel fan setup and just put a couple electric fans in on the radiator/hydro cooler? I can throw the fan on my lathe and remove the blades and balance it, but that's the sort of mod there's no going back from.

Dave1234

Yes, there is a thick sheet metal piece that sits at a slant covering the opening above the fan shroud to assure that all the air must go through the Hyd oil cooler and/or the radiator. Should be pretty easy to fabricate. (FYI, Mine was a little tight to get in and out with the radiator hoses in place, but doable).

And, if it were me, like you I would also plan on sheet metal patches to more or less duplicate the shroud where damaged. There are still some 4g32 engines in wrecking yards. I'd try to get the timing covers via that route. Some 4g32s had a timing chain, others a belt. The chain version won't have similar covers. And some had dual cams. They may not work either, not sure. Don't know about the silent shafts version. Look for ~ 77-80 Dodge Colt or similar car. It will probably have to be a rear wheel drive version.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Yes, there is a thick sheet metal piece that sits at a slant covering the opening above the fan shroud to assure that all the air must go through the Hyd oil cooler and/or the radiator. Should be pretty easy to fabricate. (FYI, Mine was a little tight to get in and out with the radiator hoses in place, but doable).

And, if it were me, like you I would also plan on sheet metal patches to more or less duplicate the shroud where damaged. There are still some 4g32 engines in wrecking yards. I'd try to get the timing covers via that route. Some 4g32s had a timing chain, others a belt. The chain version won't have similar covers. And some had dual cams. They may not work either, not sure. Don't know about the silent shafts version. Look for ~ 77-80 Dodge Colt or similar car. It will probably have to be a rear wheel drive version.
I don't know if the Colt has the same timing cover or not. It does not have the same timing belt and pulleys. It may have counterbalance shafts too, which would probably make everything different. I have a gasket kit from one that I was going to see if it is the same on the cover, if it is then the covers are probably the same or close enough. Assuming it is the same, were still looking at finding a part for a 40 year old car that wasn't very popular, not to say it can't be done.

The other piece I realized is missing, or so I assume, is a divider between the radiator and muffler. Simple to make, but annoying that somebody would be so lazy as to not put it back in.

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Can you share your parts details/sources for your overhaul?
I will when I know more. Currently, I don't know exactly how we're going to fix this thing. I plan to provide something of a write up when it's all said and done, because unfortunately a lot of the information is either incomplete or confusing, and it would be nice to clear some things up.

brdgbldr

Here is a list of the cars that used the 4G32. It came from this website: https://www.enginenumbers.com/motorcode/4g32/

Also, don't forget that the 4G32 was used in forklifts.

At this time, our records show that the 4G32 was used in the cars listed below:

Car brandModelModel years
MitsubishiColt Celeste 1.61975-1981
MitsubishiCordia 1.61982-1984
MitsubishiGalant 1.6 Lim.1980-1984
MitsubishiGalant III 1.61984-1987
MitsubishiGalant Sapporo 1.61978-1980
MitsubishiGalant Sigma 1.61976-1980
MitsubishiGalant Sigma 1.6 Kombi1979-1980
MitsubishiL 300 1.61982-1986
MitsubishiL 300 1.6 Kleinbus1980-1986
MitsubishiL 300 1.6 Kombi, Kleinbus1980-1986
MitsubishiL 300 II 1.61987-
MitsubishiTredia 1.61982-1984

OP
OP
S

Scott Cee

Here is a list of the cars that used the 4G32. It came from this website: https://www.enginenumbers.com/motorcode/4g32/

Most of those cars were not sold in North America, or if they were it was incredibly rare. All of the ones used in Mitsubishi branded cars appear to have balance shafts and higher CR pistons. The Dodge Colt has balance shafts from what I understand, I found pictures of a timing belt "kit" for it and it comes with components that aren't the same, which suggests there is something else being driven by the belt, or the pictures were wrong. Looking at verified pictures of the cam gear, oil pump gear, and crank gear, plus the belt, they are profiled differently and possibly a different width. I've found references online that the valves aren't the same either, I think mine are okay so hopefully I don't need them, but there is some Colt valves available. Soooooo, I don't think much actually crosses over out of the available parts. There is crank and rod bearing kits available for the Colt though, and probably cam bearings, which should all be the same. Also rings, but they may possibly not be the same, it is a little hard to guarantee when a different piston was definitely used. I don't know if I'm going to try to buy forklift pistons (they are available) or if we will throw a sleeve in the worst cylinder. I can buy sleeves for very little money ($40~ each), but I am waiting on the machine shop before I buy anything. I want them to tell me what they think and what their distributor has before I go throwing money on sketchy parts. One of the old guys there seemed to think it was going to be no big deal, the other one looked at it with visible disgust, so either they can source everything or nothing.

As I said, the information available is incomplete and confusing.

brdgbldr

I sold my 742B and most of the extra parts I had a couple of years ago. I gave the new owner most of my resource materials also.

The whole issue with finding parts for the 4G32 has been going on for years in this forum. I wish we could get all the info in one place but I have also noticed that I can't find some of the old posts anymore.

Not sure if you have tried or not, if you haven't, search the forum for "4G32" and then also "642B" and "742B". There is a lot of good information but sometimes you have to dig for it.

There are places that still rebuild these engines. You may be able to source parts through them. Here are just a couple.

Dave1234

Most of those cars were not sold in North America, or if they were it was incredibly rare. All of the ones used in Mitsubishi branded cars appear to have balance shafts and higher CR pistons. The Dodge Colt has balance shafts from what I understand, I found pictures of a timing belt "kit" for it and it comes with components that aren't the same, which suggests there is something else being driven by the belt, or the pictures were wrong. Looking at verified pictures of the cam gear, oil pump gear, and crank gear, plus the belt, they are profiled differently and possibly a different width. I've found references online that the valves aren't the same either, I think mine are okay so hopefully I don't need them, but there is some Colt valves available. Soooooo, I don't think much actually crosses over out of the available parts. There is crank and rod bearing kits available for the Colt though, and probably cam bearings, which should all be the same. Also rings, but they may possibly not be the same, it is a little hard to guarantee when a different piston was definitely used. I don't know if I'm going to try to buy forklift pistons (they are available) or if we will throw a sleeve in the worst cylinder. I can buy sleeves for very little money ($40~ each), but I am waiting on the machine shop before I buy anything. I want them to tell me what they think and what their distributor has before I go throwing money on sketchy parts. One of the old guys there seemed to think it was going to be no big deal, the other one looked at it with visible disgust, so either they can source everything or nothing.

As I said, the information available is incomplete and confusing.
There are a lot of relevant and useful details about the 4g32, when silent shafts were brought on, rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive motor, etc. that can be extracted here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Colt