S185 Leaking fluid from chaincase

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I have a 2007 S185 that is leaking chaincase fluid. It started as a pretty minor leak and now seems to be getting worse. A few years back I had all new wheel bearings and seals replaced, also new axles on one side of the machine were replaced. Could the leak have something to do with a faulty seal, or something else I should be looking for. Fluid is leaking out of a hole in the belly pan. How do I go about checking for this leak?

thanks in advance

brdgbldr

If fluid is leaking from the drain holes, either at the front or back of the chain case, then the fluid is probably not coming out of the chain case but from something else leaking under the cab.

There are only two places other then the anxels, unless you crackers something, where the chain case can leak. One is the front inspection plug which would be obvious. The second is a drain hole at the back of the chain case.

The second one can leak since there is only a rubber press fit bushing with a steel plug in it. However this would drain right next to the rear drain holes. It is located next to the fuel tank drain both are only visible by removing the steel drain cover behind the rear drain holes.

I would look under the cab for for your leak.

OP
OP
B
If fluid is leaking from the drain holes, either at the front or back of the chain case, then the fluid is probably not coming out of the chain case but from something else leaking under the cab.

There are only two places other then the anxels, unless you crackers something, where the chain case can leak. One is the front inspection plug which would be obvious. The second is a drain hole at the back of the chain case.

The second one can leak since there is only a rubber press fit bushing with a steel plug in it. However this would drain right next to the rear drain holes. It is located next to the fuel tank drain both are only visible by removing the steel drain cover behind the rear drain holes.

I would look under the cab for for your leak.
I am having to add fluid to the chaincase on a pretty regular basis. Is it necessary to remove the belly pan to get a better look? I understand it is extremely heavy. Where is the drain cover you were talking about located? Thanks for the help!!

brdgbldr

I am having to add fluid to the chaincase on a pretty regular basis. Is it necessary to remove the belly pan to get a better look? I understand it is extremely heavy. Where is the drain cover you were talking about located? Thanks for the help!!
I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the belly pan". If you mean removing the entire chain case and axle housing, that is a huge job.

The drain plug access panel is under the machine kind of between the rear wheels. It is just behind the two rear drain holes. It's about 3" X 8" and normally held on by three bolts. It helps if you can lift the back of the machine to access it.

If the oil is coming out of one of the front drain holes, then it is not the drain plug.

Where are you adding the oil to the chain case? Front plug, top cover?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
I'm not sure what you mean by "remove the belly pan". If you mean removing the entire chain case and axle housing, that is a huge job.

The drain plug access panel is under the machine kind of between the rear wheels. It is just behind the two rear drain holes. It's about 3" X 8" and normally held on by three bolts. It helps if you can lift the back of the machine to access it.

If the oil is coming out of one of the front drain holes, then it is not the drain plug.

Where are you adding the oil to the chain case? Front plug, top cover?
Isn't there a removable skid plate that is under the machine? Or is that part of the chaincase? I am adding oil to the check plug at the front of the machine until it is level with the plug. The oil is leaking out of one of holes towards the back of the machine. I will look for that drain plug access. Thanks again

brdgbldr

There is no skid plate. The chain case and axel housing are all one piece.

Here is the link the the parts catalog:

Enter your serial number and then click on "Drive Train" this will show you the bottom half of the machine. It will also show you where the inspection plate is.

OP
OP
B
There is no skid plate. The chain case and axel housing are all one piece.

Here is the link the the parts catalog:

Enter your serial number and then click on "Drive Train" this will show you the bottom half of the machine. It will also show you where the inspection plate is.
So I did some more looking and discovered that the drain cover is missing altogether, and it looks like the fluid is dripping right by the drain plug, but not out of the drain plug from what I can tell. So this more than likely means that I have a leak under the cab somewhere, correct? I also did notice that there seems to be some fluid leaking out of the axle. That's probably why I am having to add fluid to the chaincase occasionally?

brdgbldr

So I did some more looking and discovered that the drain cover is missing altogether, and it looks like the fluid is dripping right by the drain plug, but not out of the drain plug from what I can tell. So this more than likely means that I have a leak under the cab somewhere, correct? I also did notice that there seems to be some fluid leaking out of the axle. That's probably why I am having to add fluid to the chaincase occasionally?
If your leak is coming out of the "drain access", then it may be coming from under the cab but more likely from between the pump and engine. if the fluid is coming from above the fuel tank and chain case drain then it is leaking down around the fuel tank somewhere. If it was something further forward it probably would just drain out of the holes on either side of the chain case.

Just keep in mind that fluid can spray and run down things that may be further away from the actual leak.

OP
OP
B
If your leak is coming out of the "drain access", then it may be coming from under the cab but more likely from between the pump and engine. if the fluid is coming from above the fuel tank and chain case drain then it is leaking down around the fuel tank somewhere. If it was something further forward it probably would just drain out of the holes on either side of the chain case.

Just keep in mind that fluid can spray and run down things that may be further away from the actual leak.
The only place I notice fluid leaking is out of the rear drain access. I did notice a significant amount of fluid right under the engine when I opened the back door. Is there a relatively easy way to gain access to see where the leak is coming from?

brdgbldr

The only place I notice fluid leaking is out of the rear drain access. I did notice a significant amount of fluid right under the engine when I opened the back door. Is there a relatively easy way to gain access to see where the leak is coming from?
The only way to access the area between the pump and engine is through the access panels behind the lift arm cylinders.

You will need a good light to see inside there. I normally put a good bright shop light inside and also use a flashlight.

I assume you check your engine oil before every use, but if not, make sure the leak is hydraulic oil and not engine oil. My A300 had a worn out dipstick that would push out of the tube and spray oil everywhere.

OP
OP
B
The only way to access the area between the pump and engine is through the access panels behind the lift arm cylinders.

You will need a good light to see inside there. I normally put a good bright shop light inside and also use a flashlight.

I assume you check your engine oil before every use, but if not, make sure the leak is hydraulic oil and not engine oil. My A300 had a worn out dipstick that would push out of the tube and spray oil everywhere.
The engine oil is good every time I check it, so I don't think that is the fluid I'm seeing. I will see what I can figure out. I assume it would be beneficial to make sure that the hydraulic fluid tank is full and should I have the machine running when looking for the leak? Thanks again for all your help!!

brdgbldr

The engine oil is good every time I check it, so I don't think that is the fluid I'm seeing. I will see what I can figure out. I assume it would be beneficial to make sure that the hydraulic fluid tank is full and should I have the machine running when looking for the leak? Thanks again for all your help!!
Take a look without the machine running first. You may need to clean with a degreaser before you can find the leak or you may get lucky and it will be obvious.

I had a pinhole leak once in a line that I had to remove lines one at a time and then put air pressure to them before I could find it.

Do not run the machine if the hydraulic fluid is low. If it gets too low you could do damage to the pumps.

Also, it can be very dangerous to look for leaking hoses when they are under pressure. There is enough pressure in these hoses to cut off limbs or inject you with oil.

Better idea is to clean, run the machine without moving anything, shut it down, and look for the leak. If you don't find anything the first time, then start it up again and use one function, shut it down and look for the leak. Continue this just using one function at a time until you find the leak.

OP
OP
B
Take a look without the machine running first. You may need to clean with a degreaser before you can find the leak or you may get lucky and it will be obvious.

I had a pinhole leak once in a line that I had to remove lines one at a time and then put air pressure to them before I could find it.

Do not run the machine if the hydraulic fluid is low. If it gets too low you could do damage to the pumps.

Also, it can be very dangerous to look for leaking hoses when they are under pressure. There is enough pressure in these hoses to cut off limbs or inject you with oil.

Better idea is to clean, run the machine without moving anything, shut it down, and look for the leak. If you don't find anything the first time, then start it up again and use one function, shut it down and look for the leak. Continue this just using one function at a time until you find the leak.
I finally figured out where my leak is coming from. It's on top of the hydrostatic pump where the joystick controls hook up to the pump. See pics. Trying to find what this part is called and not having much luck. Do you happen to know is this a common problem and is this something a seal kit would fix?

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_150115777_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20231104_150115777_HDR~2.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231104_150059376~2.jpg
    IMG_20231104_150059376~2.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 44