742B Aux Hyd questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dave1234

I am in the process of setting up a new snowblower to my 742B skidsteer. The blower is new. the machine is ~ 1994. As far as I can tell basic hydraulics on the machine are working as they should (I'm new to this). When I attach the blower I see multiple issues to sort out:
1. When I put the right control stick into detent (far right) I get no apparent hydraulic flow to the blower. When I take it our of detent, I get variable flow depending on where I hold the control stick, left/right.
Question 1--is that how the detent vs out of detent should work? If not, any suggestions? I was assuming that in detent I should get full aux hyd flow, less whatever is going to the wheels.

2. As initially attached, the blower fan turns backwards, but the feed auger turns the correct direction. I assume to get the fan to turn the correct direction I need to swap the flat face couplers on the ends of the blower hoses, but it seems as if doing that will make the auger turn backwards. Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like the factory should have gotten that wrong. Again--any suggestions or observations?

3. I assume my Aux Hyd fittings are as factory installed by Bobcat on my machine, but I have no way to know. The top one is female, the bottom is male. Which is pressure? Is that how they should be set up as regards the flat face couplers, or have the couplers been swapped with each other on my machine at some point?

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

brdgbldr

One thing to check, does everything reverse when you move the stick to the left side? It may not depending on how the blower is set up. If it doesn't you could just reverse the couplers on the blower.
You are correct that when the lever is put in detent you should get continuous flow. However, if the couplers are set up backwards this may or may not be why it isn't working. You will probably have to experiment.

On my newer machine the female coupler is pressurized when continuous flow is activated.

According to the parts manual, the female coupler should be on the bottom of a 743. You can check for yourself with your serial number:

OP
OP
D

Dave1234

Yes, experiment. I am hoping to avoid that if I can. Would like to just do what needs to be done and move on. It does look like the female should be on the bottom, assuming they got that detail right in the parts drawing. Looking at online pics I see the female both up and down, but more often down. I wish the manual would have color coded the Aux lines, but they didn't. I didn't get any reverse by shifting the control stick left or right, just a change in speed.
Thank you for the suggestions and details on your machine. I suspect tomorrow I will try swapping couplers.

oiu789

If you auger is rotating the right direction and fan is not switch the only the hoses going to the fan!

wings5j

I am in the process of setting up a new snowblower to my 742B skidsteer. The blower is new. the machine is ~ 1994. As far as I can tell basic hydraulics on the machine are working as they should (I'm new to this). When I attach the blower I see multiple issues to sort out:
1. When I put the right control stick into detent (far right) I get no apparent hydraulic flow to the blower. When I take it our of detent, I get variable flow depending on where I hold the control stick, left/right.
Question 1--is that how the detent vs out of detent should work? If not, any suggestions? I was assuming that in detent I should get full aux hyd flow, less whatever is going to the wheels.

2. As initially attached, the blower fan turns backwards, but the feed auger turns the correct direction. I assume to get the fan to turn the correct direction I need to swap the flat face couplers on the ends of the blower hoses, but it seems as if doing that will make the auger turn backwards. Am I missing something? It doesn't seem like the factory should have gotten that wrong. Again--any suggestions or observations?

3. I assume my Aux Hyd fittings are as factory installed by Bobcat on my machine, but I have no way to know. The top one is female, the bottom is male. Which is pressure? Is that how they should be set up as regards the flat face couplers, or have the couplers been swapped with each other on my machine at some point?

Thank you for any help or suggestions.
Dave,

I bought a 1969 Davis D100 backhoe and adapted it to my 742B. At first, when putting the aux into the full right detent, nothing worked.

I switched my fittings on the backhoe and voila, everything worked as it should.

If you don't mind sharing, what make and model snowblower did you get?

Thanks,

John

OP
OP
D

Dave1234

Dave,

I bought a 1969 Davis D100 backhoe and adapted it to my 742B. At first, when putting the aux into the full right detent, nothing worked.

I switched my fittings on the backhoe and voila, everything worked as it should.

If you don't mind sharing, what make and model snowblower did you get?

Thanks,

John
I switched hose ends as did you, and everything straightened itself out and appears to be working properly. Apparently someone in the past swapped my male and female connectors to make the bobcat match the pressure primarily coming from the male fitting rather than the female, as apparently every other mfg does. That puts my female on the bottom, and hard to grasp to uncouple. I suspect I will swap them back to the way they were on the bobcat (female above on primary return line), and reverse them on the snow blower.

I bought a Quick Attach 60 inch blower model 2020LT. As you can tell, I haven't used it yet. It was available with a 10-16 gpm version. I had been using a 60" Buhler PTO snow blower on my 1951 JD tractor (19 HP), and it worked great in terms of throwing snow, but I needed more HP for big drifts and/or less travel speed, and my neck is still sore from driving backwards so much last year, when we got an exceptional amount of snow. The PTO blower weighed ~ 400 lbs. The Quick Attach ~ 710 lbs. I think the PTO blower was ~ $1500. The Quick Attach $9500 delivered to Calif. It is not their commercial version, but looks like considerable overkill for my needs. It was coming down to my getting too old for the JD going backwards, and it was either get a better way to deal with snow or move. So I hope I bought another 10+ years here. Our snow here tends to be wet and heavy at times, and 0-2' deep, with 5-6' drifts. With the tractor I had to make sure I kept up with every storm, whether I needed to get out or not, and whether howling wind and sleet or not. I may be able to let the snow build up now since I can raise the blower up and adjust my travel speed to deal with extra depth. I need to move snow from ~ 1/8 mile of dirt driveway and road. I am keeping the tractor blower functional for this first year just to see. Also, The company that makes Quick Attach also makes another brand that they sell through dealers at a somewhat higher price and with apparently different drive motors. This one has an Eaton motor made in China, but I assume all hyd motors are made there. Hopefully Eaton will maintain parts long term. I forget the other brand name but I assume it is also in Palatine Il. There is apparently some sort of equipment convention in Las Vegas in late winter and they offered a substantial (20%?) discount if you ordered one then. I just happened to contact them at the right time and decided to buy it then to get the discount with delivery in March, too late for snow. It comes with a 2 year warranty, so it will get 2 seasons of testing. I don't know if anyone else makes a blower for the 11 gpm available. No doubt my PTO blower could have been converted, but I didn't and don't feel like I know enough about hydraulics at this point and needed something that would definitely work. If you buy used, make sure whatever you get has the low flow motor--they have lots for different flows.

Latest posts